Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Little35
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/25 21:11:11 (permalink)

Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught

Here is an article on some Port Clinton, OH walleye poachers.

http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704240302

ODNR cites 33 for poaching
Officials believe sport fishermen took 140 more walleye than allowed
By KRISTINA SMITH
Staff writer

PORT CLINTON -- Thirty-three sport fishermen face charges of taking more than the legal limit of walleye while fishing Friday near the Lake Erie shore, an official said.
The anglers, who are from Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and other Midwestern states are charged with catching their limit of four fish, returning to the mainland to fillet them and heading back out onto the lake to catch more, said Bob Radcliff, Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife, Findlay Wildlife Office supervisor.

"We call it double-tripping," Radcliff said. "They're catching them rather quickly. The temptation is there to go back and catch another limit." Each fisherman faces one misdemeanor count of taking walleye over the legal limit. They are scheduled to have initial appearances Monday in Ottawa County Municipal Court.
Municipal court, however, only had charges listed for 19 anglers.
They are:

• Sergio Martinez-Estrada, Toledo.

• Timothy Roach, Sydney.

• Clarence Hughes, Sydney.

• Gary Volsard, Sydney.

• Gary Walter, Sydney.

• Brian Johnson, Columbia City, Ind.

• Brad Zent, Fort Wayne, Ind.

• Craig Loomans, Lomira, Wisc.

• Jeffrey Weber, Niagra, Wisc.

• Stephen Alexa, Vulcin, Mich.

• Gerald W. Rausch, Sheboygan, Wisc.

• Gerald J. Rausch, Chilton, Wisc.

• Jeremy Eastling, Kingsford, Mich.

• Todd Miller, Ionia, Mich.

• Randy Leonard, Greenville, Mich.

• Gledon Mason, Ionia, Mich.

• Brett Welter, Naperville, Ill.

• William Welter, Naperville, Ill.

• Craig Charette, Kingsford, Mich.
    Officials believe they took 140 fish more than allowed, according to the ODNR.
    Wildlife officers nabbed them after conducting surveillance along the Port Clinton shoreline, where walleye are spawning, Radcliff said. He declined to share any details about the operation.
    "I don't want to give away everything," he said. "Just know that we're watching."
    During the spawning season, which lasts from mid-March to the end of April, the walleye bag limit is lowered, he said. After May 1, each angler is allowed six fish per day, he said.
    Catching more than four during their reproduction period could endanger the walleye population over time, he said.
    "We want to protect that resource," Radcliff said.
    Allowing each fisherman the same opportunities to catch fish also is important, he said.
    "It's just not fair for one person to go and get eight, 10, 12 fish and the others get four," he said.
    Poaching is more common during spawning because the walleye are more accessible than usual, he said. If anglers had to travel several miles on to the lake to catch their limit, they might be less inclined to make a second trip in the same day, he said.
    E-mail Kristina Smith at mksmith@gannett.com

45 Replies Related Threads

tippy-toe
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 4334
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/25 21:18:08 (permalink)
      I hope this won't be just a slap on the wrist for these guys. The fish wardens need to send a message.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
      *commander*
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 2647
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/25 22:56:29 (permalink)
      hats off to the authorities. hope they confiscate everything from the violators. would love to see their boats and equipment get sold off.

hopefully they lose everything and have to shop here for their walleye fillets. $10.99/lb would have been cheaper. http://walleyedirect.com/
      STEALYS4ME
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 1443
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 00:21:16 (permalink)
      Good job by the ohio authorities   to much over harvest will kill the walleye population.
      fishtroller69
      New Angler
      • Total Posts : 1
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 07:16:04 (permalink)
      Greed, That's all it is.  Like out of state licenses, fines and penalties should be higher.
      Wally Cat
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 1073
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 07:33:23 (permalink)
      When fish are easy to catch(and so good) a lot of people go into a catch and keep frenzy just like fish go on a feeding frenzy. They disregard everything around them and have to get all they can. Hope the authorities do it right(with the fines) and articles about it get sent to their home town newspapers.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
      Author..... Wally Cat
      ShutUpNFish
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 3834
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 10:30:49 (permalink)
      Good for the Bas-Terds!  They deserve what is coming to them....The fines will be hefty I assure you.  The Ohio people are very hospitable everytime we go out there to fish or hunt....This is how idiots re-pay them!?!?!  Idiots like that ruin good things for us all!

35- Are you heading out fishing this weekend again?  I think I'll be hitting Pymy Sat. morning.  Maybe I'll see you there....Good luck!
      post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/26 10:32:14

Carpet Bagger
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 1834
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 10:55:56 (permalink)
      Notice how most are all out of towners...the real poachers are those who can drive home and come back without a trace of fish....i witnessed probaly 4 of these characters in my trip last week to port clinton...they launch at 6am back in at 9am clean fish leave...then are back hours later like they are just starting up the day....

The ones who are gettin away with it on a daily basis are the locals who choose to participate in double dipping...the campers and out-of-towners are the ones gettin busted cause they just cant hide them fish good enough...

I did see 4 boats and vehicles checked over and a few men carted off by the ODNR...

The fish are extremly close out there...we were limiting out in no time just 1mile offshore...its crazy and fast and furious...we were having a blast catching for fun.  I tossed back 3 little 20" females who were just LOADED with eggs...looked like they were about to burst...

Tippy-Toe...from what i was told when you are caught you are immediatly taken to jail until you are bailed out....i dont know what the exact fines are but im sure having more fish than allowed during this spawn is a fairly harsh penalty...they may even strip your license after hitting your wallet...
      post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/04/26 11:02:22

CB
      I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
      walcat01
      Expert Angler
      • Total Posts : 391
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 11:03:45 (permalink)
      I love it. Nail those suckers and take everything plus fine HEAVY. ATT: PA WARDENS:ARE YOU READING THIS?
      Carpet Bagger
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 11:10:19 (permalink)
      ODNR, they arent cheking your safety equipment that is for sure...they are there for conservation purposes...Ohio has PA beat on every aspect of Lake Erie...their access is better, their facilities are better, and their enforcement of fishing regs is strict, and from what i have seen it is extremly necessary.

CB
      ShutUpNFish
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 12:28:20 (permalink)
      CB,

In Ohio, my brother and I got checked when we launched and when we returned.  When we launched, the guy checked our equipment, registrations and all boating requirments on board.  When we returned, the Fish Comm. officer checked our walleye limits.  For as many years as I've been fishing PA (30 yrs or more), I've been checked maybe twice.  And believe me, I have put a lot of time on PA waters!....what does that tell you?  You have to admit, there is NO comparison between the two really, especially after you have experienced the best of both worlds.  Funny thing about it all is, PA probably generates twice as much money for fishing/hunting licenses yearly.  Things the make you go HMMMmmmmmm!
      post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/26 12:29:40

hunt-n-fish
      New Angler
      • Total Posts : 31
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 12:32:43 (permalink)
      Carpet bagger, in Ohio the ODNR is set up different then Pa.'s.  They have separate divisions for each aspect of the outdoors.  If Div. of watercraft was there at a ramp, then they're checkng just for boat safety equipment, nothing more.  The Division of wildlife was undoubtedly there also and are checking for only fish and wildlife violations, such as what was printed in the article.  What they often do is to run projects over the course of the year, which oftentimes brings many additional wildlife officers from other counties up to assist in the LE units enforcment efforts.  Some may work plan cloths while others are in uniform.  By bringing into the area additional officers, this might quadruple the amount of enforcemnt as well as information collected (such as who fished, # of fish caught by a person, #'s on the boat to compare to other ramp/access to lake contacts, etc.).  The thing is, there really aren't many public ramps with access to lake erie in the area.  You can count them on both hands and still have fingers left over, so information gathering is really easy in determing if someone has already fished that day.  It seems alittle coincidental that all where out of state, which ment they proabably used only the boat ramps for access.  I will say this, Ohio's wildlife officers are alot more visible then Pa.'s and W.Va.'s.
      crappiefisher
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 3350
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 13:07:08 (permalink)
        At least in PA the Walleye season is closed from March 15 thru May 4. Might
      make it easier on them?
      ShutUpNFish
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 13:27:55 (permalink)
      Who said anything about making things easier?  They actually take advantage of a great resource they have, capatilizing on it and doing their best to protect it.  The ODNR does a pretty good job enforcing their laws and doing pretty much everything that can be done to help prevent laws from being broken.  Being visible and making frequent checks are part of that process and it is certainly part of their job descriptions.  I personally think that if our enforcement agencies start to focas on capitalizing on our resources rather than making things easier on themselves and collecting more money, we might actually get somewhere.
      post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/26 13:44:28

hunt-n-fish
      New Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 14:20:24 (permalink)

Alot of the problem is money for the department or division.  Ohio's fee for hunting and fishing lic. all seem fair.  But you must understand that all the states also receive federal monies, i.e.- P-R tax (federal tax on hunting equipment), not just from license fees, to enforce game laws, salaries, land use, etc.  Someone ought to find out how much of the pie the game commission gets.

Ohio does a very good job when it comes to lake erie.  But if you're talking poaching on lake erie, the first thing that comes to mind are the Canadians, not so much as fisherman.  I'm glad law enforcement can do to job to get the few 'bad' anglers.  To bad law enforcement can't do more when the Canadians set nets across the boarder.

Canada views lake erie as a commercial fishery and as a renewable resource for there industry.  Canadians don't view lake erie recreational or hold it to the same standards as the pristine inland water and lands.  Imagine for 1 year the Canadians don't gillnet.  It doesn't take anyone long to realize the number of fish that would be swimming for another season(s).  Canadians own 1/2 of LE, so when it comes to management, they have alot of "say" at the annual LE management meetings to determine quotas, etc. as they are set for all the states and themselves.    As long as Lake Erie has fish, poaching will be done and stealing by the Canadians will continue.

post edited by hunt-n-fish - 2007/04/26 14:23:06
      Carpet Bagger
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 15:48:18 (permalink)
      PA closes the season but ive never caught a bunch of walleyes till at earliest june...nowhere near the numbers in PA as OH!

Yes i understand the branchs of ODNR...but doesnt that tell you something...they have branches!!
      PA license $37.50 ohio nonres-$40.00....i buy both each year..but man im saving a whole 2.50 living in PA...

CB
      hunt-n-fish
      New Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 15:55:47 (permalink)
      That is alot for a resident anything!
      crappiefisher
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 17:52:08 (permalink)
         The Allegheny is loaded & prob. cleaner than Lake Erie.
      Easy Pickens
      walcat01
      Expert Angler
      • Total Posts : 391
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 17:57:32 (permalink)
      Compare facilities, Ohio & Pa, it's a friggin joke. Pa. sucks!
      tippy-toe
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 4334
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 18:00:14 (permalink)
      ORIGINAL: crappiefisher

At least in PA the Walleye season is closed from March 15 thru May 4. Might
      make it easier on them?

I was gonna ask, why would you have an open season on a naturally reproducing fish during its spawn...that doesn't make allot of sense

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
      crappiefisher
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 18:05:59 (permalink)
        Move
      spoonchucker
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 8561
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/26 22:10:15 (permalink)
      Yeah Penna, is terrible. I don't know why ya'all live here. Look, Pa. stocks probabley 5+ times the number of fish, into 10 times the number of streams and lakes, than Ohio. This is all done through license fees alone. Ohio pays for infrastructure, hatcheries,dams, boat ramps, through general revenue TAX monies. To compare the two, is to compare apples to hand grenades. I'd bet Penna, sells more out of state licenses to Ohio'ans than Ohio sells total.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
      ShutUpNFish
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/27 08:31:44 (permalink)
      Yes, youre right spoon, but we're just lucky to have all these wonderful resources.  We did not build a lot of them, many were already here.  We simply have better terrain for hunting and fishing in PA and we're lucky about that.  Nobody is debating who sells more or where the money comes from, it just goes to prove that we should have more money and how much of that money is being put back into these resources?  The comments are that, through experience, people have noticed better quality and maintained facilities, better management(with VARIOUS species), more visable and working enforcement and quality fishing opportunities...out of state.  Now, I know the fishing opportunities are here in PA.....And you're right about PA generating all this $$, where is ALL the money going that PA generates from license fees from residents and non residents alike?  And I know what you're going to say already.  I know a big chunk of monies go into stocking, but there is NO reason why we cannot have better facilities, launches and more visible enforcement.  All I'm saying, along with many others who have eperienced fishing in surrounding states are saying, is things in PA could be BETTER!!  If you disagree with that, you must either be blind, or you just don't do a whole lot of fishing in different places.  And guys' smart-arse comments about moving and going somewhere else to live is pretty lame....I like PA, I really had no choice as my parents brought me up here.  It is only natural for people who go to other places, to see that things might be better, more progressive and run smoother.  And those people bring those ideas home only to try to improve their own place...thats not so bad is it?  Or is PA too old and traditional for change?
      post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/27 10:12:01

Carpet Bagger
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/27 08:47:29 (permalink)
      ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

I'd bet Penna, sells more out of state licenses to Ohio'ans than Ohio sells total.

I find that extremly hard to believe.....I saw the port clinton pack last weekend on locust reef and it looked 3X bigger than any perch pack i have ever seen and there were more than one of em out there...

I buy both each year!...so do countless amounts of guys i know...

So why stock all these creeks?  So the people can get in one week of fishing?....it doesnt make sense...People really feel like outdoorsmen catchin 10in rainbows in 3ft of water while they look at a Sheetz, Wal-mart, or giant eagle...not to mention all the litter and garbage those "outdoorsmen leave behind"...

Maybe Ohio just puts money into things they can see prospering over long term periods...instead of just giving someone a puddle of water and throwing fish in it so you can fish 3 days a year....thats not even remotly taking care of those who buy a fishing license to use year round...

Personally, i am not a trout fishermen, so i could care less how many trout they stock into these lil creeks so people can get in one or two weeks of fishing.  Its pointless to my needs as a fishermen...I have fished openeing day for trout one time....I worry about facilites and making things better available to the public...

What do you think would be a better money maker honestly the stocked trout...or A super marina where guys are payin $1000+ to keep boats, buy gas, ice, bait, fish cleaning, ect....I think funds for stocked trout should come from those who want to catch em.....the licensing should raise the cost of a trout stamp and use this towards trout advancements...And leave the rest to general fishing purposes and the development and improvments of docks and boat launches throughout PA...

I can catch trout on a 5cent eagle claw hook a penny splitshot and a 25dollar combo from walmart...not alot of money invested in the sport...hell the license costs more than the whole fishing outfit...

you start talkin about guys with boats, motors, rods, reels, lures, bait, gas...YOU ARE TALKIN REVENUE...the return would be huge to the local economy if it was offered to the public...A marina half as impressive as some of these in Ohio would get a great response in PA...

I buy a Lake Erie stamp...and i dont see any changes to the Lake Erie facilities at all....

There is not 1 impressvie ramp or access to Lake Erie in PA...not 1...even if they charged 5 bucks to launch guys would line up for it......even New York has some of the most beautiful boat ramps i have ever seen to Lake Ontario..

Have you ever been to Port Clinton, Geneva, or Ashtabula?  Something half as elaborate would be more than suiting to the Lake Erie boaters and fishermen!!

What about the bass, the walleye, the muskie, the striper, and crappie fishermen...when do they see the fish they love to catch being catered to...
      post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/04/27 12:36:36

CB
      crappiefisher
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/27 12:37:54 (permalink)

Move

I was just playin. You yo-yo , shut up & fish

CB,
      makes some good points though.
      steelydaze
      Expert Angler
      • Total Posts : 376
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/27 12:58:38 (permalink)
      Im all for better launches. Why not start charging boaters five bucks to launch like N.Y. and Ohio do.
      *commander*
      Pro Angler
      • Total Posts : 2647
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/27 13:51:49 (permalink)
      is PA going to use the money for better launches or line somebodys pocket with the new found dough. are they going to wait for the old launches to deteriorate and then say they dont have enough money to rebuild them and have to charge $10/day. PA launches are not the best compared to other places, but i'd be happy just to see the docks on the rivers put in before Memorial Day.

heres a question i'd really like to know the answer to. why do PA roads suck arse compared to other states?
      ShutUpNFish
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/27 14:25:23 (permalink)
      Things that make ya go...HMMmmmmmmm

Careful what you say, you might be told to move, get out, relocate to another state!

steelydaze
      Expert Angler
      • Total Posts : 376
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/27 16:44:51 (permalink)
      Yeah PA is just awful
      crappiefisher
      Pro Angler
      RE: Ohio Walleye Poachers Caught 2007/04/27 18:31:21 (permalink)

Move

I was just playin. You yo-yo , shut up & fish

CB,
      makes some good points though.

I live in a shack.
      post edited by crappiefisher - 2007/04/27 20:04:40
      Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
      Jump to: