Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1123
  • Reward points: 0
2020/05/05 19:35:28 (permalink)

Springtime projects

To add something new to the typical ho-hum political debate on the off topic forum I'm starting this thread. Even with all the covid stuff happening I've still been working, but enjoy knocking out some long thought about projects in my free time. Today I finished up what hopefully works out as a good free fish feeder. Have a couple of ponds that have stunted fish in them. Along with what is probably over population (which I plan on solving soon), I think there is just a general lack of food for all of the hungry mouths. Soooo...I bring you crappie_slayers floating fish feeder version 1.0. Plan is to throw dead woodchuck, roadkill, etc. into the basket, the flies lay there eggs on the rotting meat, and as the maggots emerge they fall into the water and the fish get a high protein meal. Time will tell if it works. I'm just happy it actually floats with a few pounds of old pork in it.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

82 Replies Related Threads

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 19:45:40 (permalink)
    Also want to have a garden this year. At my old place I had built a wooden raised bed box that eventually rotted out after just a couple of years. Found the idea on the net about making concrete panels for a raised bed garden. Been working on this since February or so. Didn't follow the exact plans I saw on the net, but built some forms and have been pouring concrete for weeks on end now. Finally got the last set poured last night. Beds will be 16" x 3' x 12'. Made enough panels for 2 beds, with plans of making a few more for next year. Will post some more pics of them in a few weeks once they are together and planted. Hoping they hold up, but the same as the fish feeder, only time will tell.

Attachment(s)

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 19:49:44 (permalink)
    Anyway, enough about what I've been doing. I'd be elated to see/hear about any projects anyone else has going on (other than fishing of course 😉). I'm always up for some new ideas and inspiration for things to keep me busy. Lets see it....
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1344
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 20:26:30 (permalink)
    Better tie up some maggot flies and break out the bug rod

Thats thinking outside the box for a feeder.

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 20:31:36 (permalink)
    How heavy are the panel? They should last a lifetime if the winters aren’t to hard on them.  I use 2x10 rough cut hemlock, by the time they rot out I need to change the dirt anyway.

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2053
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 20:35:19 (permalink)
    Love the float feeder! Great way to get rid of carcasses and get some benefit out of them.  
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 20:42:06 (permalink)
    fishin coyote
    How heavy are the panel? They should last a lifetime if the winters aren’t to hard on them.  I use 2x10 rough cut hemlock, by the time they rot out I need to change the dirt anyway.

Panels are 2 1/2" thick. Probably about 50#s each. Did reinforce them with wire so I'm hoping that helps. The wintertime is definitly my main concern as far as longevity. Planning on putting rotting logs in the bottom half of them to help build the soil for a few years to come.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 20:49:31 (permalink)
    Thanks fisherlady! I can't take all of the credit for the idea, as it is something my grandfather used to do. My property is my grandparents old homestead, and I remember my father always telling me about them shooting woodchuck and throwing them out on a wire screen to do the same thing. I just took the idea to the extreme I guess. Only reason I wanted a fully enclosed box is that there is an eagle that hangs around I was afraid would steal any carcasses left out.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11091
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 20:53:34 (permalink)
    Nice work👍 Concrete raised beds are crazy cool Crappie_Slayer, looking forward to seeing those assembled and growin good stuff.

The fishfeeder, recycling at its best.😃

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 20:59:42 (permalink)
    I’ve been super busy. 
    Dug a 100ft ditch to channel water off my food plot,
    split, debarked, sealed and put up a few bow staves from the last living ash tree in my yard also cut and split a cord of wood or so for the fire pit 
    Had to go to camp to clean up storm damage 2 days after the state put us on lockdown,
    built a cover for my strawberry bed to keep out the chipmunks( I’ll have to take a picture)
    Plus all the normal spring yard work 

post edited by fishin coyote - 2020/05/05 22:28:11

Attachment(s)

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 21:12:16 (permalink)
    Good stuff coyote 👍. Might as well get them ash trees while they're still good. Think I saw the pic of the bow staves over on the HPA site. That looks like a lot of work. I hear ya on the firewood too. Probably have enough cut to last me 2 years from all of the blowdowns I've had. New woodshed is on the shortlist for my next project.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 21:16:35 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Nice work👍 Concrete raised beds are crazy cool Crappie_Slayer, looking forward to seeing those assembled and growin good stuff.

The fishfeeder, recycling at its best.😃

Thanks BTDT. I can't wait to get them together. I'm tired of pizzing with the concrete for the moment, and the pooch is tired of watching me pizz with it. Ready to hopefully enjoy the fruits if my labors
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 22:26:45 (permalink)
    Guess 2 photos are the max. Here’s camp

Attachment(s)

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7403
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/05 22:39:39 (permalink)
    Concrete raised bed panels look awesome. Having the same rot deal with some cedar beds that I made a few years back. Guessing last year that I have for them. I am going to have to check into those. Have always been interested in concrete counter tops. Which the process I am guessing is similar.

I take it the dead critter pond feeding deal is safe for pathogens? Is your pond large enough to escape the smell? Can’t say that I have ever seen something like that before.

Fishin Coyote, that sucks man. Sorry to see that. I hope you were able to close that up to the elements a bit to keep from water damage inside.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 06:20:39 (permalink)
    Yikes coyote! That sucks. When you said had to clean up some storm damage I wasn't picturing anything that bad.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 06:26:40 (permalink)
    For those interested, here is the site where I originally got the idea for the concrete panels. I didnt build my forms exactly the same, but used this site as a guideline for what I wanted.

https://manabouttools.com...concrete-garden-boxes/

As for the stench from the fish feeder pork, we'll see how it works out. Its far enough away from the house that I don't think it will be an issue.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 07:39:44 (permalink)
    Yote, sorry to see that storm damage. Dang that had to be a heartbreaker to find.

I'm more of hindrance than help these days, but my chainsaw still runs good.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 07:55:00 (permalink)
    Crappie_Slayer your feeder brings back memories of putting chicken bones in an onion sack and hanging it from a tree branch over the water. Thanks for those memories.

Thanks for posting the link for the concrete panels. I'm passing it on to family & friends, which I'm sure will be placed on honey-do's and the hubby's won't appreciate.😊

Awesome projects.🍻

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2830
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 09:55:45 (permalink)
     Good thread C_S and nice projects you have going on. Would love to have my own pond too manage. What kind ov fish, Pan Fish & Bass?

fishin coyote, Nice looking camp. That sucks on the damage. I went through the same deal at camp 13 months ago. Might get the Amish to finish up a couple roof spots that I only got to put some temporary patches on so far. Fell off that dang roof twice so far in the past 2 years. Last yr. with a running chainsaw but stuck the landing, Not like the first time when I tried a different style. My ankles are still sore from it though.

Some high-end compost & screened top soil with mixed mushroom manure got delivered this week for raised beds. Half way through installing a large oak bedroom ceiling over the week-end at camp decided to make a honey dew list. Only took a few mins. to fill the first page & said I must be nuts & stopped but would cost well over $100,000 if hired a contractor & I enjoy most ov the projects.

Have around 30 - 35 - 8'  truck loads ov hardwood that need split & stacked at home and left over camp storm damage Maple logs from last year that needs cut & split yet for starters. Never ending projects owning houses built in 1802 & 1902  Body was too tired & aching to even make it outside yesterday. Better get in shape & lose some weight fast from laying around over the winter.

post edited by crappiefisher - 2020/05/06 10:18:09
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 11:47:52 (permalink)
     Did install a 9.5' tall concrete water feature birdbath at camp this spring. After installing it have better thoughts with a 1 year old running around up there this year. Gonna lower the large main 5' pool on the foundation then bond the tiers together & hope for the best. Darn thing is so heavy, not looking forward to dissemble.

crappy
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 12:32:04 (permalink)
    Crappiefisher, pictures look like a load of horsesh_t ...... BA DUM tssh.

Looks like a lot of work too but I bet, the end results will be worth it.

Seeing all these pics, bring back good memories, so you'll forgive me if I seem envious?? 😢
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/05/06 12:36:06

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 12:56:59 (permalink)
     Yeah, a good size cattle farm is 2 doors up. Son probably could have got free cow crap instead ov $1,000 in compost & dirt. Thinkin' might be wiser to buy a skid loader than shovel. Would ov been easy as cake to shovel in no time if I was 30-40 years younger.

Looked out the 2nd floor window little bit ago & 6 trailer loads ov cut faced sandstone stared back. Talk about heavy! Beautiful looking stuff but in the way & don't have a chimney, wall or a house facing in the plans at this time. Thank goodness I passed on 7 pallets ov 900 s.f., 2" thick cut slate patio stone last week  

Seem have a thing for either uglier the better or heavier.

crappy
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 14:07:11 (permalink)
    I bet that stone would make a good looking wall behind that soap stone wood burner. Boy that'd be a fun project.

I hear ya on the frontloader too. A lot of neat compact tractors available with them today. Mow your grass and haul dirt (or wall stone☺) at the same time.

I'll tell you guys one thing, seeing all your neat projects...., I need a nap.💤💤💤

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2002
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 15:33:34 (permalink)
    fishin coyote
    Guess 2 photos are the max. Here’s camp

WOW, what a mess. Looks like a work to repair that damage. 

"The cause of freedom is not the cause of race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity."Quote by Anna Julia Cooper.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 19:13:22 (permalink)
    Good stuff crappiefisher 👍! Looks and sounds like you have you hands full. I'm with BTDT though, that stone might make a nice backdrop for the soapstone stove if you get bored....lol.

Just starting to get into taking care of the ponds. There used to be some of the biggest gills you've ever seen residing in them, but no one lived out here for years and I think they got fished out by some who found out they were there. All that's left now is dinks no matter whether its the panfish or the bass. Loads of dinks. Was a few large catfish as well, but the resident predators seem to pick them off when they're up shallow in the spring as is evidenced by the carcasses lying on the banks. I've got big dreams of bringing the large panfish back. Ultimate goal is to be able to say "sure would like fish dinner tonight" and then go down and catch a few for the fryer.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1868
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 20:01:46 (permalink)
    Remember a great bullhead farm pond- didn't go there for a few years and when I went back the fish were only a couple of inches long- and by the hundreds.
    Think they were real overpopulated and stunted.
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/06 21:11:10 (permalink)
    We got lucky with camp as the tree hit right on the window 1 foot on either side would’ve driven the 2nd floor wall into the 1st floor. Took a full day to cut up all the trees and get it tarped up. The following weekend we got the walls and roof rebuilt. Still have to put new siding and a metal roof on. 

Here’s a picture of the chipmunk exclude also.

Attachment(s)

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/07 04:59:52 (permalink)
    I'm liking the strawberry enclosure. As for the camp, bet everyone's happy they weren't sleeping on that top bunk when it happened. That would have been a rude awakening! Repairs look good. Sounds like you didn't waste any time getting it done
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 18:21:20 (permalink)
    Got the first bed put up today. Pretty happy with how it came out. Took the time to level out the ground, so it took longer than planned. If you look in the background there is an old artesian well that comes out. The pvc leaks like a sieve and needs some repair anyway, so I plan on adding a hose hookup to tap into for water for the gardens

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Springtime projects 2020/05/10 18:28:21 (permalink)
    That's awesome.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: