Author
John 316
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 308
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/11 11:49:55 (permalink)

flies

Greetings all!

I was just on orvis.com and they have a great deal going on right now.  20 of the best trout flies for 9.95 and no shipping charges.  What a great deal on some quality flies! 

42 Replies Related Threads

flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: flies 2008/03/11 14:25:49 (permalink)
    They had that last year I got them they are good flies.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: flies 2008/03/11 17:37:08 (permalink)
    I dont want to make waves , but isnt HALF the fun of this , the countless hours at the bench? Just my 2 cents.

Shake and Bake!!!
    Pgh Kid
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: flies 2008/03/11 22:13:11 (permalink)
    I just spen 3 days tracking down a spool of thread called summer duck - by the way it has been changes to summer brown.

32.8 miles to find the thread
    225 yards of thread on the spool
    8100 flies to the spool
    telling my wife about the deal I just got and watching her pee herself laughing - priceless
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 10:12:57 (permalink)
    pgh kid, don't think you need exact colors for patterns you read about. i only have two brown color threads for all i needed for the many years i've been tying. brown and camel brown. i laugh when i read patterns using primrose yellow or primrose red??? what the heck is primrose? never seen it even at the best fly shops. not all flies are the same color in all streams. just get close to the shades when it comes to thread. just a suggestion to help save you money. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

John 316
    Expert Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 11:28:15 (permalink)
    BTJWG,

Tying is fun.  It's my prefered method.  But not everyone on this board has the time, no-how, or ability.  To go to Cabela's and by the materials for tying twenty different flies..........I hope your income tax return was a beaut!
    Point taken, but think it out before posting.
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 11:45:36 (permalink)
    John 316

I did think it out , and I thought most fly fishermen were a cut above the bait fisherman who run to cabalas every time the need a spoon. why not support a local fly shop, instead of orvis, quit being such a nickle flipper and support a local guy.

Shake and Bake!!!
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 12:05:36 (permalink)
    Wrong.  We're all in this together. 
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 12:18:08 (permalink)
    Keep telling your self that, while the spoon-chuckers cross your line every other drift.

Shake and Bake!!!
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 12:38:27 (permalink)
    Everyone starts somewhere.  Be patient with spoon chuckers....they will come around.  They're just doing what their used to doing evey trout openner.  Instead of cussing out spoon chuckers, show them the ropes of your style in a polite informative way.  Most don't really know how to fish for steelhead.  They just see fish, get excited, and the fire is lit until they catch one.  Remember...you were a rookie once too!
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 12:44:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

pgh kid, don't think you need exact colors for patterns you read about. i only have two brown color threads for all i needed for the many years i've been tying. brown and camel brown. i laugh when i read patterns using primrose yellow or primrose red??? what the heck is primrose? never seen it even at the best fly shops. not all flies are the same color in all streams. just get close to the shades when it comes to thread. just a suggestion to help save you money. ~dt

I agree you dont nead the exact materials but it is fun to seek out rare materials or hard to find and bust out a classic. Not everybody tyes for the same reasons.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 13:05:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: John 3:16

Everyone starts somewhere.  Be patient with spoon chuckers....they will come around.  They're just doing what their used to doing evey trout openner.  Instead of cussing out spoon chuckers, show them the ropes of your style in a polite informative way.  Most don't really know how to fish for steelhead.  They just see fish, get excited, and the fire is lit until they catch one.  Remember...you were a rookie once too!

Ive never cussed anyone out, never would. I was a rookie... but It never gave me the right to stop using common sence!!! Its simple fish eat my flys, mom and pop shops sell material to build my flys, big chains are unamerican. take down your flag avatar and put up a chinese flag . thats where your orvis money goes!!
    post edited by BTJWG - 2008/03/12 13:07:03

Shake and Bake!!!
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 13:12:01 (permalink)
    you need some anger management classes.  For those interested, orvis has a great sale right now on flies.  For those looking to create waves, go to OMG and post about Britney and Lindsey.  I'm off to China.  Here the fishing is great!
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 13:15:20 (permalink)
    Fly tying is a art in it's own, I love tying flys, and the time you take to tie your flys is rewarding. I am lucky i have a local fly shop that is close to me it's called Transues bait tackle in west Kittanning. They have a nice selection  of materials and fly tying materials for about everything you need. It's all about what you want. I have been tying for about 20 years now. Started when i was 14 years old and i am now 34. I been buying stuff for years and finally have enough stuff to start my own fly shop lol. And remember just because you don't have a fly shop close their is always the inter net to order from. I can't tell ya how much money i have saved in the long run over the years. Think of it this way i use quality hooks top of the line , tie a fly take it fishing loose 3 ,4,6 flys in a days time that would cost you 1.85 each in the store doing it yourself your looking at maybe 25 cents a fly. If you think all it's to expensive or i don't know how to tie, blah,blah,blah get on line ( you tube ) look up fly tying videos most are step by step. Any types of flys you want to learn. All the basic steel head and trout flys are their for you to view. Or you want to get more involved get a book on midges, drys etc. I am teaching a friend of mine to tie as we speak, he just went out spent a hundred dollars on the things he needed. We tied last night prince nymphs and he did really well, for his first time i am impressed. Just remember can't ,don't never, don't have the money. Will never get you where you need to be. Too me their is nothing greater than watching one of my flys disappear. Or knowing like at Walnut nut back in 2005 that i caught a 15 1/2 pounder, on a fly that i tied. Thats something in the end to be proud of. If anyone has any questions of fly tying feel free to send me a pm I'll be more than happy to help anyone that wants to learn. And i am sure their our other members on this board that could and be willing to help and well..........

Centerpin_drift!~

Get the Drift !!!!!
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 13:21:28 (permalink)
    Hell yes Im angry!!! its cheap wannabe flyfisherman like yourself who are destroying our mom and pop flyshops , looking for the "best deal" in town . well the best deal in town is ruining our country , take your licence off your hat , its blocking your vision , and open your eyes!!!

Shake and Bake!!!
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 13:24:54 (permalink)
    centerpin_drift

Thank you!! you are wise beyond your years.

Shake and Bake!!!
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 15:24:41 (permalink)
    Joe,

Hardly everything sold in Mom and pops store is made in the USA.  Who am I really supporting?
    Good for you if you can buy all american and actually have a mom and pop store.
    I can't, I don't, so live with it
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 15:27:19 (permalink)
    PS.  The flag avatar is for my brother in law who flies guard detail for president bush, and for my best friend in Iraq.  God bless our troops

Pgh Kid
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 16:12:00 (permalink)
    1 - Why don't you two let it go.

2 - I Have been tying since the 80's myself and have always favored the local fly shoppes. I will go out of my way to visit a shop if I am i the area. I have always enjoyed the stories told and meeting those people who are able to give you good advice about their stream and will help you any way they can.

You will never get that kind of service at walmart/cabela/gander mountain.

3 - I support my local shop (International Angler) over going to a big store because they love what they do and have always had the correct answer. Try and get that at store where the employee does not even fish.
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 17:08:06 (permalink)
    First off, I never said everything at a local shop is american made, I cant believe I have to explain why you should support american buisness, over a company who sold their souls for higher profit margines years ago. I would think that a guy who rubs elbows with such highly decorated friends and family would understand a concept so simple! next time he flys to china so mr bush can beg them for more money, he can pick you up some flys!!

Shake and Bake!!!
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 18:02:07 (permalink)
    First of all, buying your flies as opposed to tying your own doesn't make you any less of a fly fisher, no matter where you buy them for that matter. It's this kind of elitist attitude that turns a lot of people off when it comes to fly fishing. By the way, centerpin hit it on the head with 'fly tying is an art in its own'. You don't have to tie to be a 'fly fisher'. Are spin/baitcasters any less if they don't make their own lures? Seriously...

For the record, I've been fly fishing for a little over two years and started tying my own flies just about a month ago. While I purchased most of my flies at my local shop, I certainly spent some money in your Gander Mountains and Dicks Sporting Goods. What business is it of yours, BTJWG, where  someone decides to spend their money? Lose the snobbish attitude, it gives the sport a really bad name.
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 18:16:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ronnie84

First of all, buying your flies as opposed to tying your own doesn't make you any less of a fly fisher, no matter where you buy them for that matter. It's this kind of elitist attitude that turns a lot of people off when it comes to fly fishing. By the way, centerpin hit it on the head with 'fly tying is an art in its own'. You don't have to tie to be a 'fly fisher'. Are spin/baitcasters any less if they don't make their own lures? Seriously...

For the record, I've been fly fishing for a little over two years and started tying my own flies just about a month ago. While I purchased most of my flies at my local shop, I certainly spent some money in your Gander Mountains and Dicks Sporting Goods. What business is it of yours, BTJWG, where  someone decides to spend their money? Lose the snobbish attitude, it gives the sport a really bad name.

Ok youngster, you have alot to learn, Im proud that you are tying your own flys now , and yes you are becoming a REAL fisherman, the truest method of the sport. Now as far as worrying where someone spends there money, yes its my buisness as much as yours, lets take an active role in supporting this great country of ours by keeping as much money as possible here. wake up and grow up , we are in a crisis in america ,and we all need to step up.  

Shake and Bake!!!
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 18:18:47 (permalink)
    This really has nothing to do with fishing. The bottom line here is support the small market shops and buy American. Nothing wrong with that.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 18:21:42 (permalink)
    This  has everything to do with fishing, as it affects our very way of life, including our hobbies.

Shake and Bake!!!
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 18:39:58 (permalink)
    The only way this has something to do with fishing is if I buy some woolybuggers for a great price I will end up loosing fish on them because the are done up on junk hooks or they will just fall apart because some kid in Africa gets paid a penny for every 10 dozen he makes and wants to get make enough money to eat. If you buy from a shop that sells flies from local tyers you will get a better product.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 18:44:18 (permalink)
    Real flyfishermen dont throw wollybuggers...

Shake and Bake!!!
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 18:49:43 (permalink)
    Why dont you shake and bake that "real flyfisherman" stuff

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 18:55:26 (permalink)
    come on that was funny and you know it

Shake and Bake!!!
    Pgh Kid
    Novice Angler
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 19:01:48 (permalink)
    I thought it was funny
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: flies 2008/03/12 19:41:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BTJWG

ORIGINAL: ronnie84

Ok youngster, you have alot to learn, Im proud that you are tying your own flys now , and yes you are becoming a REAL fisherman, the truest method of the sport. Now as far as worrying where someone spends there money, yes its my buisness as much as yours, lets take an active role in supporting this great country of ours by keeping as much money as possible here. wake up and grow up , we are in a crisis in america ,and we all need to step up.  

Youngster? Listen, Lefty Kreh, I'll spend the money I work 50-60 hours a week to earn where I choose, which if it's any concern of yours, I've put close to $2000 into my local fly shop in the last month. You can take the fear mongering, elitist and snobbish attitude elsewhere as far as I'm concerned. With that said, I thank you for the advice. In the meantime, I've got some advice for you...better quickly go hide under your bed before the meteor hits!
    post edited by ronnie84 - 2008/03/12 21:20:12
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: