SWPA weather

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
  • Reward points: 0
2023/02/06 08:44:58 (permalink)

SWPA weather

I didn't want to hi-jack the Salmon River weather thread for SWPA weather talk.

I know the long term forecast is about as reliable as Phil the groundhog, but if correct, spring is basically here to stay.  There are only two days (in my local forecast) in the next month that are highs below 40.  It has me thinking fishing and possible start of things early this year.  My first few outings usually aren't very fruitful, but they are always nice to get out.

Anyone happen to recall years past that "spring came early" of any patterns that emerged from it?  I imagine not a good thing for the whole overall balance of things.  I'm guessing too little natural plant kill and too little natural forage fish kill, possibly plankton and other imbalance from it.  I'm already building excuses for not catching fish...  I do recall less than 10 years ago of a crazy plant bloom in Arthur that had pretty much every cove clogged.  Whether it was invasive species spread or a warm winter that didn't do the natural culling?  I think the following year, the lake was void of plant growth (possibly from PFBC herbicide).  I also remember back in 2005 when the Bass Masters was in Pittsburgh, there was a huge bloom of gizzard shad.  I am not sure if that had anything to do with winter conditions?  But seems like these short mild winters always seem like they are a great thing to get out on the water earlier, but then end up being a screwball all year long to follow.  That said, I have been in a 2-3 year long screwball, so maybe it will emerge some patterns that I can figure out...

Hope all are doing well and able to get on the water soon enough.  If it means a few more winter blasts to keep things in balance, I am fine with it.  Hopefully those 2 major Arctic blasts did enough, especially to the tick population.  I have a feeling it didn't though and likely going to be a bad year for them.  

4 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: SWPA weather 2023/02/06 11:34:14 (permalink)
    Shad not dying off made for tough fishing all year, particularly on Raystown, because there was way too much food available all year long.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    DeadGator401
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 905
    Re: SWPA weather 2023/02/09 01:42:45 (permalink)
    Well the good news is - there aren't actually any fish in Lake Arthur so we're good there. 

I dunno man, I took a trip up a few weeks ago and thought "Welp, was nice to have a late jan trip to the tribs but Feb is here and it's done."
    57 degree high tomorrow in Erie. What a crazy "winter". 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9682
    Re: SWPA weather 2023/02/09 07:38:18 (permalink)
    DeadGator401
    Well the good news is - there aren't actually any fish in Lake Arthur so we're good there.  

You have a good point.

If my fish finder is accurate, the lake is loaded with shad. That might be it though.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: SWPA weather 2023/02/13 11:18:56 (permalink)
    Yep, this winter "stinks."  Promised my son we would try to make it up north to try and ice fish Kinzua with my cousin but with this weather and everything else he has going on, not happening this year.  Ski season is sketchy too.  Did get three days in this week to try and get some use out of my 7 day Epic ski pass (redeemed #4) but those last three may be on really crappy snow.  At least no crowds yesterday due to the superbowl....and my old body can't handle 3 ski trips in a week anymore....thank god for Advil.
    Jump to: