Any upper river striper reports yet?

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/20 03:03:23 (permalink)

Any upper river striper reports yet?

C'mon now I know some of you guys have been out...how was it? Herring easy to get?
 Big-time jonesing to get out there myself.  Hope to hook up with our Moderator this week and have some fun on the river.  REEL I'll call ya later man

24 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/20 08:20:23 (permalink)
    yoh yank, I opened up last week at the catskills with a 7 lb released football from shore and a small schoolie brown off a deep cove (pepac) As gorgeous as it was, me and a friend did shoreline spooning around the whole res. rather take the boat out. We barbacued and ate like kings and it was terrific outing even though trout wasn't hittin.. surface temp was still a very cold 39.when we were there tues/wed/thurs.. 400 plus miles overall on tundra.Now i anticipate a dry fly outing this week with more the same on the resis. let me know how those stripers are runnin!
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/20 12:55:10 (permalink)
    I fished the river Friday with eagleed - started fishing @ 5:30am fished till 1:30 not one herring all day ... Only saw about 5 boats all day ... Thinking about taking this week off the fish really don't seem to be here in big numbers and the river needs to warm up a few degrees...
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/20 15:22:00 (permalink)
    REEL-  OK that sounds good to me. I will probably stick to the trout this week, or maybe even take a jaunt south to shore fish the Hudson.  I have no clue where to go though..any good shore spots within 20 or so miles of Albany anybody know of?

BACK - 7 pound football? Thats a lunker and a half!  I heard the Pepacton had some big fish... I shore fished there briefly by the big bridge, on the way back from Roscoe area. I wish I owned one of them zillion jonboats they had laying around.   I will be down to fish the Beaver, Willow and Delawares in a few weeks, got a free place to stay too
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/20 16:12:32 (permalink)
    Nothing to show here, went out both Sat & Sun (only about 3hrs each day) we got a few herring with the stoolie, didn't even try Saibki rig. So we tried live, dead & chunk. Drifting & anchored.

My next time out is Friday with a fellow Fishusa member  ... it seems he gets around, LOL ... our mods a fish **** LOL
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2008/04/20 16:13:39
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/20 19:56:17 (permalink)
    YanK:

You could try fishing near Passano Paints from shore line.  I've seen a lot of people fishing there over the years, so there must be some action once the stripers get up the Hudson.  The other spot is near the Troy dam on the Green Island side.
    Let me know if you have any luck, as they can't be too far away with all this warm weather.

Eagle Ed
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/20 22:38:05 (permalink)
    HIYA ED-

I see you're scaring all the fish away again, they must have heard you were coming .
    I should have been more specific, I am trying to get away to where it's a little less crowded, and farther south.  I know there must be some spots between Rensselaer and Hudson on the east side of the river, I'll just have to go find out. I'll only have chunk bait unless I get lucky and get some live ones on a little dart or something while I wait for a hit. High tide is at 630, I'm going to head out around then to the baitshop and try my luck with the incoming tide.
    REEL FORCE
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/21 20:20:53 (permalink)
    Gonna hit the Hudson again this time w/  BADASS BASSIN BRAIN  on friday .... will post a report ...
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/22 11:02:37 (permalink)
     Went out to "The Wall" at Green island, stayed til I lost 4 rigs (that would be a little over an hour) caught one nice channel cat about 8 lbs that I thought was a small striper til he got close. Those things are a welcome addition to the river, they're a good fight and I understand they are here in abundance.  I saw a guy catch a carp the size of a beagle, a good 20-30 lbs of goldfish. 
    High tide and high water combined for tough conditions. If we can get a good incoming tide in the AM., I'm there.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/22 11:08:07 (permalink)
    Knock em dead,  Reel and Brian I hope its a good day out there for ya.  Leave some linesiders for the guys at the dam though
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/23 10:03:47 (permalink)
    Yank:

You could try up around Hudson Falls/Fort Edward.  There aren't any herring or stripers, but it is a lot less crowded.  Thanks for the plug about me bringing my bad fishing luck to REEL FORCE.  However, he should have mentioned that I had the only fish on all day and lost it.
    Hope to see you on the water.

Eagle Ed
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/24 03:19:28 (permalink)
    Ed you know I'm just giving you the business....   I probably jinxed you on the ice.  I went on a boat for stripers twice last year, and got skunked both times so I'm not exactly the In-Fisherman myself. 
    I think I may go chunking down by the dam between 10-11am. Again, not a favorable tide but at least there should be some shoreline to ply by then.  I'll report if I do.
    REEL FORCE
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/24 17:51:17 (permalink)
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/27 22:46:26 (permalink)
    Perfect morning lowtide tomorrow (monday 4/28).  Going to try some chunking and some shad darting, either at Troy Dam in Green Island or in South Troy, whichevers less crowded.  (The Troy spot is crowded with like 3 people). I tried it last week on a high tide, and got nothing but snags. This time should be a lot action. Any of you other landbound anglers want to join me, give a call after 7am at 669-3589. I plan on getting there by 8:00.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/28 21:56:26 (permalink)
    monday 4/28
    Miserable day, constant rain.  Decided to fish under Collar City Bridge to stay dry, but it was kind of shallow and no hits, so I moved to Watervliet at the bike path and got wet.  By this time, the frozen herring was mush and only good for one cast before falling off.  Caught a couple of shad while jigging for herring, they are a lot of fun on a light rod.  Couldnt get a single live herring to fish with.  So it goes. Oh well I'll go back tomorrow and try again.
    MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/28 23:45:23 (permalink)
    RF I'm gonna have to bow out this weekend . The steelies are dropping back and I need to work on my presentation .
    Now is a good time to test flies and presentation .. This past weekend was stellar and I predict the same for next w/e .
    I never leave fish to leave fish to find fish .

Sorry brah,  but I'm out for the strippers 
    I'll be hunting the jummpers . .

REEL FORCE
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/04/29 18:17:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MohawkRiverDan

RF I'm gonna have to bow out this weekend . The steelies are dropping back and I need to work on my presentation .
    Now is a good time to test flies and presentation .. This past weekend was stellar and I predict the same for next w/e .
    I never leave fish to leave fish to find fish .

Sorry brah,  but I'm out for the strippers 
    I'll be hunting the jummpers . .

No problem Dan ... not sure what type of condition the Hudson is gonna be the next few days after this rain ...and with the next few days and nights onn the cool side the water temps should drop a little prolonging the Stripers from spawning, so we will have plenty of time to hook up.

Golfnfish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/05/01 07:51:13 (permalink)
    Hey guys I am new here but love the info. Here is my question. I just bought a 14 ft. open bow boat its got a 25 hp on it. I have never been on the hudson for the Stipers and was wondering if any one would be willing to give some input on where a good place is. I have 2 young boys and would love to see them hook in to a big one.
    I can trailer it any where but live in Schenectady area.
    Also should i invest in a fishfinder for the river?

GolfnFish
    REEL FORCE
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/05/01 12:24:04 (permalink)

Welcome to the group ...
    PM sent ....
    post edited by REEL FORCE - 2008/05/01 12:25:59
    KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/05/02 07:07:00 (permalink)
    OK.  I simply can not take it anymore.  I can't continue to watch you guys fish the river from my classroom everyday (I teach in Green Island and have a clear view of the river and dam from my room) without giving the fishing a shot.  I am a transplanted downstater who upon moving to Ballston Spa has concentrated on FF for trout, but I have heard way too many good things about the fishing on the Hudson to not give it a try. Especially when I am right here. As I would be doing most of my fishing straight from work I would be unable to get the boat down here, so my question is this, can I do any decent fishing from the shore using the access from the Ford parking lot.  If so what type of equipment would I need.  I would be content targeting shad during that run, and I have plenty of heavier equipment from my saltwater days on the Long Island if stripers would be realistic from shore or with some light wading.  Any thoughtsor tips on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Showing up is 88% of life!
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/05/02 19:05:47 (permalink)
    KayderossZ:  You can get access for good shad fishing from the Ford Parking Lot.  Most of the successful fisherman use light weight spinning gear with long rods and 6# test.  You'll need to get small shad darts (Dicks or local fishing shops) and small curly tail jigs work ok as well, but are usually too light to cast very far and may not sink adequately due to the strong current.  Bring your waders.  Those things fight really hard and will give you a tussle on the light gear.  There is also good shad fishing to be had just below Passano Paints where the bike trail starts for the linear park along the Hudson.  Take a trip down there, talk to the successful fisherman and they're usually glad to tell you what to do--its not like its a big secret.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/05/03 08:53:11 (permalink)
    Hi Kaydeross... that must be torture watching us fish while you're stuck in a classroom> Call a Field Trip!
    As for the fishing at the Ford lot/Dam, it's a good spot for shad from the bottom of the steep gravel path south down to where the easier trail is near the power lines. Shad darts in a variety of colors can be had at Conroy's on 19th St in Watervliet, thats closest to where you are. The smallest ones you can get a decent cast with I prefer, like 3/16 or 1/4 oz. I like red/white and chartreuse/red or chartreuse/white. Get a nice shad on your Ultra light or light tackle gear and you'll be hooked. Like EacleCrg said above, the Passonno Paints spot is also big for shad. The lot is smaller and it is crowded weekends, but it's a good spot with less snagging.
    Back to the dam, there is mostly striper fishing going on north to the wall. Live herring work best, but you can use cut bait. Be prepared to lose a LOT of tackle, snags are notorious around this area. Most people use a 3-way swivel with a lighter test leader for the sinker line, and the baited hook rig on the other side. This way you only lose a 75 cent sinker instead of your whole rig. I have lost 5-6 sinkers in under 2 hrs there plenty of times. Sinkers should probably be at least three ounces near the dam, it's a very strong current. Some people use big bucktail jigs and swimbaits and other large lures. If you use cut bait, you will likely also get into one of the channel cats that abound there, also a decent fighting fish.
    I hope that helps you enjoy the river outside your window.
    KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/05/04 16:16:37 (permalink)
    Eagle and  Yank, thaks so much for the input.  I just put a nice streamlined package together and I'm going to keep it in my car.  I'll definitely give it a shot.  When do the shad typically get up aroung the dam?

Showing up is 88% of life!
    REEL FORCE
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/05/04 18:42:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KayderossZ

Eagle and  Yank, thaks so much for the input.  I just put a nice streamlined package together and I'm going to keep it in my car.  I'll definitely give it a shot.  When do the shad typically get up aroung the dam?

Right about a week ago....
    Golfnfish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Any upper river striper reports yet? 2008/05/04 20:27:50 (permalink)
    Just got home from being on the river 4.5 hours of Scenery! 7 herring and 1 Log.
    Stripers not to good to me
    Jump to: