Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them?

Author
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/18 11:50:52 (permalink)

Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them?

About 30 guys on the first day, and in most of the pics I seen from the first day there is someone in the back ground cleaning fish on the rivers edge. Doesnt anyone know thats illegal?  I told 3 people bout it and they said why its good for the river.... then I proceeded to lecture them about the possibility of Whirling disease and VHS .... 2 were like I never knew that and the 3rd said I was lying. Where is a fish warden when we need one?

14 Replies Related Threads

razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/18 11:53:45 (permalink)
    plus it just looks nasty streamside with guts and stuff stuck to rocks and branches.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/18 11:57:34 (permalink)
    You could point out that it is illegal. But cleaning fish streamside has nothing to do with the spread of VHS, or Whiring disease.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/18 12:09:34 (permalink)
    I always take my fish home and clean them, but do you know what the reasoning for that law is then spoon?  Just curious, because it would be nice to be able to clean fish stream side....I would suppose that its the littering or ill appearance factor??

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/18 12:23:48 (permalink)
    I think it has mostly to do with the attraction of vermin. As well as appearance. Many sections of stream run very close to residences. Granted many others don't, but how do you determine which stretches to allow it, and then enforce it? The easy answer is to ban it completely. Many areas of stream also run through parks, etc. that are frequented by non-anglers. Leaving entrails streamside, does nothing for our image.

I think most WCOs would tend to overlook it in more remote areas, but couldn't say for sure. 
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2007/04/18 12:25:44

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    willyfister
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/18 12:24:48 (permalink)
    Your allowed to clean the fish along the waters edge as long as you properly dispose of everything. I think you are allowed to leave the guts their if you have permission from the property owner to do so. I was reading the 2007 guide that comes with the license during the first day to see if I could do that, where I was at. I ended up just doing it at home
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/18 12:29:01 (permalink)
    It is a shame that so many people don't even give the regulations book a cursory glance. Let alone a thorough read.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/18 13:11:30 (permalink)
    Im pretty sure the only place your not aloud to do it is in erie. Your not aloud to completely clean them but gutting I dont think is illegal EXCEPT erie. And that reason is simple, say we got 500,000 coming back which is prob really far off, 2lbs of guts a fish. A million pounds of guts laying around would be unreal, not to mention the attraction of wildlife.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/18 13:18:28 (permalink)
    It is unlawful to discard any fish carcass or parts thereof into the waters of the Commonwealth or upon any public or private lands contiguous to the waters unless disposal is on lands with permission from the landowner or it is where fish are properly disposed into suitable garbage or refuse collection systems or at an officially recognized fish cleaning station.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/18 13:18:56 (permalink)
    I was told by 2 fish warden they consider that littering and will fine you.  it might not be a cause for spreading diasese but its a good way to invite other parasites and critters that help spread them.  I see it could help in some way but 2 sections of the stream I was fishing they were everywhere... just isnt right. 
    synister370
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/19 09:12:53 (permalink)
    clean save it freeze it

thaw it put on a big hook nice size slip sinkier plop

catfish here we come
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/19 09:25:40 (permalink)
    Save it for catfish chum works great.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/19 18:08:53 (permalink)
    of course it would be more convenient to clean them streamside, but it's illegal.  it's pretty clear from the Pa fishing reg. book.  Spoon quoted from it above,and that about sums it up.  anyone who still cleans their fish streamside just don't care, don't read and/or they don't know.
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/19 20:35:00 (permalink)
    here is what it says in the rule book http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/fishpub/summary/general.html.

you are allowed to clean fish if you are going to consume them on site, but you cannot dispose of any fish guts/waste on commonwealth property.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Doesnt anyone know your not supost to clean fish where u catch them? 2007/04/23 21:52:47 (permalink)
    I only keep fish that I fillet (Walleye, Perch, and Steelhead from out on Lake Erie). I always thought it is illegal to fillet those fish and dispose of the carcass prior to arriving back at the dock because how is a fish commisioner supposed to know from the fillets if the fish was legal size? You gotta have the whole fish to show them. I know that even in Florida saltwater this same reason applies.

I know that gutting a fish streamside isn't the same as filleting a fish though. I'm not a stream fisherman.

I fillet my fish at home and dump the carcasses in my composte pile or bury them in the garden. I think the local raccoons like me.
    Jump to: