cost of fresh perch at Erie

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2021/04/06 15:43:05 (permalink)

cost of fresh perch at Erie

Just curious as to what the cost of lake erie perch is in Erie. Just checked with a wholeseller in Pitts.,they only had saltwater perch @ $22 a pound.Looks like I will be sticking with Tilapia. lol  sam

10 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9681
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/06 21:06:03 (permalink)
    That ocean perch is nowhere as good as yellow perch IMO. When buying fish, I personally like flounder. Cod is pretty safe and should be able to find pretty cheap with Lent stocks still in stores. I bought some a few weeks ago for under $5/lb. I have not had the best luck with pollock. Not a fan of talapia at all.

Per the past few years of fishing reports, it sounds like the perch populations are way down. I’d assume the prices are through the roof.

Crappie should be jumping in your cooler by now! I’d rather have perch, but crappie is pretty good.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/06 23:21:26 (permalink)
    porktown, I was just curious about the price of yellow perch. A couple of friends claim that they have been cleaning upon perch at P.I. the past couple of weeks. Had picts of some dandys.   sam
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/07 09:48:22 (permalink)
    Tilapia....yuck.....research what they eat!  

I like when halibut is on sale....but only on sale...
    Cod has been good but I think we got some old stuff from GE my last purchase.   Didn't smell quite right after we got it home....if it is fairly fresh, shouldn't have much if any smell....

Always on the hunt for copper river sockeye salmon too....for a good deal.  Not everyone is a fan of salmon though.

I have seen lake erie walleye on sale at GE in the recent past but knowing what fresh walleye fillets look like, no way I am paying close to $20 a pound for that old stuff they are peddling!
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/07 22:00:14 (permalink)
    Hopefully the Erie perch are back. The reports the past few years have been horrible compared to years past. At least main lake fishing, not sure about PI spring bite, which sounds awesome. But imagine if guys fishing the lake aren’t doing as well as past, the commercial guys are likely the same.

Back when they were catching like crazy, I had asked a similar question, more about where sells LE perch. Many noted to watch out for European perch that some sell as LE yellow perch. I don’t recall the price back then, but seemed very reasonable then. I think less than $10/lb? I wish they would sell it down this way for close to that price.

Yes Eyes!!! Might have been you that posted it 10+ years ago about the guys catching talapia in the Mon. The guy they interviewed that was catching them said “scrape the crud off of the rocks and put on a hook”... Only thing that I can think of when seeing yet eating talapia. I can’t even force it down! Halibut is AWESOME, yeah needs to be on sale. Salmon is great depending on how it is cooked. I seem to fail, unless I smoke it. No doubt on the cod being hit or miss too.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/08 08:32:25 (permalink)
    For the salmon, wife and I seem to like the coho the best, esp. copper river when it is on sale and fresh, not previously frozen.  We do eat other salmon as well but that is the most flavorful. 
    Cedar planked on the grill is hard to beat but in the winter, we just pan sear it with light seasoning...seems less is more for it. 
    We pat it completely dry, then a light coating of olive or grapeseed oil brushed on both sides (skin on), then on the meat side, garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper (I like a small dash of cayenne on mine as well and wife has been liking soy sauce on hers lately), the sear the meat side on a hot oiled non-stick or seasoned cast iron skillet.  Once you get a good crisp on the meat side (only 3-4 mins. max), flip it to the skin side and continue cooking until it's done.  It should just barely start to flake and should be med rare/med in the middle.  Too many people overcook it and make it into bland, dry cardboard.  I eat it raw in sushi all the time so med rare for me is the best...

We usually put it over a big salad or over a bed of cilantro lime basmati rice.....mmm mmm...
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/08 09:18:54 (permalink)
    That sounds delicious!  I am guilty of cooking too long.  Salmon is my personal favorite sushi.  I will have to give that a try.  

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/08 22:22:07 (permalink)
    mr.crappie
    Just curious as to what the cost of lake erie perch is in Erie. Just checked with a wholeseller in Pitts.,they only had saltwater perch @ $22 a pound.Looks like I will be sticking with Tilapia. lol  sam

Check out Tom Allen from the lake Ontario side. Owner and supplier of A -Tom -mik flies , supplies and fresh yellow perch.
    He's a supporter and products carried here.
    His perch are top notch and carried locally.
    Retail is between $12 and 14 a lb .
    http://atommik.com/frozen-yellow-perch/

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/08 22:56:07 (permalink)
     Can't believe what I am readin', guys on a fishin' forum talkin' 'bout buyin' Perch fillets  

crappy
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/14 21:34:43 (permalink)
    Report today is that price at Giant Eagle for (ohio) lake Erie yellow perch is $20/#
    Asked at a local bait shop and owner called around to check. 
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: cost of fresh perch at Erie 2021/04/15 07:38:59 (permalink)
    fisherlady2, Thanks for the info.  sam
    Jump to: