Author
earlysecond
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 212
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/25 18:23:30 (permalink)

Gulp Fisherman

Hey guys,

Just a heads up and a plug for the sponsors of this board.  I fish A LOT of Gulp soft baits by Berkley.  I have had fantastic success with this bait and it actually DOES, occasionally outfish live bait. . ask my fishing partners! 

Anyway, recently, I tried to refresh my stock and get some different baits.  I shopped both Bass Pro and Cabelas online. . .largely because I had some Christmas gift cards to use.  I could NOT find many of the pouplar sizes and colors on which I have come to rely.  FishUSA does show stock of all of the popular sizes and colors that I have not even seen listed before.

I thank the sponsors and wanted to give them a plug.  There is a rebate program on this bait currently which makes it affordable for all to try out!

Brent

8 Replies Related Threads

cjbs2003
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Gulp Fisherman 2008/03/26 05:35:32 (permalink)
    I'll need to take out a second mortgage on my house to fish with that stuff! Cost more than live bait and in my opion doesn't even work half as good!

What ever floats your boat, just keep it on your side of the lake...
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9691
    RE: Gulp Fisherman 2008/03/26 08:37:26 (permalink)
    I've done pretty well with it.  Those and the Berkley Powerbait moulded baits.  They are a bit pricier than the live stuff.  But I probably release more live bait than I use.  The unused moulded stuff goes back into the tacklebox for the next trip. 

$5+ for 10 night crawlers is a rather rediculous price, but having a wife that will throw away bait that I try to keep, it ends up being about the same price.  I usually try to use just about everything in my tacklebox before resorting to live bait anyway.  Having this stuff around keeps me from having to make a special trip to grab live bait, that many times doesn't get touched until it is dumped out...
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Gulp Fisherman 2008/03/26 09:37:59 (permalink)
    cjbs,

yes, it is very expensive.  I usually fish sitck baits, whether they are hard baits that range from flukes at .25 @ or a lucky craft crank bait at $15@ the soft gulp falls somwhere it between.  Much of the time I am fishing baits they are bouncing off the bottom, that is where th fish I want to catch are hanging.  Gulp is the ONLY artificial bait that I have thrown that can lay on the bottom just like bait and fish have picked it up!  Gulp is my confidence bait, right after live minnows.  We usually get our own bait with a seine.

I called out the button at the top of the page because is you DO already fish gulp then you can score 3 packs for $10 with the rebate.  If you never fished the stuff this is also a good chance to give it a try.

Brent

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Gulp Fisherman 2008/04/01 14:07:33 (permalink)
    Anything like powerbait, and gulp are not worth the money it's to much money for junk like that.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    RE: Gulp Fisherman 2008/04/01 21:55:09 (permalink)
    I respect your opinion. . .however after watching my son catch his first stock trout on a 2" minnow grub in some crazy, loud color when live bait and spinners were not productive was worth the $5 price of admission for me.  I do not enjoy investing money in unproductive bait.  If a lure works for someone else a decent precentage of the time in a place that I regularly fish, I might just have to own one.  Do not misunderstand me.  There is 1/2 a pound of fatheads in storage at my house right now.  I have maggots, mealworms and waxworms in yet another cooler.  I/we spend a good bit of time before most every trip catching our own live bait. What confidence bait do you have, maybe I should consider that as well?

Brent
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Gulp Fisherman 2008/04/03 18:51:54 (permalink)
    brent here is a gulp caught koke lol

I have become comfortably numb
    polar bear
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Gulp Fisherman 2008/04/04 21:38:37 (permalink)

here is a small steelie that fell to a GULP Mini_Earthworm
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Gulp Fisherman 2008/04/04 23:29:03 (permalink)
    I don't fish bait personally, but I did just get a bunch of Angora Yarn from the store for tying flies.

Lyrical
    Jump to: