Pymatuning ice fishing

Author
Trap Jaw
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/15 12:11:06 (permalink)

Pymatuning ice fishing

Alright I have a dilemma to pose to all out there.  I have fished Pymatuning since I was in high school, started with walleye(when you could still catch them) and now fish for panfish.  The last few years since I have moved closer to pymy and farther away from the bay I have started to ice fish it more.  Problem is that I don't think I could catch a dinner's worth if you payed me to.  Durring the months that it's not frozzen I have no problem finding fish.  It really drove me nuts this year since I finally have a flasher.  Sitting there all day watching fish come up and look at my bait just to turn around and leave.  I am using the same rigs that I have no problem getting fish on at the bay or Edinboro.  At first I thought maybe I was using too heavy of line, until I found out that my buddy who is having the same problem is using 4lb flourocarbon.  Thought it was my jigs, until I fished a few weeks ago next to two guys that were great, they let me use hooks, jigs, and told me exactly how far off bottom they were.  They were great, and if you're reading this thank you for all the help.  Problem was I watched them put 30 or so fish on the ice and I put a grand total of 1.  It has actually gotten to the point this year that I am praying for ice out, not something you would normaly see from a person that has enough ice gear to outfit 6 people at once.  Can anyone give me a hand????

Thanks

2 Replies Related Threads

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Pymatuning ice fishing 2008/03/15 20:17:23 (permalink)
    trap, i haven't fished it for years on the hard stuff, but from what i hear, outside bennett bay and out from manning are still good for p-fish.  check with russ williams at gateway bait (440.293.7227) and he may better help you.  he stays open all winter and knows the lake better than anyone.  he guided on the lake during its heyday. 

ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1257
    RE: Pymatuning ice fishing 2008/03/16 09:03:41 (permalink)
    I'm no expert by any means and ie had the same dilema also!However: i think when you said sitting there all day may have summed it up!!  I used to to same thing thing drill 2 holes and never move!! Buy a power augur and when you get there drill alot of holes and move around  not producing move !It works!! You can be just a few feet off one holes gets nothing the other get hits constantly!!! Also try really small jigs glo ones i use!.Ive also noticed if you keep the bait moving not just sitting there on say a free stick but keep it moving 1you should see results. I hope this helps
                                                                  ICENUT(Bill)
    Jump to: