Author
casts_by_fly
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 671
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/31 16:46:30 (permalink)

Test River Photo

HI Guys,

In my previous posts I mentioned that we weren't fishing the full river, rather carriers that were a fraction of the size. Our boss snapped the below pic when Rachel and I were fishing with him back in october. It shows the full width of the river. You can see bottom right in front of us. Keep in mind that where you see bottom there is about 3' deep, as is the whole river at that point. It is about 25-30 yards across there and pretty uniform for depth and flow. This was a no wading stretch, thus the wellies.

That was a good day on the stream. Between the two of us we caught 57 (36 and 21) and I wasn't fishing much before lunch time so that Rachel could get into some fish. Can't wait to go back to that stretch.

Thanks,
Rick

5 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Test River Photo 2008/03/31 19:12:40 (permalink)
    You Tease  You know how I feel about that water

Great picture

mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Test River Photo 2008/04/03 19:42:06 (permalink)
    Nice river...but you may want to work on getting a better drift, I think you might be getting some drag there...
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Test River Photo 2008/04/07 05:14:41 (permalink)
    That's not me in the pink boots... Oh, you mean line drag.  Yeah, a little.

Thanks
    Rick
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Test River Photo 2008/04/08 09:02:52 (permalink)
    Rick,

How come you didn't bring Rachel to fish the Little J with us -- she is sure a lot better to look at than the guy you brought along who wet waded in flip-flops and lost them in the current-- LOL.

How is Roxy doing?

My older pointer, Duncan, died from the dog food recall last May, so we decided to have Darty bred and since have a new pointer pup that we call Dyson.  Well, his name is Dyson, but my wife refers to him as Lucifer.  He is doing very well with yard work and will be put over quail next month.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Test River Photo 2008/04/09 06:16:51 (permalink)
    Dunc,

She doesn't wade.  She only fishes when she can use her rod (7'9" 3 wt), from shore, and see fish.  If the fishing is tough, she'll stick it out a while but not long.  If she can see fish she'll keep trying.  I've had her out for steelhead a time or two in Ohio (she caught a couple), trout in the laurel highlands, bluegill in ponds, and of course on the Test.  She'll go a couple times a year, so I can't complain.

Sorry to hear about Duncan.  Lots of people were hit with that one.  I'm glad roxy wasn't on one of the affected foods.

Rox is doing well.  There are tons of birds over here.  The local shoots raise pheasants in open top pens while they are poults/chicks, but once they can fly they are free to roam.  So they will roam the fields during the day and come back to their primary roost area (which is normally close to the initial release pens) at night.  On any given day when I take her for a walk there will be a dozen or so in different fields.  There are wild partridge and woodcock around too.  She still has the same drive to get them.  Pigeon have been tough, but I'm looking to get some decoying in over the next couple weeks.  She's still not steady while waiting around for birds (she's a finder, not a waiter) but I haven't had her out much for that purpose.

I will say that she is the most optimistic dog ever.  Every time I shoot she expects that there is a bird coming down for her.  Last time out pigeon shooting she was ready to go get the bird as soon as I shot.  Then she gives me 'that look' when I tell her no bird.  Repeat 18-20 times and that's a blow to your shooting confidence.  "Why can't you hit them dad", "where's the bird dad".

Thanks,
    Rick
    Jump to: