Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth

Author
Presquisleanglr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/14 21:56:49 (permalink)

Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth

The key to cold water small mouth 6lb or 8lb test line, 1/8 oz. jig, and a lively emerald shine or spot tail.   Fish very slow and low every so lightly bouncing on bottom.  These two fish were caught in 30ft of water by the Hammer Mill intake crib.  Note the dark color of the fish and the winter mud spots on  both fish.
Soon as the water worms up a bit most of the spots will fade out, Don't get to rambunctious to chase small mouth just yet, two- three a day is a good outing.And for small mouth being hooked up in the bay? Someone is full of extremely good luck, highly skilled or full of something else.

24 Replies Related Threads

bigsteelie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/14 22:33:51 (permalink)
    My buddy and I were out fishing in the bay for some perch and he hooked into a really nice small mouth probably about 3-4lbs. If the picture works you can see the condos in the backround.

Attached Image(s)

bigsteelie
    New Angler
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/14 22:35:11 (permalink)
    well the pictured didnt work sorry guys. how do you post a picture?
    bigsteelie
    New Angler
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/14 22:42:22 (permalink)
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 07:02:11 (permalink)
    Whats with blacking your face out.
    tom88
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 07:10:34 (permalink)
    Just for the record there are a ton of smallmouth in the bay check out Presque isle bassmasters 1st tx was won with 13 lbs on 3 fish of smallmouth. that was 2 weeks ago.

smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 09:19:31 (permalink)
    Nice SmallMouth.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 10:53:51 (permalink)
    Andy, have you ever noticed parasites on the smallmouth in the colder water?  I caught one this weekend out of French Creek and it had what appeared to be small leeches around it's gills...  Kinda weird, I took a pic but they don't really show up cause they were under the gill plates.   
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 11:04:05 (permalink)
    Tom.

Only three fish weighed in by the WINNER, would suggest that there AREN'T a ton in there. YET

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    releasem
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 11:31:53 (permalink)
    Very nice smallie.

tom88
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 11:45:57 (permalink)
    ummmm no offense but it was a 3 fish limit 1 person so thats a 4.33 lb avg , trust me there are a ton of smallies in the bay
    tpr25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 12:47:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dealinsteel

Andy, have you ever noticed parasites on the smallmouth in the colder water?  I caught one this weekend out of French Creek and it had what appeared to be small leeches around it's gills...  Kinda weird, I took a pic but they don't really show up cause they were under the gill plates.   

I caught 2 Allegheny river smallies on Saturday that had lampreys attached to them.  I've never seen that before.  Definitely a time when I wish I had my camera.
    Bass100
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 12:51:02 (permalink)
    smallies have been in the bay for a while now!!!
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 13:19:27 (permalink)
    You guys keep sayin' that...good idea!

I guess nothings kept under the belt nowadays!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 13:27:11 (permalink)
    Yeah, now it will be REALLY hard to find a spot to fish on that little stretch of water, called PI bay.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 13:53:14 (permalink)
    It's not even that, it's the guy that came up on me last weekend while I was in my inflatable pontoon with his 15 hp and cut it like 50 feet away and yelled are you catchin anything???  Well, hmmm...not anymore boss!  I respect people's distance, I didn't come out here on a Sunday to fish with the choir, so lower your voice when you're yellin for a report.  He then proceeded to complain that the panfish weren't there, but they "SHOULD BE!"  I told him to try the lagoons, where they SHOULD BE!  He proceeded to swamp my little boat, yelling about something...all I catch is these **** bass and I'm lookin for panfish...The joys of the weekend fisherman.

even if the whole bay is open they'll climb in your pocket cause you know where the fish are.
    post edited by dealinsteel - 2008/04/15 13:54:31
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 14:18:05 (permalink)
    even if the whole bay is open they'll climb in your pocket cause you know where the fish are.

It's even a bigger lake and the same thing happens there too.  So many guys fish the bent rod pattern.  Then they motor all over your drift and complain "there ain't no fish here."
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/15 15:28:58 (permalink)
    As quickly as that water is warming, I would be surprised if the big females aren't getting shallow by now.  On most Canadian shield lakes, it is shortly after ice out when the big femmes are getting up shallow.

May be able to confirm or deny this on Friday...
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/16 07:20:06 (permalink)
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/17 16:06:16 (permalink)
    nice tom,,once again Mr. Erie was put in his place,,,,not so informed afterall.
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/19 21:22:02 (permalink)

That sparked a memory from last year.  I caught a drum err...sheephead  last year on erie that had like 20  leech like things under its gill plates.  I noticed that he didn't fight at all for his size and when I lifted him by the gill plate I felt them.  They were little dime sized leech colored balls with a sucker firmly attached to the flesh.  I wasn't sure what to do so I took a pair of pliers and pulled them off of it. (yes I may have saved a sheepheads life)  Since then I've noticed a few more sheepheads with one or two of these things attached.  Anyone else seen anything like this?
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/19 23:05:30 (permalink)
    It appears that not a lot of research has been completed on this association.  There are some studies underway now but not a lot.  Here is what I could find tonight.  Maybe I can come up with something else once my journal link starts working again...

While the majority of leeches are parasitic on fish belong to the family Piscicolidae, two species of Glossiophonidae (Actinobdella inequiannelata and Placobdella pediculata) Show a strong preference for fish hosts.  Placobdella pediculata  recorded mainly from the Midwestern United States has a high degree of host specificity for the freshwater drum Aplodinotus gruniens (Bur, 1994)……..
    From Ecology and Classification of North American Freshwater Invertebrates James H. Thorp, Alan P. Covich

A recent article from Journal of Fish Diseases Vol. 31 Issue 3 Page 229 March 2008
    Identifies what I think we are talking about as Actinobdella pediculata.      

Recent appearance and pathology of Actinobdella pediculata (Hirudinea) on freshwater drum, Aplodinotus grunniens Rafinesque, in Hay Bay, Lake Ontario

Little is known specifically on the feeding relationships between parasitic leeches and fish in North America. During an electrofishing survey conducted on the main stem of the Kentucky River in the summer of 2000, the presence of leeches was documented on six species of fish. The leech species observed were Piscicolaria reducta (Meyer, 1940) of the family Piscicolidae and Actinobdella pediculata (Hemingway, 1908) in the family Glossiphoniidae. Attachment locations for Piscicolaria reducta included various sites in the buccal cavity of green sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus), largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides), and spotted bass (Micropterus punctulatus), on the caudal fin of logperch (Percina caprodes) and spotfin shiner (Notropis spilopterus), on the anal fin of spotfin shiner, and posterior to the eye of a largemouth bass. Attachment location observed for Actinobdella pediculata was on the inside of the operculum of a freshwater drum (Aplodinotus grunniens). This study established new host and attachment locations, the diverse presence of Piscicolaria reducta on various fish species, and substantiated the high degree of host specificity of Actinobdella pediculata for the freshwater drum.
    Flotemersch, J. E. AND D. J. Klemm. OCCURRENCE OF TWO LEECH SPECIES (ANNELIDA: HIRUDINEA) ON FISHES IN THE KENTUCKY RIVER. Presented at North American Benthological Society, La Crosse, WI, June 3-8, 2001.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/20 00:54:23 (permalink)
    It happened to me on 4/18.Was fishing with the current eastbound in front of Cherry Street Marina,two guys in a brand new 21 foot Triton with probably a 225 or 250 hp engine on it(beautiful boat),were haulin'****from the head of the bay.There were only maybe 50 boats that i could see in the whole bay but they came right up to me and my brother and fished on the inside wall of the marina while I was fishing the outside.We were around a casts distance from each other with the wall in between,but it's a big water,not like it is a 10 acre lake.I kept trolling along thinking "Hey,I'm out here to have fun,no need to get upset.It is way better than working."I wasn't lighting the world on fire and neither did they since I didn't see them hook a fish.That was not the thing that ****ed me off.Less than 5 minutes later a 30 foot charter boat with 6-8 guys on it came hauling****full speed into Cherry Street Marina with a full load of guys on it from a half day charter around 11am or noon.The "captain?" was putting out a 4-5 foot wake until about 50 yards from the marina.I've got a 20 foot newer bass boat.As my boat plowed into the waves from the charter and residual waves combined bouncing back off the metal wall sent water over my bow causing my bilge to come on later,all the guys in the charter looked intently(or amused) from inside the marina to see how my "little boat" handled the waves.I understand that bigger boats put out bigger waves,it is part of the territory.However,I have always taken the utmost care in not trying to swamp another boat,like a canoe or small aluminum boat.It is just common courtesy and boating etiquette.Whoever was driving that boat had no care for anyone at all.Let's all try to pay attention this year to others.Don't go full speed though a pack of boats obviously fishing.If you cross lines with someone else anywhere in PI bay or Lake Erie,you're an idiot and need to take up(fill in your dumb****sport here).

landem
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/20 13:20:22 (permalink)
    If you like to fish with lures try a suspending jerk bait in cold water. Get it down the right depth and give it a drag and a  long  pause, drag and long pause 5, 10, even 20 seconds between drags.

Pro Angler
    Bass Crack
    Stickadynamite
    Bass Blaster Jigs
    http://www.landemlures.com
    Carphead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 284
    RE: Lake ErieCold Water Small Mouth 2008/04/23 23:05:15 (permalink)
    CATMAN610 Quote: "nice tom,,once again Mr. Erie was put in his place,,,,not so informed afterall."

Best quote so far this year.  Funny stuff
    Jump to: