Lee Wulff in Action

Author
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2985
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/20 10:48:09 (permalink)

Lee Wulff in Action

I thought he was supposed to be this great fly caster.

The video is in two parts.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Q6-6A3vCpo

Gone Fishing

4 Replies Related Threads

Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Lee Wulff in Action 2007/04/20 20:59:04 (permalink)
    That was some great vintage footage!  I think I'm gonna use bamboo for steelies next fall. 

<---  The Holy Trinity
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Lee Wulff in Action 2007/04/21 09:46:44 (permalink)
    Dave,
     That second rod he pulls out is a Wes Jordan era, 6 foot, one piece, Orvis Superfine.
    The reel is a single pawl and spring reel made by JW Young. Another one of the great Redditch, England reel companies.
    You can hear that swishy sound from the silk line.
     Lee Wullf does get the line out from that little 6 footer. Its just all that line slapping the water and no stop in his back cast that surprised me.
    But, it does show that you don't really need all that high tech equipment to catch fish.

Gone Fishing
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Lee Wulff in Action 2007/04/21 14:42:36 (permalink)
    Loopy,
         Danger will Robinson! Danger!  I don't know what type of Bamboo rod you are planning to use for Steel but be CAREFULL.  In many of the situations where you will encounter steel, bamboo will not take the repeated shocks of steelhead fishing.  You are going to have to give the fish plenty of room and plenty of time to wear itself out.  Bamboo is nowhere near as forgiving as graphite (or fiberglass)  Bamboo will take a good steady set and hold it's set for a long time but if you get a fish in something like the "chutes" or the project waters you may wind up with kindling.   See Bughawks' Steel vs Bamboo on the old site.  The rod he broke was built for steel but it still broke due to the fishing conditions he encountered. 
          Unless you have a big, old atlantic salmon or West Coast rod (Both good for a really severe case of tennis elbow after an hour or two)you will not be able to turn the fish, or horse it around to make it go where you want it to go.  You just got to keep them away from fast water and tire them out.  Good luck  My best on bamboo is a 24 " brown.  Bug landed a 25" steelhead.  I've got to break his record. LOL  But at least now I'm making my own.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Lee Wulff in Action 2007/04/22 08:50:14 (permalink)
    He was the Greatest. My line hits the water like that too. Better to load a small rod with water tension for long casts vs. tearing a rotator cuff false casting all day & making birds nests.
    I have a Hardy Bougle' that is a repro. of his reel. 100 made, I have #51. Also have an autographed copy of "The Atlantic Salmon". Have all of his books.
    The only thing I dislike about Lee is he had more time for the Salmon than he did for his family.

Lyrical
    Jump to: