Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 38
Author
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2143
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/12 19:41:27 (permalink)
Chris,
China called. They're afraid Timmy is going to put them out of business.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/13 01:01:11 (permalink)
solitary lp
I might be interested in some molds. Send me a pm if you get him to budge on some.

He probably has a little over 100 hand held ones that 99% people use. Has around 700 or so of these kind,  a couple machines that hook up to a air compressor and elec. that spin 'em for ya. Has a press or 2 that he can make any creation he can come up with. He is bringing me a load ov slate flagstone to camp later today so I'll ask but he is a hoarder.

https://www.tekcast.com/F...ufacturing-_c_120.html   

Stuff like this very, very heavy and not the average for a do-it-your-selfer that wants 50 Erie Deeries or a coffee can ov split shot. He don't even use this stuff, just takes up room.                                                                     More than likely all his crap will still be in storage 'till he is gone. Literally has 1,000's upon 1,000's ov jigs and well over a few million top brand hooks, close to a ton of powder paint, 5 gallon buckets of blades, file cabinets loaded with split rings, eyes, clips, rattles, clevis, swivels ect.. few hundred rods / reels, totes after totes of who knows what kind of tackle, plastics galore and the lures are way out of control.  Told him to unload it and retire but he says no way he needs it, SMH. Wife wonders why my hair is Snow White!!

crappy

PS, filled the Durango with more of his tackle from home, couldn't see out back window but he will have to find a place for it today. 
post edited by crappiefisher - 2021/06/13 02:36:44
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 129
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/14 16:47:25 (permalink)
Fished pool 2 Saturday, caught 2 saugers, one walleye, and 4 cat fish. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 129
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/26 22:10:43 (permalink)
I have been fishing pool 4 for the last two weekends early in the morning. The Walleye and Sauger bite has been pretty impressive.

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1908
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/27 08:41:17 (permalink)
I’m getting a late start this year but I’ve been chasing smallmouth on the yough the past couple weeks. I’ve mainly been going on weekdays because the river is a zoo on the weekends.

I’ve been afraid to try Arthur but I might hit wilhelm soon. Looking to put some fish in the cooler and it’s too hard to do that on a kayak. It’s too bad though, I’ve been getting some nice eating sized walleye mixed in with the smallmouth from the yough.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9657
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/27 09:58:19 (permalink)
Arthur is hitting summer patterns which are really challenging to have a good day. There are definitely those that know the summer time riddle, but it isn’t an easy one. Especially without electronics and knowing exactly what to look for. The lake seems to have gotten more pressure the past year and probably going to take a few years to recover. Night bite seems to be done at least beyond an hour or two window that isn’t very productive. Unless they turn back on at 3-4AM, I wouldn’t know.

I used a soft cooler bag with ice packs when at the beach a few trips this past year and worked great. I plan on using on my kayak in a few weeks. A few frozen water bottles for ice. Get some 2 gallon zip bags to put fish in to keep the bag clean of fish slime. I only kept fish in for maybe 2-3 hours before going back to where I was staying. Not exactly sure how long it would last. If you get a lunker eye, it may not fit either, but have put 20” Spanish mackerel in with no issue.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/27 10:31:10 (permalink)
Moraine is toast. The constant battering has taken it's toll. Not to mention the new "best eating fish around" montra. I don't know if anyone on here has ever eatin' a Hybrid... but they are terrible, no matter what LM Frank says. I agree, Tim. It's going to take a few seasons for it to get back to any kind of sustainable numbers. It all goes in cycles I guess. We will stay ahead of the crowd, move to other lakes and just wait it out. That's what happened in the late 80s into the 90s and what has to happen now. Good luck. Water temp should be in the 80s by now, lmao.
Irisheyeball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 462
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/27 20:14:53 (permalink)
MyWar
I’m getting a late start this year but I’ve been chasing smallmouth on the yough the past couple weeks. I’ve mainly been going on weekdays because the river is a zoo on the weekends.

I’ve been afraid to try Arthur but I might hit wilhelm soon. Looking to put some fish in the cooler and it’s too hard to do that on a kayak. It’s too bad though, I’ve been getting some nice eating sized walleye mixed in with the smallmouth from the yough.

Suppose you’ve lost your woolly bugger jigs by now.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/28 13:27:25 (permalink)
pensfan1
Moraine is toast. The constant battering has taken it's toll. Not to mention the new "best eating fish around" montra. I don't know if anyone on here has ever eatin' a Hybrid... but they are terrible, no matter what LM Frank says. I agree, Tim. It's going to take a few seasons for it to get back to any kind of sustainable numbers. It all goes in cycles I guess. We will stay ahead of the crowd, move to other lakes and just wait it out. That's what happened in the late 80s into the 90s and what has to happen now. Good luck. Water temp should be in the 80s by now, lmao.

I would love to see a change to the creel limits.  They have a 5-7 year lifespan per what I have read.  Whatever the average size of 5-7 year old fish are, allow people to keep one per trip that size (~26"?).  With so many 20"-22" fish being stuffed in coolers, they are giving up 3-4 years of recreational fishing opportunity for each fish kept.  I have a feeling just as many are dying and at the bottom of the lake from those doing C&R through the summer months too.  At least according to those studies that pop up every year around this time.  Not sure if a closed season in July-Aug would do anything to stop it?
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/28 16:25:37 (permalink)
Irisheyeball
MyWar

Suppose you’ve lost your woolly bugger jigs by now.

Ya know I had some of the woolly bugger jigs and bead belly shiners with me last time I went out. I was too afraid to throw the jigs because I was losing too much tackle in the rocks and I didn’t want to lose it on a first cast.

Do you ever tip the jigs or the flies with a minnow or maggot or anything like that?

These flies all look FANTASTIC by the way. You did an absolutely gorgeous job with these things. I thought the little jointed bugs were especially impressive. Thank you so much. They are gonna get some love the next time I go out (maybe Wednesday morning).
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 903
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/29 01:37:30 (permalink)
Was up Arthur last week. 

Lost my Anchor by the cabins. Knot must have came loose.
Spent the rest of the day throwing topwater and texas rigs without a sniff. 

I think yinz are right. The lake is just too pressured. Will need to go to greener pastures to even catch something it seems. I go up, go through the whole putting the boat in and just hear in the back of my head "Why are you even doing this? You'll catch a single fish, maybe?"
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/29 16:45:34 (permalink)
Got a few on flatline plugs in 22-24FOW. Did best in 41-46FOW. Dipsey n meat. Black n Purple beads with a black Willow Leaf took almost all of em out there. We got off just in the nick-o-time today. As I put the straps on, it let loose. Poured the whole way back to 79@Mkean. It was flat flat and hot AF, until those clouds moved in. Looks to be 1 to 3s for the next few days so I'm gonna havta bide my time. Good luck if yer going out. 👍
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/29 16:59:17 (permalink)
Oh ya almost forgot. Boated some "World Class" sheepies. I swear that one was crowding 20lbs. Ugh do they pull. They chased us out of the inclose fishing after a while. Thankfully we got away from them out in those 40s...
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/30 08:12:10 (permalink)
pensfan1
Oh ya almost forgot. Boated some "World Class" sheepies. I swear that one was crowding 20lbs. Ugh do they pull. They chased us out of the inclose fishing after a while. Thankfully we got away from them out in those 40s...

Obviously not what you are after, but sounds like fun.  I caught a hog in the Allegheny before that was in that range.  Rarely did we get them over 4-5lb.  This one was on steroids.  Right below Lock 3 during one of the shad blooms where bait was everywhere.  He must have been one of the drum that looked forward to that time of year.  He was a blast on light gear.  For being a "trash" fish, still one of my more memorable catches at Lock 3, fishing there pretty hard for 4-5 years.

DeadGator401
I go up, go through the whole putting the boat in and just hear in the back of my head "Why are you even doing this? You'll catch a single fish, maybe?"

Ha, ha.  I have had that same exact thought any time that I fish Arthur in the summer.  I do have a few dog days of summer spots that will provide small fish that I often hit up to save a trip.  With how bad this past spring was for me, I am not even confident those dog day saving spots will be holding much.  Last fall wasn't much to write home about either.  Hopefully people get back to their regular hobbies and things rebound. 
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/30 09:25:26 (permalink)
Pensfan1... glad to hear you got your walleye.
The sheep head may be considered "trash fish" by many but they are part of the natural eco system and have a role to do. To me they are a blast to catch, they fight like crazy and they have my respect, so they go back (hopefully) unharmed.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/30 11:36:18 (permalink)
I think guys should start eating them, the bigger the better. 🤔 I hear they make a fantastic stew😄.

Seriously though, FL2 does have a point. I've never caught an AmberJack, but they do call them reef donkeys. I'd suspect a big sheepie pulls just as hard. They fights to almost exhaustion and are pretty hardy to be released after the battle. I took a Greenhorn yesterday. Guy I've know since we were kids. Not the best fisherman, but a great dude nonetheless. I weasled him into reeling in the first few, after that he wanted no parts of it.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2021/06/30 11:37:42
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/30 18:34:26 (permalink)
Deep South loves eating their gaspergou…. I bet they are actually pretty good. Red drum and black drum (not big ones) are both good eating. Same family, should be relatively similar taste.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/06/30 19:21:14 (permalink)
Got into the smallies today near Van Meter before the rain hit. Snagged a couple on the Irisheyeball woolly bugger special. It’s so goddamm much fun wet wading for these things on a 90 degree summer day.

I’ve heard drum referred to as “poor mans lobster”. I’d bet it’s not too bad breaded and deep fried.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/01 10:18:37 (permalink)
Never killed and ate a drum. Catch 'em in the river a lot on jigs, harnesses,  and Scatter Raps when trolling for walleyes. They're tough to unhook off a rap. Even though they're pretty good size, their mouth is small. They'll nail a Rap straight down to nearly the bill. Tough gettin' them unhooked that deep. I've even had to go in through the gill plate to get the back treble out. (Careful of the gills for release).
I'd like to hear from somebody that has actually eaten them. Wonder how they'd be in a chowder or fish taco?

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/01 12:28:56 (permalink)
https://www.louisianasportsman.com/fishing/freshwater-fishing/if-you-knew-the-gou-as-i-do/
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/01 12:29:17 (permalink)
I hear that, E.. I had one swallow swallow a big Hotntot. After we put it in the net, I closed the mouth and the whole plug was gone. Like nothing but line showing. I'd guess that one didn't make it as it was a major surgery extracting that plug. It swam off but I dunno..
Irisheyeball
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/01 14:30:43 (permalink)
MyWar
Got into the smallies today near Van Meter before the rain hit. Snagged a couple on the Irisheyeball woolly bugger special. It’s so goddamm much fun wet wading for these things on a 90 degree summer day. R

I’ve heard drum referred to as “poor mans lobster”. I’d bet it’s not too bad breaded and deep fried.

I feel like a proud Grandpa! First use of the Hawken Aerojig jig head as sold on this site. They are really sweet. I plan to tie up a bunch of smaller ones for steelhead/float fishing.
post edited by Irisheyeball - 2021/07/01 14:35:04
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/01 16:12:44 (permalink)
Irisheyeball
MyWar
Got into the smallies today near Van Meter before the rain hit. Snagged a couple on the Irisheyeball woolly bugger special. It’s so goddamm much fun wet wading for these things on a 90 degree summer day. R

I feel like a proud Grandpa! First use of the Hawken Aerojig jig head as sold on this site. They are really sweet. I plan to tie up a bunch of smaller ones for steelhead/float fishing.

I’m thinking of trying something like these “crystal cast” floats for throwing the unweighted flies like the bead belly shiners on spinning gear… what do you think?

https://spinandfly.com/

I also saw a guy on some fly fishing YouTube channel that suggested using a crankbait, with an unweighted fly tied behind it. The crankbait would still provide casting weight but it won’t spook fish like a casting float, in fact it might even do the opposite and attract fish.
Irisheyeball
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/01 18:11:03 (permalink)
That float looks way fancy. Probably overkill. The crank bait thing….totally whack. I would have to put my COVID mask back on if I was doing that…but that’s just me. Based on my own experience fishing flies on spinning gear for years, I would suggest a few basics: light tackle, 8ft or longer rod with slower action. Doesn’t have to be a noodle, just not stiff. 6lb MONO or lighter, cheap foam slotted floats so you can adjust your leader length, Blackbird shot..it’s dark and soft and most importantly it’s completely round meaning it doesn’t tumble and ruin the natural action, and, very importantly, loop knots. The nymphs and white death can be fished under a float, on a dead drift, with the smallest amount of weight necessary, pretty much like a jig. The white death will draw strikes on the “swing” too. It’s very versatile. The bead belly presentation should be as horizontal as possible and with no slack in the line. Definitely let it hang in the current at the end of the drift. Mess with the shot and you’ll figure it out. Put it in some calm water at your feet and see what it takes for the fly to be seductively darting from side to side. You’ll know it when you see it.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/01 21:44:50 (permalink)
https://youtu.be/cpUnSx668_M

I made a bunch of these from craft store. They work well.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/01 23:54:17 (permalink)
Irisheyeball
That float looks way fancy. Probably overkill. The crank bait thing….totally whack.

Lol ok. Crank bait thing is off the table.

I use palomar knots for almost everything. Sounds like I need to work on my loop knots.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/02 01:34:12 (permalink)
Took a truck and trailer load ov just new crank baits outta here last weekend and now have 4 more rows ov this crap from small trout too Muskie lures to relocate. Seems like we haven't scratched the surface yet. No wonder why I don't fish much these days. Of course I go through all the lures and sort 'em. Just can't get away from it. When I was a teenager worked for Norman's Sporting Goods and it was the main shipping to the other tri-state stores. Had a nice fishing section. Later worked for WM sporting goods section and theirs was ok. Still like a kid when going through fishin' crap   

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/02 12:40:36 (permalink)
Pork,
read that same article before I saw you post it.  
I imagine prepared on the half shell, like they do redfish, would be pretty tasty grilled up.  Instead of the liquid smoke the guy mentions in the article, I'd go with some hickory chips in the smoking tin if you are using a propane grill. I don't grill anything anymore without adding those in there....not overpowering but definitely gives everything a nice hint of smoke..even the quicker cooked steaks and pork chops.  

I guess sheepshead are too fatty to bread and fry....maybe an oven bake or no flip bake on the grill with a bread crumb/fresh grated parm/fresh dill topping would be good? 
I may just give it a whirl one of these days and report back.  I ain't skeered. 
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/02 13:27:53 (permalink)
With regard to sheepshead, notice that those flying garbage cans called sea gulls won’t even eat them?

There is your answer.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2021/07/02 13:45:32 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
I may just give it a whirl one of these days and report back.  I ain't skeered. 

To be honest, if I caught in a clean body of water, I would give it a try.  At least that is my excuse for not eating...  I looked past channel cats for 40 years.  I just started eating them after ZeliSam convinced me.  I can't say that I keep every cat now, but they are pretty dang good fried up and much easier to clean one with the same meat as 7-8 crappie.  Honestly, I like the meat better too...

Freshwater drum look very close to a black drum.  I have read conflicting opinions on black drum being horrible/great eating.  I have eaten a few and found them to be great fried (I haven't eaten any other way).  I would bet they are very similar.  Just get the red meat out like any fish.  Red drum, spotted seatrout, croaker and whiting are all in the same family and all make their way in my cooler if legal...  They are all a bit different tasting, but I am not sure if I had a blind taste test of all fried up, I'd be able to tell them apart.  Obviously, I would pick redfish all day to catch.

I just wasted a 1/2 hour at lunch spraying weeds with this stupid pop up shower coming through!  Hopefully just enough to wash it into the roots???  Work had me away all week during the oven at the beginning of the week which I am guessing would have fried the weeds if able to treat them then.  Oh well.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 38
Jump to: