Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2007/03/21 21:00:17 (permalink)

fast or slow rods, which do you prefer?

I have always been a fan of slower rods. How bout you guys?

My personal favorites are Winston WT's, and I am currently getting into bamboo, actually i'm building one myself.

31 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/21 21:03:45 (permalink)
    Are you building a boo from scratch or did you buy a blank??    I have always wanted a boo for steelies Looking at some blanks the last few weeks

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/21 21:11:21 (permalink)
    I'm building one from scratch. A good friend of mine is teaching me the art. Here is his website: http://www.adhrods.com/

I never thought there was so much to building a cane rod. The one I am building is a taper designed by Thomas Maxwell (half of Thomas and Thomas rods). Cant wait to finish it. I'll post the pics when its done.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/21 21:13:05 (permalink)
    That's awesome   Why don't you post some pics "in Progress"

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/21 21:14:48 (permalink)
    I plan on working on it friday, i'll post some pics then.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/21 21:57:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thedrake

I have always been a fan of slower rods. How bout you guys?

My personal favorites are Winston WT's, and I am currently getting into bamboo, actually i'm building one myself.

Not a fan of fast or slow action , but do like moderate action rods the best.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/21 22:01:23 (permalink)
    I guess there is good and bad aspects of all actions. For trout, I like slow-moderate actions. I just think they protect light tippet better.

As far as larger fish, bass etc... I do often perfer a slightly faster rod.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/21 22:27:45 (permalink)
    Mid-size to big streams i like fast action, small streams i favor a slow action rod.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/21 23:04:59 (permalink)
    Most of my rods are medium fast.

If I'm fish lakes, with 8wt +, I like faster rods.  Steelheading, med. fast.

Streams say ... J size, I like med. fast.  Anything smaller, I like a little slower.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/22 03:10:02 (permalink)
    Different rods for different jobs. I have everything from a slow 7 footer to a fast 9 1/2 foot 8 wt with a med 13 1/2 ft spey to boot.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/22 07:02:38 (permalink)

I'm building one from scratch. A good friend of mine is teaching me the art. Here is his website: http://www.adhrods.com/

I never thought there was so much to building a cane rod. The one I am building is a taper designed by Thomas Maxwell (half of Thomas and Thomas rods). Cant wait to finish it. I'll post the pics when its done.

I've been lucky enough to cast a few good rods though I've thinned out the collection. Mostly blue collar types. Grangers, Orvis, Phillipson DF,  Heddon Featherweight. .  
    I've been thinking about taking the plunge to maker for a few years now but it's a tough sell getting the initial investment past my wife. She doesn't understand why I need more fishing rods. Go figure.   I've read W Cattanach's book and realized its not something I'd want to do without hands-on guidance. JD Wagner offers a class but it's like a $Grand$ for a week long course plus the rod you made.  
    You're Lucky to have someone to take you under their wing. Good Luck.

Which specifis taper are you talking about????
    From what I've read on discussion boards, I'm now intriguied by the Maxwell Era Leonard Baby Catskill (short 3-wt). 

post edited by dano - 2007/03/22 07:09:50

Gone Fishing
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/22 07:46:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

I've been lucky enough to cast a few good rods though I've thinned out the collection. Mostly blue collar types. Grangers, Orvis, Phillipson DF,  Heddon Featherweight. .  
    I've been thinking about taking the plunge to maker for a few years now but it's a tough sell getting the initial investment past my wife. She doesn't understand why I need more fishing rods. Go figure.   I've read W Cattanach's book and realized its not something I'd want to do without hands-on guidance. JD Wagner offers a class but it's like a $Grand$ for a week long course plus the rod you made.  
    You're Lucky to have someone to take you under their wing. Good Luck.

Which specifis taper are you talking about????
    From what I've read on discussion boards, I'm now intriguied by the Maxwell Era Leonard Baby Catskill (short 3-wt). 

The taper is one that never got a chance to make it to production. The rod was called a "penns creek taper". A close friend of mine had got the original rod from Thomas Maxwell himself. Its a 7.5' 5 weight with a thick butt and light tip.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/22 09:32:18 (permalink)
    Not a real expert on rods, but I think the slower action rods if I am correct are better for roll casting, which I do a lot.

As for the boo.  I fished a restored antique boo rod last fall and landed 3 steelies with it.  Nice action, felt good until it colapsed while fighting the third fish, which I did manage to land inspite of the broken rod.  It was a thrill to hold a piece of history in my hands and battle a fish with it.  I think it would be awesome to fight a steelie with a new boo rod.  I have a friend who is really into boo rods and has mentioned he was trying to figure out how to build one from  pieces of bamboo flooring he picked up.  Sounds like quite a job to me, but I am sure he will figure out a way to pull it off.

Good luck with the boo rod and show us some pic's when you get it finished, and more importantly some pics of the steelies you land with it....

pax vobiscum +
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/22 12:06:12 (permalink)
    For steel i like a mod. fast action spey and a slow action for trout.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/22 18:20:07 (permalink)
    Drake,,, er Dano is it????, Sounds like a nice dryfly rod. Good luck

Bughawk, Unfortunately, new boo rods aren't cheap. Even if you can find a local maker it usually cost around 600 minimum. The more popular the maker, the more the rod cost. Down and Across Rods in Buffalo builds a hollowbuilt rod especially for Great Lakes steelhead but way above anything I'd want to spend.
     As for the floor model rod, that's a tough one and he would have a tough time. The bamboo for rods is different stuff. Fibers are much more dense on rod boo. I'm not saying in can't be done. If there's a will there's a way but creating 6 perfectly tapered, mirror imaged sections without the right tools, forms, ect...would be difficult. And you can get a culm of the right bamboo at a fairly reasonable price. Most of the price in new boo is hardware and labor.

But Bug, I'm like you. There is a certain charm in fishing an old classic. Those rods seem alive and have personality unlike glass or plastic rods which are fishing tools. Much like a hammer or screwdriver is a tool.
       I admit, those longer, heavier cane rods can wear me out so mostly I fish steelhead & Bass with the plastic rods. Yea, I'm a wimp. But it is nice to fish boo once in a while.   

Gone Fishing
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/22 20:38:23 (permalink)
    Slow for short casts and always for nymphing, moderate for a dry fly geared day. A slow rod really seems to lose its punch fast.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/23 18:16:47 (permalink)
    I made a slow action 10 footer 7 wt. for steelhead and I just can't get used to it, my favorite for trout is my Sage 5 wt md. fast action.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/25 10:32:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: waDerboy

Different rods for different jobs.

That about sums it up for me.
    If its dry flies, big water and windy, I'll chose a tippy rod. Even though I prefer casting something with a more moderate action.
    The only exception is when I want to fish a particular rod. I'll look for water where it fits.
    I'm right now realizing I have way to many 5 weight rods.

Gone Fishing
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/25 14:53:01 (permalink)
    Dano,  you will be minus one coming up here.  My buddy wants the Orvis for sure.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/27 20:59:14 (permalink)
    I prefer fast action for my casting stroke, and the type of line I use.
    I have med. & med. fast rods. They are gathering dust waiting for the kids to get big enough for.

Lyrical
    big brown
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/27 22:42:39 (permalink)
    I like a med fast act.rod. works good for me. my first rod was a full flex orvis
    i hate that rod with a passion. i never casted a good fast act. rod just a couple
    junkers. i don't know if i would like the fast act. or not.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/28 13:52:53 (permalink)
    a few random thoughts....

Another reason I dont often fish faster rods for trout is this: with slower rods you can keep your linespeed slow during the cast, resulting in more time to mend your line in the air before it touches the water. This can improve your dryfly fishing.

Lots of people prefer fast rods because they believe they can cast farther. I have a few good friends that can shoot a 90ft line with a bamboo rod. In trout fishing, how much further could you need to cast?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/28 15:48:09 (permalink)
    It all comes down to personal preferance, and casting stroke.
    I love fast action and I hardly ever cast 40 feet.
    For me a tight loop and faster speed= less trouble.
    I have a particular Brand and model rod that fits "me" and that's what I use exclusively. Every weight rod I fish is this model rod. I don't like playing around with timing and all of the other things that make a birds nest when I'm trying to concentrate on a fish, which most of the time is a wild Brown Trout on an extreamly difficult spring creek.
    Just my thoughts.

Lyrical
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/28 17:52:33 (permalink)
    Drake, there is truth behind the advantages of a slower loading rod.
    I'll add the fact that fast rods suck at roll casting.

But, there are benefits to fast action rods and fishing the dry fly.
    The reason I fish a fast 5wt XP and fast 4wt Ultra Legend on some streams is the same reason salmotrutta speaks of. Tight loops.
    Near the end of April when the grannoms first appear and into the early May hatches, we usually don't have many calm days where wind isn't playing havoc with your line. The higher line speed, helps to give a low trajectory, tight looped cast in these windy conditions. This is important to me because of the large size of the streams I fish.
     Another advantage is the shooting capability of a fast rod.  Strip off some line - cast - point & shoot.  This is where the 9 ft. XP fits.

On the 8 ft. fast 4 wt I fish. The advantage to that rod is in shooting and driving flies under the low overhanging tree branches that shade the opposite bank. This is very important on a couple of streams I fish where they like to rise in those hard to reach places.

I guess we have to settle for trade-offs because there is no one rod that is exceptional at evrything.
     I feel more comfortable and relaxed casting a slower rod but I can't overlook some of the benefits of a fast stick.

Gone Fishing
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/28 18:39:45 (permalink)
    Salmotrutta-

What model rod do you fish?  We seem to have similar styles and I'm curious as to what you use. 

Mike
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/28 20:57:49 (permalink)
    I fish the Sage XP. They recently discontinued the XP, but can be found on Ebay  new with warrenty card. I picked up a 6 wt. this way recently.
    When trout fishing I use a 7' 6" 4 wt. (476XP).
    Sage has a great warrenty. Doesn't matter how you break it- they fix it, or send a new one for $40 (to pay for labor & shipping).
    I use Royal Wulff Triangle Taper lines to keep loops tighter, and the taper also helps with roll casting. When I get a new line I usually trim 6-8 feet off of the front to suit me. With those two products married together I can do things I had only dreamed of before. I also use an Orvis CFO on the 4 wt..
    If you resolve to get an XP I would advise getting a light reel so as to not throw the outfit off balance as well.
    The outfit is very light, and that counts if you have shoulder, or elbow soreness after fishing all day. This I know from experiance. I have several mid. grade Orvis rods that felt like a chore to cast all day because of the weight of the rod combined with the energy you need to get the materials to flex.
    When I fish the Xp it is almost a mindless flick of the wrist and I can hit a paper plate @ 30 feet all day long.
    As far as nymphing- I can feel anything bumping that fly in the handle.
    I am still in shock they would discontinue such a wonderful rod.
    I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone. This is what works for me.
    Tight lines.

Lyrical
    big brown
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/29 21:54:29 (permalink)
    have you tried the new z-Axis yet? its pretty sweet.
    i was playing with one at a fly shop the other day,
    to expensive for me
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/29 22:38:20 (permalink)
    Big Brown-
    Tried them out, and they are too fast for me. I discussed this with several others who hace tried them and all agree it is too fast. The only person who didn't agree was the fly shop salesman that thought they were about the same, if not slower. Go figure.
    I'm not putting the rods down, but they are not what I would care to have.

Lyrical
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/30 08:59:08 (permalink)
    I hear the X axis isn't quite the rod the xp is.  I never casted one, can't say I will, at least with the intent of purchasing one.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: fast or slow rods, which do you prefer? 2007/03/30 09:41:42 (permalink)
    i love my superfine its great for  small streams. it is a slow full flex rod.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: