Do you think a light or medium light spinning rod is better for small river smallies?

Author
randyspringer
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2020/07/30 03:53:03 (permalink)

Do you think a light or medium light spinning rod is better for small river smallies?

I fish the Little Miami River in southwest Ohio, a small narrow river about 3-5 ft deep on average with some pretty average sized smallmouth. I’ve hooked into some big ones for sure, but on average they are pretty midsized.  I have been using a medium light 6’ st croix premier fast action spinning rod and my dummy just shut my trunk with it leaning inside it, snapped right in two. Thinking of switching to a light version of the same rod, what do you think is better? Should I stick w st croix? I have a shimano real that is amazing, incredibly smooth love it. I just wonder if I wouldn’t feel the fight more with a light rod vs med light, I guess my only concern would be getting snagged. Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Do you think a light or medium light spinning rod is better for small river smallies? 2020/07/30 12:17:43 (permalink)
    Fishing with a lighter rod will give you a little more action but on some days like when it is extremely hot out like it’s been you might not want to fight them so much and just get them in.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Do you think a light or medium light spinning rod is better for small river smallies? 2020/08/01 17:00:02 (permalink)
    randyspringer, St. Croix has a warranty no questions asked on your rod. It used to be you sent your broken rod in with ~$50.00 and they send you a new one. You can even upgrade for a fee.
    Jump to: