Air Gun Questions...

Author
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/06 16:03:37 (permalink)

Air Gun Questions...

Anyone have any recommendations on an air gun thats around 200-300 bucks..I bought a Gamo Varmit hunter the other night and returned it, i was disappointed in it, at 15 feet i couldnt get a group better then 6 inches. Now i have heard some bad on GAMO before but not that bad...i believe this one was defected. So does anyone have any newer type models they would recommened?

15 Replies Related Threads

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/06 19:21:25 (permalink)
    What kind of pellets did you use? The rounded ones are the most accurate. The pointed ones the least.  Ammo makes all the difference.I have a gammo that can shoot a dime at 50 feet. RWS makes a good airgun. You might have got a bad gammo but I doubt it.Get on a couple airgun forums and do your homework.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/06 19:41:30 (permalink)
    I tried the Match the rounded and the pointed. the match was best grouped but i couldnt get it to move. I know how to site in a gun this one wasnt getting sited in. I have been looking online alot i've heard alot about gamo being not the best in the world, i can see why.  when i returned the gun smith said there as something wrong with it. i had an old pellet gun that shoots better. i just wanted a tack driving gun for plinking squirrels and birds and cats...and coons..Whats your gamo model?
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/06 20:34:24 (permalink)
    Gamo has been having problems w/ their scope mounts and them coming loose. W/ the problem comes lack of being accurate. I've been waiting for them to get it right before I buy one and that may take a couple of yrs.
    ORIGINAL: Bull Lifter

Anyone have any recommendations on an air gun thats around 200-300 bucks..I bought a Gamo Varmit hunter the other night and returned it, i was disappointed in it, at 15 feet i couldnt get a group better then 6 inches. Now i have heard some bad on GAMO before but not that bad...i believe this one was defected. So does anyone have any newer type models they would recommened?
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/06 20:46:43 (permalink)
    yeah all i do know is the scope that came on it was kinda junkier but i had this old gun that i used a 10 dollar junk scope that is shooting better. I have a feeling some of it was the scope but honestly not that bad. i called Gamo and they said it should be shooting a 3 inch group at 20 yards. i do have a feeling i bought a defective one.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/06 21:32:02 (permalink)
    Bull,  I shoot a GAMO and really like it, SOMETIMES.  It seems to have a significant amount of recoil.  That said the recoil is different than a rifle or Shotgun.  It is a reverse recoil that all airguns have.  This type of recoil out of more powerful airguns wrecks havoc on scopes that are not either designed for airguns or of military grade specifications.  I used to have a fixed power 4x32 on it designed for air rifles.  It was shooting tack heads consistantly at 25 yards.  I recently had the opportunity to put a 3x9 BSA (with lit reticle) rifle scope on the gun.  It performed flawlessly for the first hundred shots or so.  After that, pellets scattered everywhere.  I figured the scope had been toasted and that does seem to be the case.  I have mounted it to a 22 and cannot hold a pattern at 10 yards.  Now I have switched to a military grade 2-7x32 Center Point and it seems to be back where I want it to be.  FYI,  I only shoot PBA ammo out of this gun.  I used to shoot lead, and then  it was only Beeman pellets.  I honestly believe that better ammo truly flies better at high speeds and tight tolerance air rifles.  Salty mentioned the scope mounts coming loose.  He is correct.  However, this can happen on any air rifle.  Once again, the recoil is different (more of a vibration) than a long gun that uses propellant.  The primary difference between the others (Beeman, RWS, and Benjamin) and a Gamo is that just about everyone can and does buy a Gamo due to price. With the increased number of users, comes a different breed of shooter.  The guy who buys a higher priced manufacturer generally does more research, understands the effects of airguns on equipment and learns how to overcome them (ex. loctite on all screws...).  Anyway, I hope this helps and you enjoy your new toy, Griffon.
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/06 23:07:03 (permalink)
    I shoot a Beeman R7 but its a little higher in price than what you specified. I shoot match grade ammo out of it and have also found that flat or rounded tips shoot better than pointed ones. I also clean the barrel every 75-100 rounds.
    Mike
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/07 00:06:38 (permalink)
    Griffon I know alot about air gun recoil but thanks. I dont think on this gun it was the scope coming lose i kept checking it. It also was a 4x32. I used Gamos pellets. im telling ya it seriously was defective. I forgot to mention the trigger when squeezing slowly, i stopped a few times, the vise/me moved and i went to adjust it again and the gun shot. i know its not supposed to do that.   and can you tell me what GAMO MODEL you have they only have about 50 or so...Im willing to try a Gamo again, Just maybe one of the Hunter series. like the Pro? i think i was looking at. the RWS are pretty expensive. Im also willing to pay more if someone says hey i have such and such and it was 350 and it hasnt had any problems with the scope and i shoot it all the time...Basically what i should do but its defeating my purpose is just buy a 17caliber and not have to worry about the reversal recoil. I just dont want the "firearm". i want the air gun
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/07 06:55:36 (permalink)
    Bull,  I don't doubt you whatsoever.  Gamo is mass producing there air rifles at such a pace that they most likely would have defects in some products.  Anyway, good luck with your next purchase... Griffon

For what it's worth, I picked up a 17MII a couple months ago.  If you go that way, I think you will be pleased.  It is great little round and a lot of fun to shoot. Squirrel heads from 10 to 100 yards are in serious hot water...
    post edited by griffon - 2008/03/07 07:08:00
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/07 07:03:49 (permalink)
    Buddy of mine bought a remington at Gander Mountain. What a sweet shooting gun. But as said the ammo can make all the difference. I've seen him whack a rabbit at 40yds.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/07 08:23:50 (permalink)
    I bought a Winchester 1000x a few years back, and is one of the most accurate air guns I have ever shot or owned.  The only thing I dont like about it, is the saftey, it clicks to safe as you****the barrel.  It has taken a lot of squirrels and dove. Awesome gun for the money.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/07 10:28:42 (permalink)
    bull,

I've got a weihrauch HW35.  It is a springer model.  I put a 3-9 cheapy bushnell on it from my HMR.  It will hold 1" groups at 35 yd no problems with the first two types of pellets I have put through it.  If I were in the country I'd sell you the whole thing for $300 (pellets, scope, gun, leather sling).  Might want to check around the net (airgun forums).  The entire HW series are quality guns and can be had in your price range.  I don't have any trips scheduled back to the states where I could mail it to you anytime soon either.

You may want to reconsider shooting racoons with one though (ignoring the illegal portion if you are in PA).  While the pellets can be going pretty quick, they are light as anything (10-15 grains) and don't carry much punch.  They are fine for headshots on rabbits or squirrels in the 30 yd range, but I wouldn't shoot a coon with one.  Cats are a little iffy too.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/07 16:08:16 (permalink)
    ah..yeah we trapped a coon awhile back and with the old pellet gun i have it probably shoots 600fps it took a good 30 rounds before expiring but the smarter thing would have been to do is make it lay on it sback and shoot it under the throat...soon as i did that it died quick..OR just to get a real gun i suppose but i was kinda curious to see what the pellet gun did..I did shoot a cat with it..it died real easy..im not afraid to shoot a cat. Coons though are quite tougher then i really did think though..
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/07 17:59:41 (permalink)
    1100 fps and PBR raptors through the eye kill about 9 out of 10 raccoons at 20 yards.  They may run up to 30 yards, but they do die.  I have no actual experience, as this would be illegal in the state of PA and I am only repeating what I have been told
    post edited by griffon - 2008/03/07 18:00:04
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/07 19:17:23 (permalink)
    hahha right....
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Air Gun Questions... 2008/03/07 19:21:04 (permalink)
    I have the Gamo with the black synthetic stock....I can't for the life of me remember the model...it's at work....one thing I have learned the hard way is that you have to use an airgun scope. They are made to withstand the recoil from the springer guns. Not only does the type of pellets affect accuracy, but also the BRAND. Just like in firearms, every airgun likes a different brand.I can't believe how many on here are into airguns.I have an old Smith and Wesson pump airgun.  8 pumps max. It's a neat gun. Try looking up pyramid air on the net and check out the forums. Oh yea, I bought my Gammo from Sportsman Supply. It was  factory reconditioned. It was about half the price of a new one and best of all, the reconditioned ones are gone over by the factory and have all the bugs worked out of em.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Jump to: