How to smallmouth HELP!

Author
greenhead
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/26 21:03:13 (permalink)

How to smallmouth HELP!

My friend bought a new bass boat and we are very pumped to try out smallmouth fishing on the lake but need some help.  How difficult is it to find the fish ?  I think we will be coming out of Presque Isle area.  What is the best baits ?  Where can we get them up there ?  What depths & temps ?  Any help is highly reccomended.  All help is very highly appreciated.  Thank you.

11 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/26 22:12:55 (permalink)
    If you are going out on the lake in a Bass boat,get a good radio, good life jackets, and good insurance.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/27 06:24:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

If you are going out on the lake in a Bass boat,get a good radio, good life jackets, and good insurance.

By radio, spoonchucker is referring to a VHF radio. You must also have flares, a sounding device, (an air horn will do. Get a back up just in case), a throwable PFD, and something to clean up a small petroleum leak (should one occur), such as a towel. These items I mention (in addition to life jackets as spoonchucker mentioned) are required by law. If you are stopped by the Coast Guard, you will be checked for these items. I don't believe a radio is mandatory, but I wouldn't head out on Erie without one. I have a dash mount VHF radio on the boat, and I keep a handheld as a backup in my rapid ditch throwable. I strongly recommend that you have a GPS as well as a good working compass. I have been boating those waters off and on for close to 25 years, and I have serveral times experienced a fog so thick, that you couldn't see more than 50 ft. If that happens, and you have no navagational aids, you will be in deep doo doo. Also, make sure your running/anchor lights are in good working order.

I have seen 10 foot waves occur in the area you are planning to fish, and that crap came out of no where. Was supposed to be 2 to 3s, laying down to 2 ft or less (and it was 2 to 3s when we left the dock and began fishing). All of a sudden, and I mean within 15 minutes, we were in deep stuff. Coast Guard lost contact with a boat that day. We got back safe in my 22 ft deep V cabin off shore saltwater fishing boat, but a bass boat surely would've been swamped in a flash. If it gets real bad, and your closer to North East marina, make a bee line for North East and take a cab to get your tow rig.

Ok, lecture out of the way. Start fishing in 25 ft of water, and adjust depth +/- until you find fish. You can troll or jig. Deep diving cranks are what I use for trolling. I like Bill Norman Deep Ns and Bagleys Killer B2 deeper divers. Fire Tiger or silver/shad. Seems it's one or the other on any given day. I start with Fire Tiger. No fish within 1/2 hr to 45 minutes, I switch to the other color. As for jigs, you'll want tube jigs like Getz its. Ussually in the color of an Army green, or pumpkin seed. You can tip the jigs with a minnow. Work the waters between the cribs and Northeast.

One more thing, take a digital camera.

In return for the advice I give, I request that you practice catch and release with regards to the smallmouth and that you show courtesy to other boaters on the lake. There's alot of room on Lake Erie. There's no need to blast by someone within 40 ft at 50 mph. 

Good luck and be safe.
    FLATFISH4F
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/27 06:40:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

IF YOU DO GO OUT ........ DON'T FORGET TO ... WEAR ... YOUR LIFE VEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!! COLD WATER WILL KILL YOU IN A HEART BEAT ... FLATFISH
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/27 08:04:59 (permalink)
    I'm not sure about anyone else, but I thought the guy was seeking some smallmouth FISHING advice or information!?!?!?  Don't worry dude, I've seen a lot of bass boats out there, you just have to be smart, watch the weather and take ALL safety precautions....Just be careful out there and keep a close watch on conditions.

Now as for the smallmouth fishing.  The hottest baits are generally weighted tube jigs anywhere from 3" to 4" in length.  You can also pick them up on 4" curly tail grubs...my favorite color is black with chartruese tail.  Motor oil, pumpkin seed, chartruese and black are productive colors.  I usually fish it from Mid May into June until I start to target the walleye.  I just fish weed edges or points in the bay.  Out in the lake I usually head East out of the bay out in front of the factories and fish the rocks in anywhere from 15 to 25 feet of water.  I really depend on my Lowrance once I get out into the main lake to look for the fish.  Hope this helps and Good Luck with the new boat!

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/27 10:50:49 (permalink)
    there's more to fishing than catching fish.  the 1st thing you want is to get home from fishing the big lake.  greenhead stated his friend just got a boat and never fish erie before.  so the 1st thing i would want someone to know is how dangerous it is to fish and what you need to legally fish the lake.  after that you can start to talk about techniques.  you seem to just want to give the guy a jig and send him on his way.  would you take the responsibility if he did what you told him to do and the boat got capsized and they drowned.  especially this time of year storms blow in fast and hard.  there have been quite a few times i was holding the steering wheel extra hard on that lake, because when i left the dock it was like glass and by 10:30 there were 4-5 footers and i still has 8 miles to go.

check the reg book for what the required equipment is for the lenth boat you have.  only fish the lake during a stable weather pattern with less than 3 foot waves.  this time of year the bass will be anywhere from 5 ft to 40 ft deep, with 25 - 40 been most likely, relating to rocky humps or small ledges.  jigs and live bait will work best.  change colors until you find the preferred one.  more than likely the wind will be blowing and you'll need 1/2 to 1 oz jigs to get to the bottom.  use a meduim rod with low strech, thin diameter line.  rig live bait on a 3-way swivel rig.  very basic set up will get you fish.
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/27 11:44:04 (permalink)
    A Bass boat is not really well equiped for anything on Lake Erie, but first and foremost WATCH THE FORECAST and keep it tuned to the NOAA station to listen for impending doom. 

I prefer to troll for them, although many purists will scoff at that, I can cover a lot of water and ergo catch a lot of fish.  Deep running small sticks seem to work the best, I prefer Jr. T-stix, Dave's Shiners, and small Challenger minnows. 
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/27 12:19:32 (permalink)
    ShutUpFish,

Well aware of what greenhead was asking for. And yes, I have seen plenty of bass boats in those waters. But I have also been in conditions that were so rough, that a bass boat probably wouldn't get you back. The day I spoke of in my post above in which the waves were 10 ft, there was no avoiding it. They were worse than any conditions I have ever experienced on open waters (well beyond 5 miles out) of Lake Erie and we were only in 25 ft of water. The forcast was cloudy skies, waves 2 to 3 ft, diminishing to 2 ft or less, with no prediction of possible storms. And that is exactly the weather we were fishing in when all of a sudden the alarm on my VHF went off. We were trolling at the time and as soon as the alarm went off, I immediately told the guys to bring in the lines. No sooner than we had the lines on, the waves had already doubled in size. What's more, the storm was no where to be seen before it was upon us. The waves grew higher and higher. We were heading directly into them to get back to Lampe. I owned a 22ft Proline full cuddy (not a walkaround) at the time. There were several occaisions that when we'd go down into the trough,  green water would break over the bow, and a couple times even up and over the storm enclosure. I actually had to work the throttle to power up the face of the waves. It was like the movie Perfect Storm, only on a smaller scale. Before we set a course to head back in, I had my passengers put on their life jackets. Once we were in the 10 footers, I was thinking we might be putting the life jackets to their intended use. A bass boat wouldn't have made it. Period. The Coast Guard was attempting to re-establish communcations with a boat named "Sea Foam", but they couldn't. They asked any vessels in the area to keep a look out for the boat and said they last reported taking on water. The boat was no where in sight and I never did hear what the outcome was. We made it back, but it was scarey.

Going on Lake Erie in a bass boat is no different that going out onto the open waters of the Atlantic in a bass boat, the exception being that people are at the top of the food chain on the Erie. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but it's impossible to over emphasize how hazardous the situation can become.

On another trip, the fog set in so thick that visibility was 50 foot, maximum. And not everyone out there has the sense to adjust their speed. As a matter of fact, we were almost run astern by a charter boat (not naming names) that day. He missed us by about 20 ft when he veered at the last second. I was blasting the air horn repeatedly before then. He veered so hard, I could see his keel almost all the way to the stern of his boat. The piece of crap capt. just drifted off into the fog without even so much as an apology over the radio.

I have been boating those waters off and on since the early 1980s and I consider myself fortunate to have only had several close calls. The close calls have occurred only on a very small fraction of the days I have boated there. But greenhead needs to know how badly the poop can hit the fan there. Hopefully, greenhead will never have to experience the kind of situations I'm referring to.

I know I sound like a broken record and I apologize for that.

Brad 
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/27 12:34:40 (permalink)
    I'm sure he appreciates the help on all the safety issues on lake Erie, but I bet he is fully aware of the hazard capabilities on the lake as well.  No offense, but the bottom line is that the fellow was asking for smallmouth fishing advice....I'm sure if he took the time to research the fishing, he most cetainly will take the time to research the safety issues(but then again who knows).  I just commented because before my post, there was little advice towards the original posting which was seeking smallmouth fishing help.  I was just trying to address that issue. 

Now that he is aware of the safety issues, maybe someone could help the guy out with smallmouth fishing...Besides nobody mentioned that he doesn't have to drive out several miles to have a great day smallmouth fishing Lake Erie waters!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/27 13:41:29

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/27 21:32:53 (permalink)
    Most bass boats do just fine on the lake. I haven an 18 footer and regularly fish the lake, just watch the waves and forcast.

Tubes, spoons, grubs, drop shot rig will catch you some fish in deeper areas. Fish bottom rises or breaklines. Once we get toward May and June, fish will go shallower. Jerkbaits and cranks will do the trick.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/30 12:32:53 (permalink)
    Lake Erie and Bass boats dont mix well on rough days...but then again it doesnt do you any good in any boat on rough days...

I dunno if a vhf can save you if your boat is flipped over...watch the weather...lake erie can be as clam as a farm pond on some days and meaner than the mighty atlantic on others...

For smallies...assortment of tube jigs is pretty much the standard...live bait, jigs, lures you name it...pretty easy to fish to catch once they stack up on their spawning beds..

Popular areas are the Cribs and other shallow structured areas of lake erie in early-mid spring...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    RE: How to smallmouth HELP! 2007/04/30 14:00:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

I dunno if a vhf can save you if your boat is flipped over...

That's why it's a good idea to have a back up handheld VHF in a floating rapid ditch bag.

I always take my rapid ditch bag when I head out on the water. In it, I carry my backup handheld VHF, flares, whistle, my car keys (you want to make sure you can get home if you survive), my cell phone, boat registration and insurance info, and a floating compass (in case I'm out of sight of land).

Sorry to keep going on the safety thing.
    Jump to: