Pymy Advice

Author
Steel4me
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/15 23:55:04 (permalink)

Pymy Advice

Hey all, I have been reading the posts on the upcoming season and as most, am getting excited.  I have been reading the boards for well over a year, and am hoping to take an active part in posting this year.  As a fisherman that does not get out as much as I would like, the information on these boards is greatly appreciated!
I am land locked, but am trying to convince a buddy into taking his boat out on Pymy for some slabs and eyes this year.  I am not that familiar with the area, but was wondering if anyone would be willing to share a launch or two that would at least get me and my friends started in the right direction.  Please know, I am not asking for secret spots or anything, just a launch in the right direction  I have fished at the spillway before.  It looked like bumper boats, and that is exactly what I am trying to avoid.  I would be coming in off of 79.  We do have a fish finder, so we would be able to locate some brush and underwater structure to hopefully find some fish.  Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks all!!!!

3 Replies Related Threads

ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Pymy Advice 2008/03/16 00:40:12 (permalink)
    http://www.pymatuninglake.com/directions.htm

Obviously it's a big lake and the HP limit is 10, and while we've actually launched out of Jamestown once and scaled all the way past the causeway towards Tuttle Point, it's not ideal and is a long journey to and from, leaving little time to fish outside of trolling most of the time. First of all, decide which part of the lake you want to fish and launch accordingly. There are quite a few, the two we use the most, the two I'd recommend, are the Espyville launch and the Jamestown launch (northern end for Espyville, southern for Jamestown). Put your address in the appropriate map quest in the link I provided and that should get you to whichever one you choose.

The northern end of the lake seems to be best early in the year and come summer the southern end seems to be best (the southern end is 30ft or so in a lot of places and the northern end is typically 15ft or so).

I'm sure others can give more information if need be, I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to the lake. We've never really done what I would consider well on walleye, but we've had rediculous days or nights fishing for crappie.
    porter64
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Pymy Advice 2008/03/16 02:05:14 (permalink)
    Steel like ronnie i fished this lake my entire life and have a place up there as well. Pymy at one time was LOADED with walleye 12 to 16 inches on average. i had days where my dad, brothers and i would total a hundred fish in a day. that didnt happen every trip of course but you would find a school in may , make drifts or anchor over the schools. action could be hot and heavy or you would have to work for them. never the less you would catch fish now with failed fry stockings in the millions, and lake under water structure being very fertile, natural reproduction is low. the spillway is my favorite spot too, but locals have it choked out but first come first serve in their defense. now if you do find the eyes most likely it will be a "good" keeper. there are still a few coves and bays with gravel or sand bottoms which bring spawning eyes, try casting rapelas morning or evening in these places. Fries launch is a historically decent place for pre-spawn plugging. as for crappies they made a huge comeback. they were never gone but now they are booming. ice out all around clark island is good as well as the other islands or "the stumps" year round . april 3-5 ft is a good depth. a good way to find them is by old fashion drift jigging like we used to do for walleye back in the day. so good luck and tell us how you did when you hit pymy
    Steel4me
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Pymy Advice 2008/03/16 16:21:17 (permalink)
    Thanks a ton for the advice guys.  I will be sure to post when we get out.  Until then, thigh lines to you!
    Jump to: