Author
Hefalump
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/24 12:58:57 (permalink)

What are my chances this weekend?

Thinking of going up this weekend....

What do you think my chances would be of catching a Steelhead...?
If you think I could.... would you reccommend Elk or Trout Run, morning, evening? 

I've never gone this late in the season, and the conditions sure seem challenging... low, clear, no flow, etc.... definitely challenging. 

Last year. late in the season (but not his late), I was upset to see old, beaten-up, worn-out, moldy Steelhead... but now I think I''m ready to handle those challenges.

Mike

What do you think and where? 

8 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: What are my chances this weekend? 2008/04/24 13:11:04 (permalink)
    There are still fish, in the creeks. Not as many, but more than a few. As to your chances, it would depend on your skill, and the effort you make. It is unlikely. that there will be any numbers of fish "staging" at the mouths, so Elk woud be a better choice than TR. Plus you will have "pellet heads" and Smallies available to fill the gap.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: What are my chances this weekend? 2008/04/24 13:18:27 (permalink)
    Check out the fishing reports. Jack says Elk is full of shiners and the fishing is tough.  Can't believe every post, but this one is unbiased.

seejib
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: What are my chances this weekend? 2008/04/24 16:12:44 (permalink)
    To make it a worth while trip don't limit yourself for just steel. If the creeks are still low, clear and no flow and i'm pretty sure they will be, the P.I. has some good fishing. I hear there are Jumbo Pearch headed to the shallows!!
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: What are my chances this weekend? 2008/04/24 22:19:02 (permalink)
    I have fished Elk the last 3 nights and managed one  steelie.  There are a lot of smolt and suckers.  The water is low and gin clear.  Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: What are my chances this weekend? 2008/04/24 23:27:53 (permalink)
    I would defiantly say that steelies are in the project waters of walnut...besides the fact they are beat up with few fresh...just use single eggs or minnows with no weight on ur line...I mananged a couple the last couple days...you should be fine...but it depends on ur skill...go to elk with a minnow...you could probably catch smallies all day...

Erie possibilities are endless....good luck!
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: What are my chances this weekend? 2008/04/25 17:26:55 (permalink)
    Maybe try fishing Conneaut Creek, a friend of mine has went for the past 2 weeks and he said theres a potload of fish in the creek right now 4-6 pounds and all fresh, I'd imagine some made it to PA by now....perhaps worth a shot.
    coolerfull1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: What are my chances this weekend? 2008/04/25 18:00:07 (permalink)
    Call presquisleangler bait shop on the east side.  He'll give you the scoop, but I would also give him the business when you arrive.
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: What are my chances this weekend? 2008/04/25 18:07:10 (permalink)
    Elk...  Right now...low, little to no flow, and clear.  There are still steelies (probably because there isn't enough water for them to leave), browns and smallies.  They are tough right now to say the least.  I would come and strip some buggers for the best chance to catch all of the species avalible right now.  Or fish the bay if that is a option..bass and panfish are on right now.
    Jump to: