Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
luvinbluegills
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/02 11:48:25 (permalink)

Opinion on Cabela's WV

I'm sure this has come up already but I couldn't find it in a search, besides, I like new info! :)

What's the skinny on the Cabela's in WV? Is it worth the trip from Pittsburgh? I love aquariums so judging by the commercial I'd probably make the trip just for that, but I still gotta have good prices and selection to be happy with driving that far just to go to the store.

Faith is only as good as its object
Adventures with Fish

45 Replies Related Threads

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 12:00:21 (permalink)
    If you love aquariums it's worth the trip.  But If you live in Pgh, Sportsman's warehouse has everything Cabela's does, minus the aquarium.  Also knowledgable staff. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 12:06:47 (permalink)
    It is definately worth the trip in my opinion, you can make it in less than an hour from the burgh, barring major traffic or construction.

The walk through aquarium is pretty impressive, lots of different species, and some big uns of each.  There is also a trout pond in the middle of the store. 

If your into deer hunting, you will love the room full of mounts.  I dont know exactly how many mounts are in the room but I would say at least 50 if not more.  Some of the highest scoring bucks ever taken are included in the mounts. 

Oh yeah, the store is pretty good too.  The place is huge, pretty much everything you have ever seen in any of their catalogs is somewhere on the shelves.  Plus they have a huge bargain cave room, sometimes you can find some good deals there.
    snookyII
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 12:07:19 (permalink)
    Sportsman's Warehouse pricing is much better than Cabela's. The Cabela's store is very nice for the experience.
    post edited by snookyII - 2008/04/02 12:16:36
    pole_doc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 12:29:14 (permalink)
    Selection is terrific.  Prices are average.  It's a cool experience because there is just so much going on there.  For routine stuff, I like Sportsman's Warehouse, but, since gas is cheap it's a fun trip once or twice a year to Cabella's.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 12:36:27 (permalink)
    I have to disagree with Essox here. On any of my trips there, the selection was limited, IMO ( more than the average tackle shop, but weak considering the nature of the store ). Also, there is a TON of stuff listed in the catalog that you will not find on the shelves, or even in stock. Many catalog items ship directly from the manufacturer, with a cabelas label & invoice. You MAY find the occassional "bargain" in the cave, but more often than not it's just returns, blemished items, or remanufactured items, at a very SLIGHT discount from the same item of the shelf.

That said, it IS worth at least a one time trip ( for most guys ). Just don't expect it to be, all that you expect it to be.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    CatfishSlayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 12:42:15 (permalink)
    I think spoonchucker said it best.  90% of the time I go there, they dont have what I'm looking for.  There clothing selection is also very weak IMO.  I usually walk out empty handed, besides the razberry fudge or wild boar sandwich I buy.
    I think they need MUCH improvement.

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 12:45:16 (permalink)
    Another vote for Cabela's for the experience and Sportsman's Warehouse for selection & prices.  If you just HAVE to buy something at Cabela's, get one of the logo hats.  Cheap & comfy. 
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 12:59:05 (permalink)
    I don't know, I stopped in while passing thru a few weeks ago.  It was nice but I didn't intend on purchasing anything.  Aquariums and displays were nice I thought.

There's not many places you can go and expect them to get everything they have on a website or in a catalog, especially with the high inventory cabelas carry.  If you MUST know, before heading out call them, or order from the cat or internet.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 13:01:06 (permalink)
    Spoon-  I was just curious why you along with everyone else here refers to my name as ESSOX...

Everytime I went down there they had what I was after.  I like to make my larger purcahases in the store(if im going to be dealing with Cabelas).  I have purchased a couple fly rods there, waders, aqua-view, and various other items I had my eye on when I saw them in the catalog.  Everytime....they had it.  I guess my basis on saying they have everything in the catalog is a bit limited on my personal experiences.  That is true about the baragain bin, most of it is junk, and the decent stuff is rarely marked down enough to justify buying something with some sort of defect.  I did find a pair of boots there once and saved $30 on a $100 pair of boots with nothing wrong with them, except they had no packaging.

The aquariums and mounts are worth the trip.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 13:11:50 (permalink)
    2nd Spoon's opinion completely.  Great catalog.  Store worth a one time trip?  Maybe.  After that no.  A lot of fishing stuff but not more than you could find at other area stores.  Lots of stuff you'll never see in stores that is in the catalog.  Lot of basic items i've found to not be there as well.  The difference between Bass Pro Stores and Cabelas Stores is that you walk into Bass Pro and you wont leave without buying something.  Cabelas I have walked out many times with nothing in hand.  Just my experience.  I stick with their catalog.  Prices also are not good at all for the most part.  I am mostly a fisherman so that is my focus point.  Hunting section looks very expansive but I never buy more then shells.  Apparel wise there is a ton but again the pricing for their products is imo not a good deal compared to other similar products.  If you want to see fish and big deer mounts go for it.  Id rather see them devote that space to more product. 
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 14:04:09 (permalink)
    I also agree with Spoon.

It's worth a trip to check it out and satisfy your curiosity, if nothing else.

Never, ever buy waders from the Bargain cave.  Those waders in the cave are returns.  I know, because I returned a pair, an hour or so later I was in the cave, low and behold, there were my waders on the rack.  Patch and all.
    post edited by D-nymph - 2008/04/02 14:07:26
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 14:05:32 (permalink)
    "Spoon-  I was just curious why you along with everyone else here refers to my name as ESSOX..."

Because I'm old, and don't see so well at times "sorry". Try not to take things on these boards personally. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 14:21:40 (permalink)
    Spoon-- I didn't mean for it to sound like an attack, I was simply curious, it seems recently everyone likes to spell it Essox for some reason.  I guess I am reading into things too deeply...lol.  I apologize if I offended you in any way, trust me I don't take ANYTHING personally here.  If I did I would have left long ago...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 14:28:50 (permalink)
    I took no offense, just wanted to assure you that I offered none.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    GreeneGuy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 14:45:11 (permalink)
    I went to school at west liberty in the panhandle and it was only a 10 minute drive for me, and I killed alot of evenings in there.  It's a good time, worth the trip from Pittsburgh for sure.  The mounts are cool as well as the aquarium and the gun library.  I think the prices are average to high, but I can't imagine the cost of running that place.  Selection-wise, I feel is between good and very good.  Not too big in the fly department or trapping department.  Lots of boots, guns, ammo, archery equipment, optics, spin rods and reels, and every soft plastic imaginable(at least for me.) Clothing, camping, reloading, and muzzleloaders are about average.  Overall pretty good store. 
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 15:27:45 (permalink)
    Well, since I'm only 15 minutes from Sportsman's Warehouse, I think I'll save the trip to Cabela's for when a certain lady friend of mine who has been dying to check them out can go. After visiting the Bass Pro during a trip to Chicago, it sounds like she might be disappointed.

Between the aquariums and Catfishslayers reminder of the variety of foods though, I will eventually be making the trip to Cabela's. I'm not as adventurous as Andrew Zimmern, but I love to try new foods!

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    TTFO
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 16:08:35 (permalink)
    It is worth the trip from the burg.  I've been down there twice from Erie. If you have kids they LOVE the place.  My son asks to go down all the time!!  I also agree w/spoonchucker as far as selection and pricing.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 16:10:27 (permalink)
    Esox....I've always called you "ESOX"  As for Esox masquinongy, I assume.  I just happen to kinda like 'em.

If you're a sportsman and have not been down to Cabela's yet, you got to go at least once to make a judgement for yourself.  I myself was impressed by the displays and thats about it.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/04/02 16:12:31

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 16:18:37 (permalink)
    If you want hunting clothing its awesome.....If you want a particular rifle in a particular caliber...Its awesome....

Personally I kinda find most of Cabelas stuff to be a little overpriced..Although u can get some good deals on camo in the off season.

Sportsmans Warehouse is pretty great too and very local to Pittsburgh, but I had a hard time finding a .270 Rifle there when I bought my last gun...For fishing equipment they have the stuff, but id just assume buy my stuff off the local bait stores for the same price.

Cabelas is an adventure.  We deer hunt in WV and its on the way down so i always find myself stopping in there on the way to pick up the last min must have items or impulse items.  Usually stop once on the way down and once on the way back...lol Its a huge store and is pretty cool, but you get burnt out on it real quick unless you are shopping for something nice...its alot nicer to pick something up and hold it than to order it from a catalog or computer and hope it is what you want...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 16:32:31 (permalink)
    I live a half hour north of Pittsburgh.  I would sooner drive to Dundee, Michigan than to the Wheeling store, imo.  No comparison.
    As far as chain stores, Sportsmens Wharehouse is pretty good.

Ironhed
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 16:49:07 (permalink)
    I stopped there once. It's worth a visit, but not to buy anything. Prices
    are high, service sucks. Stick with Fishusa, PR.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 20:11:13 (permalink)
    Sportsmans is good for the run of the mill stuff, but thier prices aren't always better than cabelas.

Cabelas is one hell of  a store, worth it for the aquarium and food alone.
    redcanoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 20:21:42 (permalink)
    Dundee beats WV.  WV is a junque shop.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 20:44:13 (permalink)
    Worth the trip.Way better than any Bass Pro shop I've been in.The aquarium & the deer mount room is worth it.You might pay a little more for a Cabela's brand,but they do stand behind it.Returned broken rods and leaky waders with no problum or cost.I only go now if i have a problum with something,have everything i want.Sportsman warehouse has had anything I needed,and if they don't Vince will get it.
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 22:25:58 (permalink)
    I don't think anyone mentioned that the Wv Cabela's has a distrubution center there (not visible from the retail store).  I believe that they do a lot of shipping from there for catalog and internet orders.  Often times if I am looking for something specific I will call first and they can let you know if they have it in the store or at the dist. center.  You just purchase then drive over and pick it up. 

Selection is decent
    Service is so so
    Price depends on what your buying.
    Definately worth a trip for the aquarium, a bison burger, and some coldstone ice cream!
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/02 22:32:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mxdad66

Worth the trip.Way better than any Bass Pro shop I've been in.The aquarium & the deer mount room is worth it.You might pay a little more for a Cabela's brand,but they do stand behind it.Returned broken rods and leaky waders with no problum or cost.I only go now if i have a problum with something,have everything i want.Sportsman warehouse has had anything I needed,and if they don't Vince will get it.

Just to show what different opinions we as sportsman have about stores devoted to us...in contrast to this last post I have been to one of Bass Pro's smallest stores in Savannah, GA and it was better than ANY Cabelas Store I have been to.  But I think that just has to do with what Im intending to buy.  More impulse buys, more great deals and sales, and an @$$load more hard to find fishing equipment than Cabelas stores and overall better prices on comparable or same items.  With Bass Pro coming in sometime to the Washington, PA area soon the WV Cabelas better improve in all aspects.  Gander Mountain outdoes them for most of my fishing needs.  The Cabelas catalog is worth the shipping, its about as much as gas to get to the store nowadays and has much better selection.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/03 00:32:51 (permalink)
    I have brainwashed my wife so bad that when she was in michigan with her mother and sister in law (none of the three hunt or fish) they stopped to tour cabelas in dundee.  We stop at all of the ones that we pass in our travels, I guess I have been in 5 or 6 different cabelas and about 5 different bass pro shops (the one in St Louis is a DON'T MISS).  Some are better than others  Wheeling is a pretty decent one.

I agree 100% with spoon though.  I have been there several times and they have not had the stuff I needed.  I noticed however that now one of thier shipping options on thier website is "in store pickup" so you can order and then stop in when it gets there, no shipping charges.  I am curious as to how that works on the drop ship items, but it sounds cool.   Don't miss a opportunity to check it out though.  Get the Prime Rib sandwich!!!!!!!!!!!

I price compare a lot and I find that some things are cheaper at Sportsmans and some at cabelas and it usually evens out in the end.  Sportsmans warehouse definitly has a more knowledgeable staff, but the also employ a lot fewer people, so they are looking more for quality than quantity.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/03 11:00:16 (permalink)
    Alot of things are cheaper at sportsmans warehouse....But the store doesnt have an aquarium, or a log cabin feel, and it has probaly 3 times the employees

Cabelas is just huge with alot of things under one roof...that is the drawing card...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: Opinion on Cabela's WV 2008/04/03 12:56:58 (permalink)
    I never been to sportsmans warehouse...but keep hearing about it. maybe i will break down and check it out sometime. I know that when I head out to Wheeling Cabelas, I am primarily going out there to see something in person. Its always good to have the item # of something you want to buy or see incase it is not on display. I mean, the distribution warehouse is right across the street... you can ask to have something pulled out for your arrival or purchase from the store and drive (or walk if you feel ambitious) to pick it up or check it out. ...just my 2cents...
    TH
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: