pflueger spinning combo

Author
shawnh89
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/04 00:17:42 (permalink)

pflueger spinning combo

i recently just bought a 7' medium action pflueger spinning rod combo.  when i got home i noticed it didn't have the ceramic eyes.  So I was wondering if i put any kind of braided line on it would it screw up the eyes on my rod.

14 Replies Related Threads

venomous grin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/04 04:31:34 (permalink)
    IMHO take it back, exchange it if anyything

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your****tomorrow.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/04 11:59:50 (permalink)
    If you are using it to pull large fish out of cover with 30 lb PowerPro than I'd say you may have a problem. But just regular use on bass or walleye I'd say it will work just fine.

I would go with PowerPro..It's probably the smoothest of all superbraids. JMO

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/04 15:25:34 (permalink)
    Without ceramic guides, braids or superbraids will wear grooves with even light pressure.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/04 15:35:33 (permalink)
    I'll have to disagree with you on this one, Spoon..

Only round braids like Spiderwire will wear grooves. I found this out when I was in Florida.
    One day I was get my arss handed to me by these HUGE snook. The rod I was using just didn't have enough power to get them out of the docks.

I grabed a differant rod from my boat (one withOUT ceramic guides) and was horsing them out one after another.
    I continued to use this rod for fishing docks and mangroves and NEVER had a problem with the guides. I was even using 30 lb Power Pro. Power Pro is a flater braid, and I'm sure this is the reason it doesn't do any damage.
    post edited by mikeg - 2008/04/04 15:51:39

shawnh89
    New Angler
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/04 15:38:50 (permalink)
    hey thanks for all the help.  i think im gonna try the power pro in 10lb.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/04 15:47:52 (permalink)
    Good luck and make sure you follow the directions here..

http://powerpro.com/using/index.asp

PP is a differant animal and will take some getting use to. But once you do, you'll never fish with anything else!

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/04 16:01:49 (permalink)
    Learn to tie the knots that they recommend!
    The line is slippery and knots used on mono might not hold.

venomous grin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/05 23:54:47 (permalink)
    LMAO...if it was me and it was new it would be returned...no matter...enjoy
    post edited by venomous grin - 2008/04/05 23:56:41

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your****tomorrow.
    shawnh89
    New Angler
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/06 08:01:59 (permalink)
    well i have a 1 year warranty on my combo so if it does cut into the eyes i'll just know i cant do that again.
    bad_angler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/10 17:13:02 (permalink)
    Would anyone care to speak about the quality of Pflueger rods & reels (or combos)? This weekend Shakespeare is having their annual yard sale in South Carolina. I scanned the ad and remember it mentioned Shakespeare and Pflueger. Hopefully Abu Garcia products will be sold too. I believe Jardin owns them all now. Every year Shakespeare has a yard sale with 30-80 % off pricing and every year I hear how my buddies made out like bandits with some great deals. This year I'm going for sure and looking for a decent baitcasting reel..maybe a combo.

Thanks for any advice, ba

bad_angler - South Carolina's Worst Angler

See bad_angler's page at MyFish.com
    PixburghScottie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/14 09:25:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bad_angler

Would anyone care to speak about the quality of Pflueger rods & reels (or combos)?

I bought an ultra light combo a few years back at the last minute for Trout season and loved the reel. Probably the most smooth, trouble free open face reel I ever used.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/14 10:34:21 (permalink)
    I know the guides that you speak of (Berkley SS304).  They are a stainless frame with an aluminum insert.  Some people have problems with them and some don't.  When line gets dirty, braided line especially, it picks up very tiny particles.  These particles act as an abrasive, almost like a rope saw, but on a very small scale.  I have done some repairs on rods that have had these guides grooved.  Mostly it is the tip, but some others have had grooves too.  When doing these repairs, I always install a ceramic tip.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/14 11:26:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikeg

I'll have to disagree with you on this one, Spoon..

Only round braids like Spiderwire will wear grooves. I found this out when I was in Florida.
    One day I was get my arss handed to me by these HUGE snook. The rod I was using just didn't have enough power to get them out of the docks.

I grabed a differant rod from my boat (one withOUT ceramic guides) and was horsing them out one after another.
    I continued to use this rod for fishing docks and mangroves and NEVER had a problem with the guides. I was even using 30 lb Power Pro. Power Pro is a flater braid, and I'm sure this is the reason it doesn't do any damage.

Ill have to disagree with you here mike G.  To the best of my knowledge power-pro is round...In fact it is marketed as being a round braid.

Simply put, PowerPro is the ultimate combination of modern technology and old-fashioned fishing knowledge.

From their website: www.PowerPro.com
    We begin with ultra-strong braided Spectra® Fiber, then use Enhanced Body Technology™ to create an incredibly round, smooth, and sensitive line.

Fire Line, Rip-Cord SI, ect are all flatter super lines and may be prone to wearing on guides.  While you are right about power pro not beating up your rods, The reason it doesnt cut into guides is because it is round and has no real edge that can wear into a guide.

I personally have been using 10lb Power Pro on my spinning and jigging rods for years with NO problems.

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Jgut07
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: pflueger spinning combo 2008/04/14 20:17:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bad_angler

Would anyone care to speak about the quality of Pflueger rods & reels (or combos)? This weekend Shakespeare is having their annual yard sale in South Carolina. I scanned the ad and remember it mentioned Shakespeare and Pflueger. Hopefully Abu Garcia products will be sold too. I believe Jardin owns them all now. Every year Shakespeare has a yard sale with 30-80 % off pricing and every year I hear how my buddies made out like bandits with some great deals. This year I'm going for sure and looking for a decent baitcasting reel..maybe a combo.

Thanks for any advice, ba

BA:

I have a pflueger bait caster with an all-star rod. I like it a alot, I have never had any problems with it.  The only thing about it is that its pretty hard to cast a light lure, as it is with any baitcaster. I also have a pfueger ultra-light that I love. Its really great, never had any problems with it. And, I recently just bought a reel for my noodle rod, and this summer I will be using it for bass. Its the new model pflueger, Alzaro reel. It held up great in the cold weather and has a smooth drag. I think they are pretty good quality reels, I also like the all-star rods that come with some of the combos.
    Jump to: