Raystown anglers.............

Author
Keystone fishin
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/31 23:34:52 (permalink)

Raystown anglers.............

Watch out for eyes in the woods(especially around boat launch) They`re  watching you! 
post edited by Keystone fishin - 2008/03/31 23:37:01

.... .... .. .... ... .....

15 Replies Related Threads

earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/01 22:09:31 (permalink)
    I hope that they watch it long enough to catch the slobs that poached a hen walleye and left the mass of eggs floating at Shy Beaver.  I have a nice picture of it if the patrol officers need some evidence.  Actually I am not sure that it was walleye spawn BUT I can't imagine a perch that big AND the eggs certainly came from a long slender shaped fish.  Again, I have no problem being watched or checked.  It happend to me Sunday on a different piece of water so it is no biggie!

Brent
    Keystone fishin
    New Angler
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/02 01:21:53 (permalink)
    Hey calm down ole` buddy.  I don`t mind being checked either, what I mind is being harassed while I`m fishing. (Shore fishing with my young daughter) Let them earn their money by catching someone in the wrong!

CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/02 08:14:01 (permalink)
    I know what you mean by eyes in the woods, heck I lived 1 block away from a warden for years and he would still sneek around the lake or stream and check me three times a year. Always checked my license never looked for fish I mean if I have it the first time i'll have it all year. So your dead on when you say you don't want to be harrassed.
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/02 09:30:27 (permalink)
     Keystone,
    I was not really wound up!  There are some waterway officers in our region who are really gung ho about what they do.  As long as they do their job without and attitude that they "own" any of the water, land or resources that belongs to the taxpayer AND as long as they do not harrass those who like to spend some time, legally fishing then I have no issue.  I do remember the first time myself and a fishing buddy were stopped on Glendale in the late 80's because the sun just touched the western mountains and we did not yet turn on the boat lights.  The officer pulled back his jacket, casually exposing a revolver and said "Get of MY lake NOW".  We did as he demanded but never forgot that pompuos****

Anyways, what is the young officer looking for at the dam?  I spoke to him down at the point a couple of times with no problem. It does wind him up though when people try to keep small stripers and pass them of as white bass  LOL!

Brent
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/02 12:07:35 (permalink)
    I had the same thing at Glendale the warden who lived by us checked us like 3 times in the same year up there, he was very well known in Cambria county for being kind of a bozo, and never seemed to mellow out even when he was getting sick. He passed away last summer I believe.
    Keystone fishin
    New Angler
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/02 15:11:54 (permalink)
    I just wish they could lose the attitude along with that chip on their shoulder. Act like you just committed murder when you are perfectly legal! Don`t mind when they pinch people for the right reason. But as a tax payer I`m paying there salary. My buddy pulled his truck and trailer away from the launch(not at Raystown) when a warden flew in and blocked him off almost causing a accident. What`s the sense in that? He said if he would have hit his truck he would have sued.

cjbs2003
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/02 23:33:42 (permalink)
    Being a police officer in VA and assisting our game wardens who enforce both fish and game laws, VA has only one agency not two like PA... Most of the game wardens I know in VA are great guys who love to fish and hunt and want to see that those traditions and opportunities exist for future generations. So I have nothing but good things to say about VA game wardens. Sadly my only personal experience with a PA Fish warden was when I was in college. I was fishing a very swift section of Yellow Creek. The warden requested that I immediately cross the creek so he could check my license and creel. I explained to him crossing there was unsafe but as soon as I could get further down river I would cross. He became extremely rude and flipped out on me. I have had no other experiences with fish wardens in PA. I have also had several bad experiences with game wardens in PA. I am sure there are many great fish and game wardens in PA, and a couple of the game wardens I have met were just that, polite, friendly and just doing their jobs. Being a law enforcement officer is a tough job and being a game warden maybe even tougher, since everyone you deal with is armed! But being rude to the citizens gets you and your department no where in the long run. 

What ever floats your boat, just keep it on your side of the lake...
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/03 02:45:32 (permalink)
    In the past several months, I have witness a wading angler called from the waters to be checked and a boat called off of a lake over a public address system. . .must you comply or do the officers need to do the footwork?  I ask out of curiosity of the written law.  I can imagine that if you took a hard stance and said to the enforcement officer "you can come to me" that if they were unprepared (no waders, no boat) they they could "wait you out" and then really be angry.  I was pretty sure that they needed to come to you but I am less confident that I know the law after witnessing it in action.

Brent
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/03 08:43:42 (permalink)
    I have met a few decent wardens in my travels both fishing and hunting, but for the most part they all have a chip on the shoulder and a god complex. The warden who lived by me told us he got paid when he went to court and the people he fined were gonna pay up. So it stands to reason that the deputy warden not the ones in charge of the whole region are gonna be out for blood when it comes to checking guys. If I had to draw a line between them I'd say fish wardens are much worse mostly because of the trout issue, that really puts them in the spot-light when they are driving up behind those trucks full of pelletheads and there is a creek or lake full of potential fines waiting for them.
    jackq
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/03 13:06:40 (permalink)
    I've had several chances to speak to the Blair Co. WCO, Garman I believe his name is and he's been a real gentleman. But on the other hand I've had experiences with his deputies that weren't very pleasant. I had one come up to me this past winter on the lower section of Canoe Creek while I was fishing and ask me what (NOT how) I was doing......DUH!!!!
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/04 00:09:47 (permalink)
    yeah I hate to say it but for the most part the deputys are the bozo's.
    cjbs2003
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/04 03:53:08 (permalink)
    Perhaps that is why the game wardens in VA are of a much kinder and professional manner than in PA, there are no deputy wardens. Seems like the power tends to go to their head a little more in my opinion. By law, a law enforcement officer cannot be paid by how many tickets he writes or make a profit from the fine. There are Supreme Court rulings on that. As far as whether a warden has to come to you or you have to come to them, I would imagine it depends on the circumstances. As in my case, I was in an unsafe location to cross, so I didn't care how mad the warden got, I was not crossing in belly button high water that was cranking along at race car pace on slippery rocks. Now if you are on a boat and they request you to come to shore, that is a good question... One that I do not know the answer to for sure. Maybe someone else does or could ask a warden that isn't a jerk to answer... If I had to make a guess, I would have to say you probably are required to go to shore to allow the checking of your license and creel though.

What ever floats your boat, just keep it on your side of the lake...
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/05 21:22:29 (permalink)
    well lets hope with a new year ahead maybe some of the way too over zealous wardens have mellowed out for a change.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/06 00:00:41 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
         Been checked quite a few times on the tribs and I have yet to run into a person who I would call disrespectful.  Most of the fish cops I have encountered have been quite nice actually.  And they have even gone out of their way to offer helpful tips.  But I have met some real jerks down in south central pa.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    CATMAN610
    Expert Angler
    RE: Raystown anglers............. 2008/04/06 11:50:25 (permalink)
    I have to say that sometimes the wardens themselves are not the most blockheaded, but the guys running around the wardens and stock trucks in the spring wearing PFBC hats thinking they work for them. Someone needs to tell them, well maybe I am, that they sometimes get in the way of having a decent day off work or just out of the house with all the kissy facing to the wardens. They need to do themselves a favor and act normal, and stop embarrassing themsleves.
    Jump to: