Author
Hurst164
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2022/02/04 07:38:50 (permalink)

Salmon vs Steelhead

Hi
Thinking of flying from U.K. to fish the Salmon River Probably near Altmar.
Seems the choice is September for salmon or late October for Steelhead. So far been able to establish that it is best to avoid weekends so as to avoid over crowding? But unable to arrive at  decision on salmon vs steelhead for what will likely but my first and last trip. 
Anyone have any views on which is the one to go for. 
Thanks in advance for all responses.

Peter

5 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Salmon vs Steelhead 2022/02/04 12:38:09 (permalink)
    The learning curve in this river is huge. Been on it about 40 years and even had a place that I bought up there just to fish from for about 10 years.
    That and still dont know what I think I should
    Best advice  for up there is HIRE A RIVER GUIDE and do a float trip on your very first day
    A guide on a float trip will give more info and experience than you will get alone in several years
    =some here know the right guides and will be happy to PM you with info
    Then its just hoping to get a run of fish in the right water level and water volume to have a nice trip
    Its a great fishery- good luck
    Hurst164
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Salmon vs Steelhead 2022/02/04 12:45:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for that.
    Hiring a guide on my first day sounds a sensible idea. Please PM me with any suggestions you have.
    It sounds challenging  - I’ve caught salmon and sea trout in the U.K. 
    so veering towards steelhead as never caught one.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: Salmon vs Steelhead 2022/02/04 14:02:29 (permalink)
    If flying from UK, you may want to research Michigan and other western Great Lakes fishing. I can only speak of what others have told me, but I don’t believe nearly the crowds. NY doesn’t have nearly the amount of shorelines as Michigan. There are both salmon and steelhead there as well. This site focuses mostly on PA section of Lake Erie, many with experience in NY.
    WVDepscritch
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re: Salmon vs Steelhead 2022/02/04 16:26:05 (permalink)
    The Big Manistee in Mi used to be a premier steelhead stream but the guides and boats have ruined it , then there is the permit system for parking, fishing or just walking. Most of the upper part has banks too high and steep to fish from the shore, so a boat is really needed, what is available to fish from shore is packed shoulder to shoulder. I fished it for over thirty years and finally just gave up
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Salmon vs Steelhead 2022/02/04 16:42:35 (permalink)
    Hurst164  I recommend you plan your trip around Thanksgiving (US) towards the end of November.  Drop back season in mid April is also a productive time.  Hire a drift boat guide so you can get to spots that aren't easily accessible to those who walk/wade.  Good luck.   
    Jump to: