Anyone turkey hunt with a bow?

Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/11 20:01:50 (permalink)

Anyone turkey hunt with a bow?

What type of broadheads do you use and how are they different from regular big game hunting heads?  Did you ever put an arrow in or through a bird and have it fly away anyway?

9 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Anyone turkey hunt with a bow? 2008/04/11 20:23:37 (permalink)
    Don't even carry a shotgun anymore all archery.

I use the same Rockets (expendables) I use for deer. A well placed arrow(center mass) on a Turkey really knocks their dik in the dirt.

I've shot at strutting gobblers before and only hit feathers and they flew away. I wait for them to come out of strut now to better judge the body location.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone turkey hunt with a bow? 2008/04/11 20:56:34 (permalink)
    That would be so much fun, but I never hunted turkies before, so I'm going with the shotgun this year.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Anyone turkey hunt with a bow? 2008/04/14 14:14:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Don't even carry a shotgun anymore all archery.

I use the same Rockets (expendables) I use for deer. A well placed arrow(center mass) on a Turkey really knocks their dik in the dirt.

I've shot at strutting gobblers before and only hit feathers and they flew away. I wait for them to come out of strut now to better judge the body location.

Those 3-D turkeys can be tricky to hit too. 

I don't know Danes.  I've been throwing around the idea for a couple years now.  I guess to this point, I'm not convinced I'd rather hunt turks than fish.  I got a few blinds and know where plenty of birds are, just haven't found that desire to do it and do it alot.  I know it'd be fun, but just need a swift kick in the****and I'll try.  Next year, I'll probably say the same thing.   One day maybe..

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone turkey hunt with a bow? 2008/04/15 01:43:42 (permalink)
    I felt the same way.  Plus, I never knew what I'd do with a turkey once I got it.  My wife has a book and she wants to try recipes in it and at least one requires a turkey, so I figured this year I'd give it a try.  Plus, I have to drive somewhere to fish, but I can walk out my door and be hunting in five minutes and in these days of $3.30 per gallon gas, that enters into it as well.

Additonally, I've seen A LOT more birds this year than in years past.  I dont know if a flock has taken up residence near my house, but I see birds virtually every day.  Sometimes, I'm convinced that I could sit on my porch and get one if I wanted to.  Anyone know where I can get clothes with a grey vinal siding pattern?
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Anyone turkey hunt with a bow? 2008/04/16 11:27:46 (permalink)
    I hunted turkeys with my bow in the fall season. I didn't kill a turkey, but I did shoot at one after I called it in to about 30yds. My arrow hit the tip of a twig, and angled up into the tree tops. I dont know if the turkey or the arrow flew further, but they both went in the same direction. I've killed around a dozen deer with my bow, and have never missed, but I missed that turkey by a mile.

I was told my the local proshop that the rocket steelheads I use on deer, would work equally as well for turkeys.

One thing that makes turkey hunting tougher than deer hunting, is that turkeys are nearly constantly moving. I've killed a few gobblers that were practically running to me during gobbler season. I would not have killed them with a bow. It just happened too fast.

I'll be taking a shotgun on the opening day.
    racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Anyone turkey hunt with a bow? 2008/04/16 22:07:38 (permalink)
    Got this one year back in the fall.A windy treestand day for deer,did a little soft mouth yelping had 3 toms come in together,got him at 26 yards through the wing butts..He went straight up and hit the ground never moved..I have tried spring but could never close the deal with my bow..Ray

post edited by racinray - 2008/04/16 22:22:50

la Fish Hog
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Anyone turkey hunt with a bow? 2008/04/16 23:53:17 (permalink)
    DanesDad cook it just like any other turkey, they are REALLY good.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    wmjimmy08
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Anyone turkey hunt with a bow? 2008/04/17 12:30:13 (permalink)
    Only way to hunt them, sometimes it's easy, sometimes very frustrating, but get yourself a double-bull blind and start hunting, you will be amazed at how close you can get them to come in. I shot one a few years back that was literally 3 feet from the blind, but most of my shots have been under 10 yards. My wife shot her first one at about 5 yards 2 years ago, that is also the year 7 of us got 8 turkeys (extra tags) all with the bow, buddy killed his with a recurve. It's a blast- try it.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone turkey hunt with a bow? 2008/04/20 01:51:51 (permalink)
    Lemme see if I can gun one first.  That said, any excuse to shoot the bow is OK with me.
    Jump to: