Bearing Buddies

Author
Treble Hook
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/23 20:06:38 (permalink)

Bearing Buddies

Has anyone ever changed the seals on their trailer's "Bearing Buddies"?  Had the trailer 3 yrs and have just kept them filled up with grease. This spring I seen some seeping out around the seal. Don't know how hard they are to change or if I want get into it.
   Thanks
   Treble Hook

7 Replies Related Threads

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Bearing Buddies 2007/04/23 20:16:54 (permalink)
    I'm not an expert on that particular subject but I've had the same bearing buddies on my trailer for ten years now without any problem. They seemed to always leak on the inside and I assumed that was normal. I just pumped it full of grease until the old warn out looking grease came out then I took a rag and wiped out all the excess old stuff and I was good for another 1000 miles at which time I goosed it again and cleaned out all the old stuff. Inside edges are very sharp be very carefull when wiping.

I've at times trailered to the South Carolina coast and had it in salt water without problems. However I may have just been lucky so try and get someone elses opinion.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Bearing Buddies 2007/04/23 21:14:56 (permalink)
    I used to remove mine every couple of years and re-pack the grease and change the seals on my old boat.  Since I got a newer boat, and other family priorities come ahead now...I just take it to my mechanic to get inspected and serviced. 

I do know that its about a half a day job.  just tap out the outer bearing buddy with a rubber mallot, remove  the cotter pin and large nut that holds the bearing in place.  Some even have a ring that holds the bearing itself in place, take out the bearing and remove all the old grease.  The seal is in the rear and should be replaced every couple of years because the rubber around it dry rots and tends to leak.  After putting in the new seal, replace the bearing, ring and outer bearing buddy and re-pack with new grease.  After you make one trip, you should add a few more pumps into the bearing buddy and you should be good to go for awhile.  Its really not too bad , but just make sue you have all the parts you need before doing the job.  I would replace the bearings, seals and grease in your case.  Good Luck.  If you need anymore help, just shoot me a PM.  Take care.

Yeah, as 2Dog mentioned below...when re-filling the hub with grease, just pump enough in until the little plate around the fitting moves out almost all the way.  Do not overfill or it will blow out your seal.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/24 07:48:14

2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Bearing Buddies 2007/04/23 22:00:52 (permalink)
    If you put too much grease in, it will push the seal out of the hub on the backside. That's happened to me. Watch the plate where the grease fitting is and fill it until the plate is almost out to the full extent. The bearing buddy acts like a reservoir pushing grease into the bearing. Agree with ShutUpNFish about cleaning the hubs out every couple years.
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Bearing Buddies 2007/04/24 09:25:34 (permalink)
    http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17452

This link helped me to repack mine last year.  Many folks say you should do it every year, easy if you have a garage and can do it in the "off season".  If your trailer is only three years old you can probably just keep them filled or repack them if you want to be safe.  When you take them off and clean the bearings with gasoline you can see if they have any pits in them, if so you want to replace them.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Bearing Buddies 2007/04/24 10:26:21 (permalink)
    excellent link there by H2O wolf....except the cap would be replaced by the bearing buddy itself.

Treble Hook
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Bearing Buddies 2007/04/24 17:06:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the good info guys. Think I'll stay on the safe side and check them out the next rainey weekend.  Better safe than sorry.
        Thanks Again
         Treble Hook 
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Bearing Buddies 2007/04/24 20:04:41 (permalink)
    If you just have a little grease leaking then you probably need only seals. These are very easy to change and only a couple dollars.
       You can inspect your bearings when you have them out. Seals only will take a couple hours at worst. But as was mentioned before be very careful cleaning with your fingers as the edges on the races and bearing buddies are razor sharp..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Jump to: