Consumption Advisory

Author
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/11 08:29:08 (permalink)

Consumption Advisory

Do any of you guy that consume more meals than than advised,worry about eating polluted fish w/cancer causing chemicals in them? I see post where guys eat 250-400 eyes a year from Erie,and Shenego 2500(crappie) wonder if they have any concerns feeding them to ther family? I'm not a wise guy, just want to know.If store bought food had and adivsory,would you buy it and feed it to your childeren? I know almost everythings got something bad in it,but if you know it would you eat it?

15 Replies Related Threads

walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/11 09:13:20 (permalink)
    One good thing is that pymatuning lake is not on the consumption advisory list. I called the EPA and they said that they wish they had more lakes like pymatuning. The alkaline levels hold the chemicals at the bottom and the fish are save to eat. Thats why it is not on the advisory list. Good stuff to know
    bowmandjk
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/11 11:54:51 (permalink)
    i understand when they do the test for consumption advisory that the whole fish is ground up  and tested but if you skin and fillet your catch you are well within the guide lines i hope this is true

any day of fishing is a gift
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/11 11:55:20 (permalink)
    The advisories here are mostly for mercury.  Which will never affect me at this point in my life.  I am 34 and have had all my kids (I hope!) so I can eatas much as I want and will be fine.  Those advisories are set up to provide a safe maximum intake for a pregnant woman, to protect the fetus.

I do pay close attention to how many meals my kids eat and I keep them at the advisory level.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/11 13:07:20 (permalink)
    Been eating fish from shenango lake all my life. I'm 56 now. All my family and friends eat them, that i catch,and fillet too. Can't say i lost any to mercury poisoning and none that i can think of has died from cancers. Maybe we're just lucky. All 5 daughters are healthy and all 4 of the grandsons are too. Been cooking them fish since they were born and able to eat it. Still no problems. Every one is healthy. No birth defects, rashes, or anything growing from their necks.  Really, we dont eat fish 2 or 3 times a week tho. 2500 crappies in a season will go a long way, even feeding a family and group of church friends and club members. Hope i dont have people glowing in the dark from MERCURY poisoning.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/11 16:26:06 (permalink)
      Now you tell me  with a mouthfull of fresh fried crappie. My youngest son is goin for 2nd's now. One big crappie will fill a big fryin' pan to max. The veg. oil is prob. worser for u than a properly prepared fish is. When they do the tests it is with the whole fish grounded up. Ate lots of channel cats 15 -18" since the late 70's out of the Allegh. River. Dandylions are purdy ripe now too with a little leeks, vinager & lots ov bacon grease.

Yummy

Notin' rong wit me yet/?
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/11 17:16:00 (permalink)
    So what your all saying is that the skin,guts,belly meat has all the bad stuff,but the fillets are toxic free,I hope you take all that nice tasty red meat of your eyes .I kept 13 huge crappies from Shenango this winter and they had more red meat on them than any crappies I've ever cleaned,their still in the freezer,and I know I'll give them away.So basiclly the normones(or any other toxic that are injested) that shot in cattle,just stays in the fat,bone and hide,and the meats mormone free.If you believe your fish are toxic free their not thats impossible.If someone could tell me where they do this study I will,personally sent them,skinless eye fillets from Erie,and Crappies from the most polluted lake there is Shenago.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/11 17:48:29 (permalink)
      BT,

that's how they do it, whole fish. They should do studies on just the flesh, think they were gonna do it if not allready. Never ate a fish from Shenago but from Slippery Rock creek & that was a mess not long ago. I bled a few winter Pike this year & a few I didn't. Big dif. in taste & looks from the two from the same water & day.

Micky Dees brings a smile

A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/11 18:30:42 (permalink)
    Any study can be manipulated to show the results wanted.
    Whole fish in a blender for showing high contamination.
    Fillets for low contamination.

I would think the average of both ways would be about right.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/12 02:09:31 (permalink)
    Most of the mercury found in fish will be retained in the belly meat and fatty tissues of the fish...trimming off the belly will reduce your exposure.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/12 04:57:05 (permalink)
    "If store bought food had and adivsory,would you buy it and feed it to your childeren?"

Do some reading. Most store bought fish, and many other foods DO have similar advisories. Mt Dew, and Happy Meals are doing more damage to kids than all the Perch, Walleye, and Crappie consumed in America ever will.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    jimbo204
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/12 12:13:09 (permalink)
    i'm pretty sure the advisory for shenango was from the dam south...the river only.  could be wrong, but this is what i saw last year.  jim
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/12 20:02:49 (permalink)
    you guys are wroung i been eating fish for 40 years .yes there places i won't eat fish .i eat all the egges of fish but catfish there bad . all pan fish egges are good . if you like sea food i can make egges to your taste yummy. send me e mail i tell you how to cook them egges there good
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/12 20:10:24 (permalink)
    "you guys are wroung i been eating fish for 40 years .yes there places i won't eat fish .i eat all the egges of fish but catfish there bad . all pan fish egges are good . if you like sea food i can make egges to your taste yummy. send me e mail i tell you how to cook them egges there good"

I was wrong. Just say NO to fish.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/12 21:08:51 (permalink)
    Ive been eating pounds of walleye and crappie for yrs, and i have no problems.  I think it depends where u get them id rather eat fish then steak.    If u buy frozen fish u need to look at where the fish was taken.  China or over seas ill never eat.  If caught in alaska  or canada  ill eat it.

TBS
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Consumption Advisory 2008/04/13 01:36:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Any study can be manipulated to show the results wanted.
    Whole fish in a blender for showing high contamination.
    Fillets for low contamination.

I would think the average of both ways would be about right.

PGHMARTY...you hit the nail onthe head.

"Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." - Ed Zern
    Jump to: