2008/02/29 18:36:42 (permalink)

long shots

just asking what was the farthest anyone here has shot a deer with the bow

21 Replies Related Threads

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: long shots 2008/03/03 02:51:28 (permalink)
    I shot an elk at 40 yards.  It was walking away from a water hole when I shot it.  Best shot I ever made in my life--not just because of the distance, but other factors as well.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: long shots 2008/03/03 05:32:28 (permalink)
    45 yd, doe, second year of hunting.  Only took the shot because there was brush covering all of the non vitals.  Pass through in the boiler room and she didn't go far.

Probably wouldn't take that shot again.  Probably shouldn't have taken it then.  It was more dumb luck than anything.

thanks
    rick
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: long shots 2008/03/03 08:04:45 (permalink)
    I shot a doe in it's bed at 65 yards once.  She never got up.  That was quite a while ago when I used to shoot competitive archery at a high level.  Now, 40 yards tops it out and I don't attempt anything beyond that.  This fall I passed +150" in Ohio at a ranged distance of 45 yards, just because I was not comfortable with the shot.  I still kick myself for not getting that deer to come another 10 yards.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: long shots 2008/03/03 08:14:08 (permalink)
    Shot a buck in the 60's at 51 yards(measured). It was one of those kill or miss shots. Dropped in it's tracks. Next longest was 31 yards. I used to go back and measure all my shots. Average distance of my first 25 archery bucks was 17 yards. ranged from 10 feet to 51 yards.
    FishHuntForever
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: long shots 2008/03/03 10:58:25 (permalink)
    Will not take a shot over 40 yards and then it has to be an open shot did this about twice.  Most of my kills are 5-15 yards. I practice up to 40 yards each year but turn down shots over 30 yards ever year as well, I spend a lot of time to get the right shot on the right deer.

Most proud of hunt is a doe I took this past year on the ground, got within 12 yards.  Normally hunt out of a tree but that day there was just too much wind and rain to climb so I took a walk.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: long shots 2008/03/04 00:20:10 (permalink)
    Mine was actually a second shot.  The first hit brush and was a gut shot.  He stopped at 51 yards and I snuck one in behind the ribs and out in front of the front shoulder.  That was with the compound.
    With the recurve, 29 yards the first morning of archery a few years ago.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: long shots 2008/03/04 22:04:45 (permalink)
    I dont usually take shots beyond 20 yards, even tho I practice out to twice that.  Actually, a lot of spots I set up in dont allow for shots much longer than this.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: long shots 2008/03/04 22:06:54 (permalink)
    My longest shot was just a hair over 30yds. The deer dropped withing sight. I wouldn't be afraid of shooting up to 40 yds, but I would have to be SURE of the distance. I am pretty good at estimating distance without a rangefinder, and have never missed because of a wrong estimate of yardage. At forty yards, however, I would need a rangefinder. I just dont think I could judge that distance accuratley without some help.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: long shots 2008/03/05 00:17:41 (permalink)
    nothing special about 22 yards i believe. if you're gonna shoot far with a bow to me you might as well just wait til gun season. the idea about bow season is to me is to beat the animal and get as close to them as possible. Im not saying i wouldnt take a shot that far, i just dont trust myself past what i have been doing. I hunt with 1 pin adjustable site set at 20 yards (also 30) but i never sited it in for 40 50 yards. i mostly hunt woods too so getting that far shot is difficult trying to find a shooting lane without making one to long range. hence musky's story about gut shooting a deer..luckly it stopped to get a second finisher or you'd be kicking yourself.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: long shots 2008/03/05 00:54:16 (permalink)
    I get to track a lot of archery deer each year.  We usually don't lose too many gut shots.  Unless they get shot in the morning and get bumped around all day.  If they get shot in the evening we usually find them the next morning.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    boolywugger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: long shots 2008/03/05 18:47:35 (permalink)
    How about the closest?
    I missed a slammer at 15 yards  this year. My arrow got wrapped up in a drag line that I had hanging in a branch in front of me. Missed it by 6 feet to the right.  I never saw the arrow get hooked up! with the line as I turned!
     What a noise when you release and the arrow goes between the rest and the riser. I'm just happy it was a clean miss- could have been disaster. 
    That buck had 6 left, 5 right and was nice and wide. Another nice Erie County buck.  I think I had buck fever.
    Boolywugger
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: long shots 2008/03/05 18:56:33 (permalink)
    2 years a go missed one by about 10 feet my buddy ranged it for me and i misunderstood what he said, needless to say we were laughing after
    parker31
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: long shots 2008/03/06 00:23:26 (permalink)
    alot of room around them deer
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: long shots 2008/03/06 04:12:21 (permalink)
    Best one for me was back in 2004 i had a beautiful 8pt last day archery mind you. Mounting a doe 13 yards beside my stand i double lunged him as he took his last pump. He crashed 18 yards.

Centerpin_drift!~

Get the Drift !!!!!
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: long shots 2008/03/06 12:08:53 (permalink)
    hm the closest was a doe i got 4 years back now walking around with my bow scouting for a new area. it was closer to the rut and i just decided to take my bow wiht me, in blue jeans and a green shirt. Deciding to stop for a second i saw this deer running right at me(it was a fawn)...so i started to draw back and as i was it stopped right by me and honestly it was about 4 yards from me. Needless to say i probably wouldnt have shot it in my tree stand but i just sorta couldnt pass doing that..on the ground..in blue jeans and that close. kinda weird is all.
    Stealth Archer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: long shots 2008/03/06 12:55:25 (permalink)
    Hi all,
         I am new to these forums, but I have been reading them for a while. I enjoyed reading these long/short shot stories. I feel better knowing I'm not the only person who has blown an easy shot. Although I was awarded the opportunity twice in two different situations. About 5 years ago I missed what would have been my first true PA trophy whitetail. This deer was an enourmous 10 pter that I had been scouting for a couple of years. During the peak of the rut this deer came on a mission right toward my treestand. I tried everything I could to get him to stop in the 10 - 20 yard range, but he didn't stop until he was directly beneath me. I aimed as low as I thought I could to hit him and shot just over his back. He then ran out about 10 yards and stopped broadside and after holding my bow back for what seemed like an eternity to get the 1st shot I was so shaky on the second that I missed him by a couple of feet.
        Second good story. This happened just last season. I decided to take my chances on foot on a very cold, rainy day. I was stalking through a high goldenrod field to get to and open cornfield and noticed a very large bodied hidden under the darkness of some thick pines and the woodline. I proceed on hands and knees to get within range and it worked well because he was preoccupied with a couple of doe. I got to within 30 yards and took two shots at him(mind you it was getting late and it was very dark under those pines). The first I knew for sure to be a miss. Shot right under him, so I got down and took a couple of deep breaths stood up and shot again. This time I thought I had made a direct hit. Well I did, right into the 4" sapling that separated my arrow from the kill zone on his body. Never the less this deer was the largest buck I had ever seen in the woods. I have no idea where he came from. Through all of my scouting and trail cams I had no evidence that he was even around. As he ran by me I was able to put 12 very large heavy points on him. With a spread that went past his ears at least 4 inches on each side.

Hopefully you all enjoy the stories. Maybe this season I will be able to share one of victory in claiming my prize whitetail.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: long shots 2008/03/06 19:34:42 (permalink)
    My closest was last year. It was a large doe that was 7 yds from the base of the tree I was in. After seeing how steep the angle where the arrow passed through was, I dont think i'll shoot any closer than that. She expired quickly within sight.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: long shots 2008/03/06 20:18:07 (permalink)
    last year opening morning shot a doe about 7 yards, and year before i hit a really nice buck had 5 on the right and at least 4 on the left at about 7, but i didn't get the buck and i'm still po ed about that. good shot just didn't have the right set up with my bow only got about half inch to a inch penetration.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: long shots 2008/03/06 21:58:38 (permalink)
    I have shot several deer directly under me with the bow, and never had a problem recovering them.  However, one particular buck that I killed still leaves me quivering after 16 years.  I was still living in NY and had sole permission to hunt a 250 acre woodlot of the best grouse cover you could imagine, with two 10 acre lakes right in the middle of the property (they are another story).  On the backside of the lakes was a wide open stand of oaks and scattered cedars.  This open woods was the main corridor for deer to go from the south sided food sources to their bedding cover on the north side of the lakes.  It was a large tract I was in on the backside of these lakes and patterning exact trails was difficult.  On November 6th, I saw decent buck (by my standards at the time).  I grunted to him and he came in on a string.  I missed him by two feet at 20 yards.  It was getting dark and I decided to go back to the truck.  I got in the truck, and went no more than 20 yards when a big bodied buck with a drop tine jumped into the road, looked at me and then headed back to the area I was hunting.  I went home and inspected my bow, to find that my TM Hunter rest had cracked and was bent, causing me to miss my target earlier in the day.  I  called a buddy who works on cars and he brought some epoxy over since all of the local proshops were closed and I really wanted to be back on stand the next morning.  We repaired the rest and I shot the bow a couple of times to make sure it was hitting correctly, knowing full well that my range was now limited to 20 yards and that would be a stretch if the epoxy did not hold the aluminum together.  The next morning found a fresh layer of snow on the ground and me in my Loc On Platform, climbing treestand.  At 730am I decided to hit the horns with some serious aggression.  After 30 seconds or so, on the far hill several hundred yards away I saw a deer coming toward me in a hurry.  I continued for another 15-20 seconds, watching this buck the whole way.  When he hit 150 yards, I stopped and got ready.  As he came the rest of the way at a quick trot, I could see his ears flopping back, snot coming from his nose, coal black glazed eyes, those raised hackles on his neck and hear him grunting aggressively the whole way.  At 50 yards, I drew and waited for him to arrive.  I truly did not think he was going to stop, but just before I mouth grunted at him, he did just that.  He was less than 4 ft from my tree, 12 feet below me and had pinpointed my location with absolute precision.  My site was already on his chest, never counting points. The Rocket tipped 2413 found it's mark.  Had I not had my seat belt on, I would likely have fallen out of the stand right then.  I knew I had shot a monster and nothing like this had ever happened to me.  I got my composure and sat there for 10, no maybe 7... ok, I didn't wait, I got out of that tree immediately.  I found my arrow and the wind shifted.  I immediately smelled that familiar "buck" scent, so I froze right there.  I started scanning the cedars and saw a patch of brown laying forty yards away.  A few steps closer revealled my buck, a handsome 9 point whose 10th was a 4 inch drop tine. 
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1670
    RE: long shots 2008/03/07 07:34:07 (permalink)
    Out of the dozen or so that I've gotten with a bow over the last 30 yrs. The farthest was this one at 23 yds.

The closest was this 9pt at 7ft 8in. I went back the next morning and measured the distance with a tape measure. Both were shot from the ground.

Mike
    parker31
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: long shots 2008/03/07 12:33:49 (permalink)
    great buck mike

Jump to: