Trouble Casting!

Author
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/17 02:21:46 (permalink)

Trouble Casting!

Ok, welp. I got myself a 7wt redington setup for christmas. Got all the line ect, its ready to fish. i've fished it in erie, a few times. no luck.

My question is. Is there some sort of trick to casting with split shot? Maybe im casting wrong, I have trouble roll casting it with split as well. Is there a certain of split i should use? Probably. And what about Strike indicators, anyone use a special one? I used a toothpick styrofoam setup.

I see guys on here saying they catch 10 a day, I've never caught over 5. I know experience is the best teacher, but any shortcuts or tips to cut my learning curve, I'd be glad to hear em!

Tnx in advance guys!

20 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 07:42:23 (permalink)
    Deadbolt,

Casting split and an indicator can be a challenge for even the most experienced fly-fisherman.  Its cantankerous, not natural and can lead to tangles.  Its a good thing to use a technique called "lobbing" in order to get your rig into the strike zone being that you have shot on the line it makes your setup heavier (obviously), so you wont want to use a tight loop like traditional fly casting, but rather use a big loop gathered from surface tension on the water.  When you make a cast, let the line drift through the strike zone, (hoping your fishing with room in open water), and gather some line in your left hand.  Lifting the rod up across your body and facing downstream it will cause the rod to "load" itself under the tension of the current.  Now its time to make the cast, when the rod is being loaded, simply make a nice easy stroke with an abrubt stop upstream while turning your body.  The result should be a nice floppy, open looped cast, be sure to mend upstream right after the cast as your fly line will usually be in front of your indicator....  SImply put you will want to slow down your casting stroke depending on how much shot you are playing with, it can be a challenge for everyone.  Rod action can make a difference too.

Roll casting shot (let alone an Indicator) is not simple, but not impossible.  The general rule of thumb I see most anglers doing is during the first part of the cast, they have the rod pointed straight up thus allowing no inertia to load the rod resulting in a pile of leader.  Bring the rod behind your shoulder at a little bit of an angle to get some of the fly line to load the rod, then really give it a snap forward.  This will garner a nice roll cast for you once you get the hang of it, but be sure to use that little trick of angling the rod behind your shoulder to load it, it makes all the difference in the world when you are casting shot/indicator/weighted flies. 

It really is kind of hard to explain exactly what I want to tell you on here, but I hope this helped a little bit. 
    post edited by Loomis - 2008/03/17 07:43:39
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 09:40:30 (permalink)
    to roll cast properly you need tension on your line. you're not going to roll cast, if at all , if the line is bunched up or a lot of slack in front of you. start with your rod pointed straight out or lower than horizontal. lift the rod slowly until you see or have tension on your line. now you're ready to roll cast. ( i rarely roll cast without going beyond the 12:00 position.) as you raise your rod watch the line getting closer to the center of your rod. . in about the 11:00 position bring your rod to the 12 a little faster. from there i lift my elbow,wrist and forearm slightly upward. i than cast forward, with my wrist followed be my forearm. the quicker i snap my wrist the further the roll cast will go. this is the way i roll cast and like loomis says it's kind or hard to explain. the main point is you must have tension on your line from the begiining to start the roll cast correctly.
    the more weight and leader you have the more diffecult it becomes. if your trying this at home in the yard, fully extend your line out before trying to roll cast. this works for me and prevents snagging brush behind me.  
    post edited by doubletaper - 2008/03/17 09:42:11

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 10:06:26 (permalink)
    The longer the leader and lighter the tippet, the harder it is to roll cast with split shots and indicators.

If you're trying to cast a 12-13' leader with a long length of 5x tippet, it's not going to turn over well, if at all, with shot and a float.  Shorten it and use heavier tippet and it'll change everything.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 10:37:59 (permalink)
    Visual aides-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwBZbnb4cpY&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6h5Gd2CKEM&NR=1  (series)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLfJBTctA4Q  (series)

They make it look easy, but thats cause they're good. I've been practicing these for a few months and still not that smooth. Roll casting in a yard is particularly frustrating but once you get a good one going in the grass, it flies on the water.

Practicing out in a yard may seem silly at first, but it can yeild some good results.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 14:51:40 (permalink)
    thanks so much guys! I cast in my yard from time to time, Phone wires kinda make it hard but thats no excuse!

One question, that guy in the first video link said make sure your thumb is at your forehead, does height have any effect on this? I'm a rather tall guy and was just wondering.

Thanks for all the replies so far!
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 14:53:02 (permalink)
    After spending the weekend with greg and matt I am convinced for steelhead fishing we should all be using spey rods.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 16:08:53 (permalink)
    I don't know if the thumb at forhead thing is a technical point or just a rule of thumb. Given the differences of peoples wrist length to forehead placement, it might just be a rule of thumb.

I use it as a little guide to make sure that my humerus(upper arm) is level, and that my elbow is at about 90 deg., otherwise I have a tendency to lift my arm way up and realy slash the line. The result is a high popping line that piles up right in from of me.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 20:09:13 (permalink)
    Spey rods in Erie would be about near impossible to use IMO.  I dont see how in the world you could ever use one of those there.  Maybe in the Yough, but Erie? 
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 21:12:13 (permalink)
    Deadbolt, you just have to keep doing it and you'll get the feel for it....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 21:19:41 (permalink)
    like someone said earlier, nice and easy casting stroke!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/17 21:21:05 (permalink)
    Deadbolt,

One thing I gotta say is dont try to practice roll casting if you are not on the water. You just cant do it without you line on water.

Roll casting is definitley harder with shot and an indicator on your leader. In this case, do a standard cast, and put your backcast downstream away from the trees/brush, and put your forward cast upstream. 

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/18 06:50:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Loomis

Spey rods in Erie would be about near impossible to use IMO.  I dont see how in the world you could ever use one of those there.  Maybe in the Yough, but Erie? 

Well, saturday was the perfect example, the fish were out a good distance, the water was RIPPING fast and if you took one step in the hole we were in it would have been up to your neck. Behind us, trees.... that's one of the selling points of the spey is that you dont have all that line heading back at the trees. The smaller tribs wouldnt be good for it, but the larger ones most definately.
    MightyMidge
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/19 19:04:02 (permalink)
    Guys, I know everyone is near and far, but if you go to your local fly shop, they will likely be happy to help you with tricks for casting etc. That is what they mean by full service shop. Now on to the next thing....Spey rods are awesome, but for the local area, not very practical. I am saying this as someone with a great deal of experience with speys. I use them on trips to bigger water (All I used in Iceland and Patagonia, and sometimes in Quebec), but even on water like the Salmon and the Catt, I prefer a switch rod. To properly execute a spey cast, you need at least 5 feet of water behind you, and the casts are typically 50-100 feet. Keep in mind that unless you are doing scandanavian style spey casting, or underhand casting, the head on the line is at least 65 feet (just check with rio, if I remember right, the midspey line has a 65 head, and grand spey line has a 100+ foot head, not line, just head!!!). Yeah, they make short head spey lines, but those are not really for traditional spey casting. You also need a great deal more room downstream to properly speycast. If you like the longer rod, check out switch rods. 11 foot 7 wt is a great rod around here. Sage makes one, as does Winston. More brands do as well, those are just the ones I am familiar with. I like to fish them with rio outbound lines, 2 sizes up from the rod (ie. a 9wt line on a 7 wt rod). On that note, the best cast for around here for longer rods is the switch cast. It is very similar to a single spey, but a bit quicker, and very easy to learn. Tight lines all! One last note, check out speypages.com . Great site.
    tight lines! Steve B
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/29 19:39:02 (permalink)
    Just wanted to throw this one out there-

http://www.sexyloops.com/carlos/index.shtml

There is a great deal of info on that site, from fundamental to advanced.

vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/29 21:20:32 (permalink)
    Deadbolt if you are in the Pittsburgh area I can help you out somtime on the stream around here
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/30 19:56:32 (permalink)
    Deadbolt,
          This technique works for me:  Let the line out on the water, face downstream, lift the rod and pull the rod to your right about 2-3 feet while stripping line with your left hand.  then make a sharp cast across your body, and turn to face the target as you cast, and wind up with the rod pointing upstream of your target, release the line in your hand as the weight shoots it out of the rod.  It ain't pretty but it works!  Also, it'll scare the heck out of anybody trying to crowd you from downstream.  You will be facing that way after each drift so the technique is very applicable.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/30 21:31:49 (permalink)
    Again, thanks all for the help, I'm going up for a trip wednesday, and ill try all these techniques. And I'm not brining a noodler this time, I'm only usuing the fly. God help me!

and Vinest I do live in the pgh area. North hills to be exact
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/30 23:18:49 (permalink)
    thats where I'm from i might go to pine next sunday
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/03/31 14:55:38 (permalink)
    Your from NH too?

if so, shoot me a pm, theres a good chace we know eachother.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trouble Casting! 2008/04/02 23:39:36 (permalink)
    Well, today I was out with my fly rod on Elk at follys.

I struggled in the beginning, loosing minnows and what not, but I soon Learned to ease my casts, not force them.
    I landed my first... on a fly.....a 7 inch smolt! I don't care, I haven't been that happy in a while. Then I proceeded to land 5 more, and Foul hook a steely. He wouldn't move either, and my rod has NO BACKBONE. I learned a lot today, and look forward to going again.

I'm a roll casting master now too, so if any of you guys need help..
    Jump to: