a good youth combo

Author
bigben7
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 885
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/01 00:33:06 (permalink)

a good youth combo

this year is going to be the first for me taking my oldest son fishing first day of trout.hes 5 years old. he has reeled in bluegills and 10-14 inch perch in a local pond but hasnt casted by himself yet,i want to let him practice a few days before the opener. im looking to to buy him a good rod and reel combo for stockies on small streams.any suggestions of what to buy will be appreciated.
i dont want to buy him a junky one like the snoopy pole but im not looking to spend 100 dollars either.
i learned how to fish on zebco 33`s closed face reels.i was thinking a spincast might be good?
thanks in advance,i cant wait til opening day...

7 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: a good youth combo 2008/04/01 02:31:39 (permalink)
    I bought mine a decent pushbutton setup (shakespheare) at a local bait shop but have seen the same one at wal-mart for around 20 bucks.  I think it was good that I stuck with the push button for him for a year or two first.  It was just less things for him to think about.  He was 4 when I got that one then I went and got the rubber practice casting plugs and turned him loose in the back yard.   I looked at a bunch that were about that price and went with the one that had the best drag which ended up being the shakespheare honestly for the money it is a pretty decent combo.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: a good youth combo 2008/04/01 11:52:19 (permalink)
    ben, how about a nice sage 5 wt. and an orvis battenkill  la reel?

ok, just kidding.  i bought my wife and daughter spincast outfits to start with.  my daughter's cheap outfit fell apart quickly.  my wife has a johnson spincast reel (20 bucks) and a close out rapala rod (15 bucks).  has been around for a bunch of years now with no problems.  my daughter uses the same with a 33 and it has held up also. 

bigben7
    Expert Angler
    RE: a good youth combo 2008/04/01 12:32:49 (permalink)
    lol.
    thanks for the suggestions. there is a cabelas 4'6" spin combo on close out for 20 bucks.i might get it just because its such a good deal and put a 33 on it. then when hes old enough i will have  the spinning reel to put on it.
    its going to be fast action, even with a couple tangles he will have his limit in 20 minutes i just hope he doesnt get spoiled and always expect it to be that easy

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: a good youth combo 2008/04/01 14:44:16 (permalink)
    bigben -

i bought my kids a $5 zebco pushbutton reel at walmart last year that worked great, and has worked well so far this year.  I put it on an older rod that used to have the Zebco 33 that bit the dust.  One of the reasons I picked this reel is that it had what appears to be about 6lb. line on it as compared with 10 or 12 on most push buttons.  My son is 4 and my daughter is 7, and both of them can cast it pretty well with the lighter line.  They have caught big bluegills up to 9", bass up to 15" and trout on it, and have had no problems.  I've found too that they'd rather catch 20 bluegills than five or six trout. 

From my own experience, I think I got my first spinning reel at about age 9 or 10 a couple days before the first day.  That was one of the most miserable days I've ever spent fishing and I don't think I've heard my dad swear as much in his entire life total as he did that day at that reel and all the birds nests. 
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: a good youth combo 2008/04/01 20:48:31 (permalink)
    bigben
    it doesn't matter if they get spoiled, they are supposed to.....as long as they learn to like catching fish, they will learn later how the real world works........

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    RE: a good youth combo 2008/04/02 01:02:54 (permalink)
    yeah.no doubt a spinning reel would ruin the day.my biggest fear with Trenton is patience,he is a little bit hyperactive but he seems to really be into the outdoors.one thing good my dad grew up in the area we are fishing so if Trenton gets tired of standing in one spot we can go somewhere else and fish.
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    RE: a good youth combo 2008/04/02 01:06:50 (permalink)
    i know i never got tired of catching fish.thats probably why i make my way to the spillway 4+times a summber with a loaf of bread in hand.
    Jump to: