Springtime projects

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2067
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 18:29:49 (permalink)
Crappie_slayer, 
It looks great! Are there gaps built in sides or at base to allow for drainage?
post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2020/05/10 18:31:12
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 18:51:47 (permalink)
No fancy spring projects here, work has kept me pretty tied up but did have a chance to go help clean up some brush piles and get a load of firewood at my Dad's place yesterday. Felt good just to get out and be productive. 

Love the pallet forks for moving wood around, made short work of it.

Sorry for the poor picture quality...still working out the details on the photo options.
post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2020/05/10 20:03:01
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11317
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 19:19:19 (permalink)
Fisherlady that looks like a good time to me except the weather looks more like Novemberish.

I do miss doing projects like that.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1124
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 19:26:13 (permalink)
Fisherlady, there's no built it in drainage, but I'm hoping the rocky soil underneath takes care of that. As said earlier, I'm planning on lining the bottom half with logs, so hopefully that helps with the drainage and moisture regulation as well. We will see...

Good work on the firewood πŸ‘. All I can say is I need to get a tractor with some of those forks. Looks like the cats azz for moving it around. I'm still using the brute force method 😞. Oh yeah, love them stihl saws too.....
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 19:58:57 (permalink)
The logs should give you some space for drainage for quite a few years. 

Yeah, I love the Stihl saw also, I picked that one out for my birthday a few years ago when my other one (an old Craftsman)  was getting worn out.   Makes short work of logs with the regular chain on it, not the low profile anti kick back chain. 
post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2020/05/10 20:01:32
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2833
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 20:27:44 (permalink)
 C_S, Good luck with the pond. I know some ponds left alone (not fished) around here for yrs. the fish would get over populated & stunted. Don't know about yours though. Might be a good idea to thin the herd, add a few larger predators & cover?

Fl2, Looks like fun 

Tomorrow was gonna bury rubber on a slope one side ov camp foundation 'cause don't want gutters with all the Maple trees. Plans changed & going to go through fishing tackle. Now my son added this to the list today. Least this is on the light side & not the pallets ov Mustad & Eagle Claws that need taken upstairs among a few truckloads ov tackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPWtPsQYAN8&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2WJwnRxkFjDvbygdZqRWfgM1spMQa_g-ne6FTp7ZXybPKTEhdt_qiAUFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Now he tells me they are the 30 gallon rubbermaid containers & not the 17 gallon 

post edited by crappiefisher - 2020/05/10 20:38:17
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 20:44:03 (permalink)
Curious fisherlady, what model saw did you buy? I'm still beating on an old 029 super that was my grandfather's. It a workhorse, but one of these days its gonna give up the ghost and ill have to invest in a new one.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1357
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 21:24:47 (permalink)
C_S. I was running an 032 until the ignition coil went out. I replaced it with a MS 271 Farm Boss. 

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 21:33:40 (permalink)
Crappie_slayer, I have a 029 I bought in "95" and Sthil πŸ™„ running strong. I believe mine was refered to as the "farm" model. Couldn't tell ya how many chains I've gone through but the same chain bar still (once was enough) going strong.

A few years ago I stopped at my local dealer to check out a pole trimming saw and learned that Sthil was producing a "homeowners" version of chainsaws. I have not been to a dealer since so I don't know if the cheaper versions made the grade or if Sthil even stayed with the models.

Dealer said competition from big box stores caused the production of the "homeowners" models.

Just some food for thought if you do seek a new saw.

I also have the Sthil trimmer that I adapted a 10" carbide tipped saw blade for brush hogging as well as a Sthil power blower.

All are a bit of an overkill for what I maintain now but prior to, I put em all through there paces. Heck I just created a big brush pile from a tree that blew down in my yard. Now if I could just get the stupid stuff to burn.

Fisherlady did ya get your phone to post pictures?

Yote good to see you are getting things back to norm.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/05/10 21:36:26

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 22:09:29 (permalink)
Mine is the MS311, I love it, capable of some big cutting without wearing you out, way more than needed for basic limbing though. Still have my old 18" craftsman for that. 
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms311/

My Dad finally replaced his 30+ yr old Stihl a few years ago with the MS310 and he really likes it also. 

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 22:10:59 (permalink)
The one to talk to about saws is Bingsbaits... they are his bread and butter and he can probably steer you to the right one for whatever jobs you are expecting to do. 

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 22:17:01 (permalink)
@BTDT.... haven't worked on figuring out the phone thing yet. I think it must be the way the page displays, it is a bare bones text box, not the full option one I see on the tablet.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 22:46:44 (permalink)
Me neither.... I give up.

I can post files from my phone but I gotta resize or crop, which ever comes first. Good luck.

Hope everyone had a great day, be safe stay well.

bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2022
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/11 13:59:36 (permalink)
I'm at the age now where it seems as though I no longer have any interest in starting any projects. I have a hard time trying to keep up with routine chores and trying to maintain my house and take care of my pets. I think my get up and go got up and left. 
Kudos to all of you who still have the desire and the ability to take on and complete projects. Perhaps in your golden years you will look back with satisfaction  and remember the time and effort you put in to completing them.

"The cause of freedom is not the cause of race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity."Quote by Anna Julia Cooper.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/13 18:37:26 (permalink)
Spent the last 2 evenings getting the 2nd bed leveled out and put up. Got a bunch of old dead logs laid in the bottom as well. Gonna hit up the neighbor for some horse manure to throw on top of that, and then have a couple yards of topsoil mix comming soon to top the last half off. Should be ready to plant memorial day weekend πŸ‘
post edited by CRAPPIE_SLAYER - 2020/05/13 18:42:12

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/13 20:21:26 (permalink)
Crappy_Slayer very professional.

Bigfoot.... I think I can say BTDT😣 and I hear what you're saying. I spent an entire day burning a tree that I cut up last November. Good grief, talk about putting something off. Well, it was live til the wind blew it down and still green enough it had buds on it up until about a week ago. Hell I put a qt of Boy Scout water to the thing just a week ago and the stupid thing wouldn't burn. So today I only wanted to rid my garage of a few cardboard boxes and the whole dam brush pile, including 12" thick logs, went up in smoke. WHO KNEW😳

Tonight, will bring a snack of Tylenol, Geritol and soothing rub of Watkins Red Liniment.

I'm getting to darned old for this stuff.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/13 20:23:05 (permalink)
 Spent the last 2 days sorting through lures. Helped my son today assemble 5 raised beds before heading to camp for a week. Hope to get some projects done & a little fishin' in. Forgot my 2 Crappie tackle bags at home  Least grabbed a few hundred small jigs out ov barn while working on beds. Luckily plenty ov panfish stuff I can go through up here to make a new bag. Gonna re-spool some reels tonight.

Bad frost in Slippery Rock this morning. Sons garlic is looking great.

Nice work C_S.

crappy
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/13 20:35:28 (permalink)
@crappie_slayer   they look great! Have you considered painting them black so they suck up more heat from the sun in the early season to warm the soil a bit?  Not sure how much extra heat they would draw but was just a thought.... 

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/13 20:54:50 (permalink)
 Got home from work this morning, did some inside chores since it was too darned cold to mess around outside then went to our Clarion Co property to check on the progress of a new barn roof. Contracted in early March to get a metal roof put on the barn and they were finally allowed to start work last week but weather put it off till this week.
My step dad and I put the last roof on in 94 or 95, all 40 squares of it... work schedule makes it rough for me to do myself and there were a lot of eave repairs needed this time also so was happy to get a contractor to do the job.  

now to get some foundation repairs started and new siding boards...

post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2020/05/13 20:56:04
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/13 21:09:52 (permalink)
Fisherlady I think ya got yer pic posting working good.

Roof looking good and new siding gonna dress that barn up right pretty.

Amish contractor?

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/13 21:30:39 (permalink)
Yes, they are Amish... very straightforward, easy to work with and I am very happy so far.  I asked the fellows if they minded me getting pictures of the progress and they had no problem with it. 

This barn is about 130-140 yrs old, found date carved in a foundation stone years ago but couldn't figure out if it said 1876 or 1896, unfortunately the stone was lost when the rear wall was repaired 20 yrs ago, I figure after that long it deserves some TLC.  
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/13 21:45:12 (permalink)
 Son had Amish put new shingles on his house roof last week. They are going to repitch one side of his garage &  3 D shingle next week. They sawed the rough cut for trusses. I thought the pitch was fine but what do I know? The problem was no roof vent but can't tell them young Amish much.  They are good hard workers & reasonable plus my sons good friends. Hope they use caulk  lines & a tape measure. Gonna have 'em do a small repair on roof at camp. Hated repairing barns with steel roofs like yours back in the day. Looks good.
lost sage rod sectio
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 00:06:05 (permalink)
The amish didn't miss a beat all through this covid 19 thing. Thats the American way. The American contracters weren't allowed to work That figues Gov. Wolf. Lets open thimgs up and make America GREAT         TRUMP 2020.!!!!!!!
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 06:25:30 (permalink)
Excuse me, but this particular contractor didnt work last month, he is now scrambling to try to get caught up like all of the other 'American' contractors.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 07:19:04 (permalink)
I lived among the Amish in the Cooperstown & Fredonia PA areas for a over 25 years. These folks definitely have their own "rule of thumb" for many of their practices.

What I find, no matter the case, what we see as "shoddy work" isn't intensional but just the way it's done. It's about being practical more so than looks.

If one is not concerned with the finer details of a finished project then one will have no problem hiring an Amish construction crew.

As crappiefisher mentions, use of tape meaures, levels, plumb bobs chalklines, squares ect. become obsolete. For instance a barn/pole raising may see the use of a plumb bob for the setting of arcade post and level or square for placing the anchor beam but after that, it's likely rule of thumb.

Rule of thumb will be evident when one sees der boss standing 50 yards back, arm fully stretched, fingers clinched with thumb extended and yelling "to der left... und up a hair.... , das guut nail the SOB. πŸ™‰

Other subtle signs of "rule of thumb" will be the use of a chainsaw for the purpose of sizing wood post & beams along with cutting flooring and vinyl siding. das?

I found the Amish folk very easy to work with, as long as, their work wasn't questioned. Crappiefisher too must have experienced this sensation, in his mentioning roof vents. Geez😳 if yer having sumpthin stickbuilt, make sure y'all discuss every specific before construction starts. Including the use of rough sawn wood products. I mean Amish dudes be cutting down trees on Monday and turning them into a building by Thursday.

Amish folk are master builders, that's what they do. I swear, as soon as they finish building der barn, they jump right in und start building der barn.πŸ™„

On a more serious note, I know of Amish builders whose excellent reputation precedes them and y'all be lucky to have anything built for a couple years.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 07:31:53 (permalink)
Fisherlady, you mention the age of the barn. As you stand and watch the roofing being replaced do you wonder what it would be like, standing in the same spot, when the original roof was being installed?

When I see these monuments of history, I can't help wondering what the person(s) might be like who set a pole, placed a foundation stone or first owned the building.

Great picture and good for you, investing in a little piece of history in Penn's Woods.

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 08:31:25 (permalink)
The old construction method has often been the subject of conversation, I think it is part of my fascination with the old barns.  Can you imagine the type of tower system and rope a pulley rigging that had to be built before they could even start to lift the beams into place? How many mules or horses were hitched to lift the beams? The barn is 45x70, I'm sure there is a way to calculate the weight of a 12"x12"x45ft beam, but all I know is it would have to strain even modern equipment.  And the foundation has some stones that are nearly 5' long...just moving the material to the site had to be an incredibly work intensive procedure! 
And today people think they have it rough when they can't get their snow blower to start....

sorry to be a thread hog, but I do love old barns, lol
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4502
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 09:35:02 (permalink)
Those are some cool photos. I, too, wonder how some of this stuff got built.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 10:11:43 (permalink)
 She is a beauty, love the old barns. Nice driving in the winter / early spring  when you can see off the roads for a distance noticing all the old farms & barns. They are disappearing every day. Liked watching that show Barnwood Builders. When they have 'em all framed & shelled then the slate ain't light. I used the water level method for pole buildings now the laser is used for contractors.

At camp the Amish had built a attached small garage with barn wood & beams with a large stone chimney. They used the place for a mid wife & their hospital. The lady next door gave birth right in the exact spot I am sitting now  

Amish built & moved into a place a few doors down within the last 2 months. Heck I been working on this place for close to 5 years & only 1/2 done 

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2020/05/14 11:42:02
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/14 11:44:12 (permalink)
Fisherlady I'm very happy you can now post pictures. Thankyou for posting.

I hope too, I'm not sidetracking but this is the Springtime project forum and if roofing a barn in the springtime ain't a project, then baby.. I don't know what is.πŸ™‰

I'm no expert but I do (binge) watch "Barnwood Builders" and they have demonstrated the methods, used in building barns during the 1800s. In addition, I've had more then one opportunity to observe, first hand, Amish barn raisings.

Raising being the keyword, barns are not built, rather raised and continues to this day.

Also keep in mind, constructed
from rough sawn timber, much of it still "green" needing for special attention to shrinkage as the timbers dried. Nor was there need for architects, engineers, inspectors, permits, or call before you dig.πŸ™Š

If ya have a love for old construction ya gotta love the following link.

I sure hope it works for everyone.

https://images.app.goo.gl/sTC12r6QiSJUaEZC6
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/05/14 12:01:30

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: