Child's PFD

Author
TTFO
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/01 19:13:07 (permalink)

Child's PFD

Any recommendations for a child's PFD.  My son is 47 lbs, 5 years old and is currently taking swim lesson's however he is not able to swim yet. ( I told him he has to get his face wet before he'll be able to swim.... he's having non of that!!!!) 

I'd like to get something comfortable.  Class I o II.  I can't seem to find any in the Erie Area that fits the bill.  Where have you purchased your PFD's??

Any help is appreciated.

5 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Child's PFD 2008/04/01 19:21:34 (permalink)
    Yeah, both of my boys have the ones from Wal-Mart with the loop on the back and loops down around the croch area.  I also got a neoprene one last year that seems much more comfortable for them.  Check out e-bay as well....I saw some nice deals on there the other day...I'm about due for some upgrades myself...My boys at 3 and 4 go through about 6 gallons of milk per week and are growing like weeds!!!  I have a feeling that in a couple years, I'll have PFDs out the wazoo!

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Child's PFD 2008/04/01 19:23:44 (permalink)
    Marty,  I am not sure that they make one with the float behind the head for children of that size.  Those are generally reserved for very small children.  One note TTFO, make sure that the vest has a "****" strap and use it to keep the child from falling through a vest that may have loosened up.

I stand corrected, after looking at your link.  The only thing I would be concerned about is that the weight limit is 50 lbs. and your child is near that range and not likely to get smaller.
    post edited by griffon - 2008/04/01 19:27:03
    TTFO
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Child's PFD 2008/04/01 19:25:56 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  I havn't checked Walmart.  I try to stay out of there as much as possible but some times you can't!! 

ShutUpNFish... I'd offer you some money for them vests but they're probably in Steeler colors and I can't have that on my boat!!!  Just Kidding (sort of...).
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Child's PFD 2008/04/01 21:04:07 (permalink)
    Just between the two big boats, (one here, one in erie) I probably have at least 18 youth life jackets, cause of all the nieces and nephews and my own kids, and if you are gonna baby sit, it might as well be on the water, right?  Got most of mine at wal-mart or cabelas, usually wait till they go on clearance at the end of the season and buy for the next year.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Jump to: