Author
Fisherboy86
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 130
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/02 08:23:46 (permalink)

The Perfect Steelhead Rod

Guys,

What would you say is the best steelhead fly rod for Erie Tribs? Not just PA, but Ohio and NY as well. Single Hand and Double Hand. Action? And the price you would be willing to spend for an "Erie" rod. I want to get a feel for what guys are fishing with or are looking for in an Erie steelhead rod.

I love to fish my 10' 4wt, but it feels more like a moderate fast 5, or moderate 6. I can bank most steelhead with it in 2 minutes or less with 4x tippet. It has the strong butt and smooth flexing top half to protect every headshake or surge of the fish. In my opinion...the perfect action for Erie Steel.

For a double hander, I've been using a 12' 7wt with a moderate fast action. Probably the longest fly rod I will need for Erie tribs, but great for swinging flies through wide runs and tails, as well as high stick nymphing. It does not handle light tippets too well, but rarely do I use anything less than 3x with this rod. It is usually my Chromer rod to swing for active fish.

I think I paid $150 for the 10' 4wt and around $600 for the 12' 7wt. I use both rods for other species such as trout, bass, and salmon.

Mike

16 Replies Related Threads

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/02 10:16:23 (permalink)
    That is a tough question to answer.  I have landed steelies with my 7 1/2' 4 wt to my 11' 8 wt spey rod.  Most of the time I use a 10' 7 wt or 9' 6 wt. 

That is the simple answer.  To muddy the waters some, you need to look at the action you prefer, length you like for the type of fishing you do and the power you need for the type of water you are fishing.  I am not expert on fly rods but the few things I have learned over the years fishing the Erie tribs are the following:

1) There is little "big" water to fish.  You really don't need the big rods that you might when fishing the larger rivers in OH and NY.  A good 9' or 10' rod will generally be sufficient.

2) You don't need to use super fine tippet material.  I know some will jump all over me about this, but honestly unless it is ultra clear and ultra low and you are trying to hook a super spookie fish, the you can get away with 4# test mono for your tippet material and can even go to 8# test in heavier water.  What this means is you can use a bit faster rod if you like and don't need to worry as much about breaking off fish.

3) Most of your casts will be short, with many roll casts.  What this means is you don't need a rod designed for long casting situations.  The spey or switch rods are great, but not necessary here.  They are nice rods to have and have the advantage of extra length.

4) What style of fishing do you do; high sticking nymphing, indicator fishing, the local version of chuck and duck (I know it is the incorrect use of the term, but it describes the use of a fair amount of weight to drift deep pools), swinging streamers, etc...  The rod choice should reflect your style of fishing.  I personally like to use my version of the Ceczh nymphing style of fishing and wet fly swing.

5) Do you fish high water, deeper pools and riffles or are you looking to hit the skinny water of the upper sections of the streams?  There is a world of difference fighting a steelie in a few inches of water that hooking into one in a fast, deep current.  The power of the rod comes into play here.

6) Cost may be a consideration.  To find the rod you think has all the qualities you are looking for, you may want to spend the equivalent of the GNP of a small third world country.  Of course, the quality of the rod and warranty are important considerations as well.

7) Lastly, there is the feel.  I don't know how to describe it, but some rods just feel right.  I have an inexpensive Diamondback I bought several years ago that is one of my absolute favorite rods.  I cannot say why I really like the rod, except I like the way it feels.

I guess as you have gathered, the perfect steelhead rod is the rod that fits you and your fishing needs.  Good luck finding it.

pax vobiscum +
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/02 11:11:02 (permalink)
    For a fly rod, the 11'9" Talon that I have.  It lists as a 7 wt, but fishes more like a 6 if you are overhead casting.  I fish it with a 7 wt long belly or a 6/7 short spey line.  Mine is built as a switch rod.  I haven't fished it for steel, but I've fished it enough for trout and I've fished steel enough to know that it is the perfect rod.  It has the reach for big water like the Salmon River or Grand, but would do just fine on most of the smaller stuff.  I wouldn't take it to Racoon Creek because of the trees, but pretty much anything else would be fine.  It will fish down to 3 lb test easily but has more than enough power for 8-10 lb tippet and heavier water.

Thanks,
    Rick
    MightyMidge
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/02 13:13:13 (permalink)
    For me it is the Sage 11' 7wt Z Axis. I can protect light line easy, but really lean into the butt to beat fish quick. I started fishing this rod in fall of '06, and haven't let go of it since. I did just get a 11' 7 Wt Winston BIIx, but I haven't had the chance to fish it yet...
    tight lines, Steve B
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/02 14:11:29 (permalink)
    Sage 11' 7wt Z-Axis as an all around rod- hard to beat. Typical of the new "switch" rods, it has a modified spey grip. Ideal roll casting and mendin machine for nymphing and indy-fishing, and just enough butt and length for some semi-serious spey work, though, like most switch rods, it cannot turn a full sink-tip or throw a brass tube or anything similar. If relegated to just one rod for Erie tribs, this would be my choice. Used to have the same rod configuration in the Winston BIIx which was super light, but a little too soft for my tastes.

For a spey rod (think OH or NY) you can't go wrong with a 12-13' 6 or 7wt rod. I really like the new TFO Deer Creek rods- the 12 1/2' 6wt is perfect for the Catt, maybe a bit light for the Grand, but a good choice overall- and, at $350, can't even be touched by anything else on the market.

$.02

Tight lines,
    Dan
    GreeneGuy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/02 14:53:16 (permalink)
    I only have one fly rod, and its a 6wt 9'6' St Croix something or other.  I use it for steel, works great.  I also use it for stockies, works good for them too, maybe a little stiff.  I rarely have any good luck with steel, but the draw of a 20-30 inch trout keeps me coming back. 
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/02 20:46:02 (permalink)
    Any rod that will accept my centerpin reel !
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/03 08:12:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input so far guys.

It seems that a 10' or 11' 7wt is the preferred rod so far...but then again, not many people have chimed in.

Has anyone noticed a bigger following of double handed rods on Erie tribs? I can count on one hand in the past two years how many guys I've seen. But that is only about 40 days of fishing.

Mike
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/03 08:40:20 (permalink)
    Mike-

A double handed rod has very limited value in PA, due to the small size of the streams. But in OH and NY tribs (like the Grand, or the Catt) they are ideal. The last 2 or 3 years I've seen a huge upswing in guys using spey rods, particularly in OH and on the Catt... But again, the hybrid, or "switch" rods like the 11' 7wt are about as perfect an all-around rod (PA, OH, NY, MI) that you're going to find.

If you are looking for an 11' 7wt, I'll be happy to hook you up- PM me...

Dan
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/03 09:50:12 (permalink)
    I would definitely agree with Dan about the two handed rod.  I have an 11' spey rod.  It is short for a spey rod, but it definitely has the power to put some line out there, yet most of the time I never get to use its full potential and in the upper sections of the creek it can be a bit cumbersome.  In those areas I prefer my 9' Diamondback or 10' Scott.

I have looked at the Sage 11' 7wt Z-Axis and thought it would the be a great rod, but I already have a Scott A2 10' 7wt and just cannot at this time justify getting the Sage.  Although, if I get my $600 back from the Govt, I might be tempted to take one home.  I am sure it would match up well with my Lamson Lightspeed....  Of course, I would get the 8 wt Sage.  That way I would not have two 7 wt rods....  Now that is an idea.

Us boys and our toys....  Of course, I guess it is better to be spending our money on a great fishing rod, than wasting it on something else....  A man can never have too many fishing rods, reels, bows, guns or knives...

pax vobiscum +
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/03 10:26:52 (permalink)
    Dave-

POst-rebate check, if you'f like a Sage, please let me know and I will certinaly accomodate you! How have you been? Been out much this spring? I'll call you one of these days- might get up there shortly!

Dan
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/03 10:36:55 (permalink)
    Dan,

I have been fine, keeping busy as usual and trying to do a little fishing here and there.  Let me know if you will be up and if I am available, we can do a little fishing.  There still are a few steelies around.  The suckers seem to be coming up now...  They can be fun too.

As for the Sage, I would love one, but right now, I just don't think I can really justify getting it.  Besides, I most likely will end up breaking it like I did with my Scott....  I snapped the tip off clean.... No real story, it got stuck in a bush.  Oh well, it should be back in a month or so... In the meantime, I will be fishing the Diamondback... or maybe get crazy and breakout the 4 wt...  Haven't done that for awhile.

pax vobiscum +
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/04 11:01:38 (permalink)
    It sounds to me that you are happy with the ones you use, so those are the best rods. 2 handers have zero use in PA. The ones using them are very confused, especially the ones that put bobbers on them. Now switch rods is a different story. You can get away with putting an indicator on a switch as well as putting sink tips and having the fish come to the fly rather than having the fly come to the fish. The perfect steelhead rod really doesnt exist. But a switch is the closest thing to it. Get abunch of rods and let the location flow and style you plan to fish dictate the rod you use. For OH high flows a fast action 9'6" 8wt, chuck and duck is the ticket. No its not flyfishing but its better then using stupid eggs. For swinging 13' 7/8 is nice. For action it all depends on your style. For mod/low flows. The same 13' as well as a 10'8" 8wt  or 11' 6wt switch rod for swinging. No nead for chuck and duck. For indicator fishing the same switch rods or 10' 7wt. For ditch fishing which about equels PA creeks a 9'6" 7wt will do just fine. For bigger flows on Elk the switch rods works the best. But not many fish the higher flows because they cant see the fish. For NY pretty much the same as OH. To sum it up match the rod to the area and conditions. Any rod can be used but sometimes it just isnt enough or is way to much. To maximize your fishing enjoyment have a wide range to choose from. If I could only have 1. For my style it would be a 8wt switch.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/04 13:47:30 (permalink)
    Personally I prefer an 8'6" three weight bamboo with 2# tippett.   I never catch anything with it but I just love the looks and questions I get.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/04 15:06:51 (permalink)
    Well for small streams like the east... anything from 5-8wt in the 9' range.

Larger tribs(not wall of nuts) a Spey.

While I understand that people care about not killing fish I dont understand this mentality of landing a fish as fast as possible. Enjoy it a little bit. You miles well fish for crappies if you cant enjoy the fight a little bit.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/04 18:48:39 (permalink)
    anadromous  Where did Nagy's builder come up with Ice Resistant Guides do you know the manufacturer???

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: The Perfect Steelhead Rod 2008/04/04 20:57:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skip16503

anadromous  Where did Nagy's builder come up with Ice Resistant Guides do you know the manufacturer???

There is no such thing as ice resistant guides. The guides are oversized to help prevent quick build up.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Jump to: