trolling question

Author
fishinmike30
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/26 06:39:46 (permalink)

trolling question

im new to trolling i see you guy out thier have lots of fun so i figure ill try it my question is   when you use a spoon or a lure does the weight take it to the depth you want or is there some thing else i have to buy to get the lure to that depth?    any info will help  thank you

9 Replies Related Threads

LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: trolling question 2007/04/26 07:44:41 (permalink)
    If you're running crankbaits usually the lip of the bait and the amount of line let out takes the lure to the depth. If using spoons or lipless baits or worms usually dipsy divers, jet divers or downriggers are employed.  Do a search for Dipsy diver on this site and you'll find a bunch of stuff.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: trolling question 2007/04/26 09:12:22 (permalink)
    Mike,

There are a lot of variables to consider when trolling and I think if you were more specific about what you're trying to do and fish for, I could better help you.  I could, however give a couple of situations and examples.  Some variables to consider are:  water depth, lure capabilities, trolling speed, where the fish are in the feeding column, your line thickness, etc.  If I'm trolling lake Erie for walleye, I usually target the schooling fish on my sonar and determine what depth they are primarily feeding in.  Typically, in lets say 45 feet of water and fish holding at 25 feet, I would troll using dipsy divers let out at about 80 to 100 feet at about 2 mph.  this will allow the dipsy to take your lure presentation down to the feeding fish.  The presentation of my choice is usually the good 'ol worm harness, but spoons and cranks are also effective at times.  If, however, the fish are in lets say 15 feet of water, you can flatline troll crankbaits to get down to about 10 to 12 feet. Some guys also use planer boards or in-line planer boards....some even put jet divers on the planer boards to get the lures down to the fish and away from the boat.  For baits that do not dive, like spoons or harnesses...you could use weight about 5 to 10 feet ahead of the lure itself to get it down or even bottom bounce with weight and a 3 way swivel.  I like to always keep the bait running slightly above the fish because fish tend to strike up.  Think about their anatomy....their eyes are on top of their heads! 

Another consideration is your line thickness, speed, how much line you let out and the lure itself to determine the overall depth it will go. 

Now when I'm trolling for muskies, I typically target fish in water 25 feet or less and my baits rarely go deeper than ten or twelve feet.

Let me know exactly what you're trying to fish for and where, and maybe I could better assist.  Good Luck.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/26 13:01:09

fishinmike30
    New Angler
    RE: trolling question 2007/04/26 18:11:05 (permalink)
    i am thinking of tring for steelhead in presque isle then maybe smallmouth in the lake maybeof course i like drifting worm harness for walleye but that what i am targeting just a though  but thanks for the info it really helps thanks again......
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: trolling question 2007/04/27 11:50:56 (permalink)
    Steelhead in the Bay, although they are moving out quickly with warming H2O temp, usually hold in the top 10 to 12 fow, so you don't want to fish deeper than that.  Shallow diving stick baits (jointed rapalas, Jr. Shallow T-Stix, Shallow Dave's Shiners, little rippers, etc.)  and I like to run a keel weight, or a couple sinkers about 4 to 5 feet ahead of my spoons to help get it a little deeper.  Last time I was out, fish seemed to be staging at the channel ledges getting ready to head back out in the lake.

Smallies I like to target 10 to 25 fow east of the Bay all the way to Northeast, running smaller (3 to 4") deep diving stick baits and try to position them within 5 ro 6 feet of the bottom.  Precision trolling can give you some good depth curves for your baits.    
    KilDux
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: trolling question 2007/04/27 13:50:08 (permalink)
    Down riggers can precisely position your baits also.  IE you let out 50 or so feet of line with a spoon, or other bait, attach the line to your release on the rigger, and let the ball down just above the fish.  You can even set your sonar to mark the rigger balls.
    otwobriefly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: trolling question 2007/04/27 14:34:58 (permalink)
    You don't ever hear much about snap weights , but they really work good. Simple to use and cheap to buy, no special rods needed and with a little practice and experimenting with different weights , you can put them at any depth. A line counter reel helps a lot also.
    fishinmike30
    New Angler
    RE: trolling question 2007/04/27 19:58:32 (permalink)
    thanks so much you guys really helped me out alot i thank you and let ya know how i did    thanks again
    Fang1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: trolling question 2007/04/28 09:05:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Storm Warning 2

Steelhead in the Bay, although they are moving out quickly with warming H2O temp, usually hold in the top 10 to 12 fow, so you don't want to fish deeper than that.  Shallow diving stick baits (jointed rapalas, Jr. Shallow T-Stix, Shallow Dave's Shiners, little rippers, etc.)  and I like to run a keel weight, or a couple sinkers about 4 to 5 feet ahead of my spoons to help get it a little deeper.  Last time I was out, fish seemed to be staging at the channel ledges getting ready to head back out in the lake.

Smallies I like to target 10 to 25 fow east of the Bay all the way to Northeast, running smaller (3 to 4") deep diving stick baits and try to position them within 5 ro 6 feet of the bottom.  Precision trolling can give you some good depth curves for your baits.    

Add another "tip" to your trolling -- while smallmouth routinely do suspend, they are primarily associated with holding very near the bottom of the water column during pre-spawn and spawn periods (now thru June) and you can be VERY successful if you opt for long line trolling  and consistently ticking bottom. You can do that until the green scum begins to form on the bottom structure as the water warms then its difficult to touch bottom without 'gooing up'. Lures--Rapala segmented JSR5 or 7. Does it work? Two boats yesterday - 61 smallmouth from 6# 15oz to 2#, at least 40 fish over 5#. Give it a try!   
    fishinmike30
    New Angler
    RE: trolling question 2007/04/28 20:29:42 (permalink)
    you know you guys keep telling me about these lures my wife going to get mad i keep going out and buing them  lol  oh well she will live lmao  thanks again
    Jump to: