Eyelet threader??

Author
krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/23 14:24:43 (permalink)

Eyelet threader??

Was wondering if anyone has used anything for threading tippet  though eyelets.  My Dad has trouble seeing small flys and does not have very nimble fingers.  We fish Oil a lot, and I always have to wade over to him to thread his flys for him.  I was looking in the Cabelas magazine today and saw a magnetic one, where you just run your line through a crack and the eye sticks to a magnet.  Anyone got any info.  Thanks..Krott

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.

11 Replies Related Threads

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/23 14:47:15 (permalink)
    Go to a arts and crafts store, in the sewing section is a needle threader. Little piece of tin w/ a wire loop.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/23 15:33:10 (permalink)
    Buy him a C&F Threader box made by 3m. It has four threaders in it. Put the flies you think youll use on the threaders, slide the tipet in, pull off the fly onto the tippet. I carry one for fishing low light.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/23 20:57:06 (permalink)
    Gander,Cabelas,an Orvis sell sunglasses with magnifiers.

She had bad body odor but boy could she sure skin a salmon!
    "Trust but verify" R.R.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/23 22:58:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Buy him a C&F Threader box made by 3m. It has four threaders in it. Put the flies you think youll use on the threaders, slide the tipet in, pull off the fly onto the tippet. I carry one for fishing low light.

That sounds like something he needs.  I know theirs many of things to help or improve him to do it such as magnifiers, but looking for something to gurentee he will get in through the eye.  Thats an awesome idea for low light, I might pick one up.  When the cahills and sulphers are hatching, I'll stay on the creek till I cant see. Thanks Guys.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    Clancie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/24 14:48:07 (permalink)
    This sound like something I could use (tri focals) & still need help. where can you buy this ?
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/25 17:09:24 (permalink)
    fellas understand those boxes aren't cheap 23-25 dollars and that is with out threaders.but if you wish to get them sportsmans warehouse sells em. i myself have yet to get to a sewing store and see if they carry threaders it might be worth a look.

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    FishingBoz
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/26 08:42:15 (permalink)
    You don't have to buy the box, you can just but the threader. Any shop that has fly tying supplies will carry threaders. The will have fairly inexpensive ones in the tying section or you can buy the slightly more expensive C&F ones by themself without the box. The things I like about the threaders is that you can preload them with a bunch of flies. When you want to tie one on to your tippet you slip your tippet thru the loop in the end of the threader and slide on a fly. As long you can tie the knot once you have your fly on the tippet it's a piece of cake. The other option that some use is to tie a length of tippet to a fly at home where you can see and your fingers are warm and then tie a loop in the other end of the tippet. Then on stream you tie a loop in the end of your tipppet and attach the two via loop-to-loop connection. This works OK for small flies but I prefer the threader as there are no tangles that way. The pre-tied ones always seem to get tangled up on me.
    Speyfish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/26 13:43:37 (permalink)
    Orvis sells 4 threaders in two separate sizes for $10.95.  These can be loaded with a lot of flies for an evening of fishing.  You can carry them in a small plastic box.

anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/28 22:51:55 (permalink)
    I use two threaders --

I have a magnetic threader from Orvis that works pretty well and has a little hole in it, so it's easy to hang from a cord on my vest. Around #20 it begins to require some dexterity.

But for small flies the little wire threader is ingeniously designed,  and easily fits into an inexpensive plastic box, so there's no need to spring for the specially-designed-for-threaders box. One threader easily holds a dozen small flies.

I've also tried carrying looped tippets with flies attached. Had problems with tangles. FWIW, I cut 3" diameter circles from a manila file folder, cut strategically placed half inch scores along the edge, and spooled on the tippets and pre-knotted flies. This system worked ok, could be carried in a plastic baggie, but required a little more administration than the above options and is problematic for dries. One plus of this system is that it allowed me to pay attention to my knot tying, and I never had a knot pull out when using this system. (Can't take credit for the idea, but can't recall where I came across it, either.)

And finally, there's this if you do your own tying. There's no law that requires you to tie an #18 fly on an #18 hook. Do it on a #16 or even a #14. The challenge is that you can't use the familiar hook landmarks to judge proportion, so you need to use a regularly tied fly as a model. Dries are less flexible than non-dries in adapting to this approach.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/29 08:59:26 (permalink)
    folks buy the over sized eye hooks by daiichi #1110's they work pretty nice too!

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Eyelet threader?? 2008/03/29 10:35:22 (permalink)
    Take it from an old guy, those threaders are worth the price. Bughawk gave me one last year. Wow , was that nice.

Jump to: