AnsweredI wonder/

Author
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2515
  • Reward points: 0
2020/03/26 12:49:18 (permalink)

I wonder/

How many people spend more time at the bench tying than fishing?

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: I wonder/ 2020/03/26 12:56:44 (permalink)
Bigfoot I don't tie but a few bucktails before Crappie season but if you want to discuss, the time fishing vs catching... I can tell ya about the fishing part. Stupid fish!!!

Be well.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

bigfoot
Pro Angler
Re: I wonder/ 2020/03/26 13:39:51 (permalink)
The stupid ones are the only ones I occasionally seem to catch. They must be dumb to try and eat one of the tidbits I cast out.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."

solitario lupo
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/05 11:52:49 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby bigfoot 2020/04/05 12:36:52
Right now you can definitely say I’m tying more than fishing. I try to limit myself on how much I tie since I think it’s more expensive then actually going fishing. What do you tie for.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/05 12:39:16 (permalink)
Mostly trout. I don't mess much at all with dries, but pretty much everything sub surface and streamers.

solitario lupo
Expert Angler
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/05 13:01:21 (permalink)
I stocked up on some my trout flies but I’ve been mostly tying for pike or musky.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/07 11:37:12 (permalink)
I haven't tied much in awhile I'm out of all streamer materials I need to load back up and big hooks I got nymphs and drys for days , I'll typically get on a kick tie a hundred or so in various sizes for nymphs and be good for a year or 2 I keep it pretty simple except streamers

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
Dirty McCurdy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/10 08:27:21 (permalink)
I tie almost daily, if not, every other day.  Mostly bigger streamers, I don't trout fish much anymore, If I do, I have plenty of flies in that box to get me through a day on the water.  I have been playing around with downsizing and tying up very sparse and light bulkhead/buford flies lately.  Trying to find color combinations and blends that work together.  I have been pairing them with large & medium sized pacchiarini dragon tails with some esox success.  I am thinking(hoping) they should also work for bass.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/10 10:24:32 (permalink)
Dirty McCurdy
I tie almost daily, if not, every other day.  Mostly bigger streamers, I don't trout fish much anymore, If I do, I have plenty of flies in that box to get me through a day on the water.  I have been playing around with downsizing and tying up very sparse and light bulkhead/buford flies lately.  Trying to find color combinations and blends that work together.  I have been pairing them with large & medium sized pacchiarini dragon tails with some esox success.  I am thinking(hoping) they should also work for bass.

Sounds like that's beyond my understanding and field of expertise.

solitario lupo
Expert Angler
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/11 14:37:31 (permalink)
There some good toothy critter flies, bigfoot if you ever get into it. Saw those dragons tails work pretty good for them. Got a pack but no takers on them yet. The movement they give are great the only problem is they can get beaten up pretty fast with a nice big pike or musky grab it. I know some tied them up for bass but don’t hear a lot of success at catching them. If you get one it’s gonna be a nice bass though. As we all know it’s all about colors finding the right ones can take some time. I’ve been getting into the game changers fly and articulated ones.
post edited by solitario lupo - 2020/04/11 14:42:37
JinxPA
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/14 19:05:17 (permalink)
I do most of my tying during and after the late small game season.  Keeps me good on rabbit hides and squirrel tails plus have a friend who supplies me with pheasant feathers when needed. What else to do in January and February besides having to talk to the wife. Oooppps

A bad day fishing is always better than a good day working.
JinxPA
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/15 09:21:15 (permalink)
I actually stopped tying in the mid ‘80’s. A friend and I were taking a break along Spring Creek and we started to pull out fly boxes. I had about 1,300 flies on me and he had more. This didn’t count what was at home on “reserve.”

Since then, almost 40 years, I still run low of certain patterns at times, but have plenty of friends that still tie that are more than happy to fill my boxes back up in exchange for hunting over the pointers and getting all the feathers (plus the meat).

Last week I went through my “active” boxes and pulled out flies I had not used in decades, literally. Most were neatly placed in their original dozen count ( always tied at least a dozen of something the first time), some with 11, meaning at least they got tried — once. I probably threw out 800 or so.

I get the tying thing. Used to love it — that’s why so many unused flies — try a new pattern, try a new technique, see if I could duplicate a fly someone else tied, develop new patterns, etc. as was evidenced by the number of flies and patterns in my boxes that never saw the water. But I lost the desire.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/15 11:32:59 (permalink)
I hear ya Dar. I tie in spurts. Keep away from it for a period of time, then back at it. Especially if I come across a pattern or two or more that interest me. I usually tie at least three of each. One for me, one for the tree and one to keep for future reference. I also tweak patterns to suit myself. I find that the time I spend at the bench is very relaxing and keeps my mind occupied. I also carry too many boxes with flies in them that never get wet. On any given day spent fishing I seldom use any more than half a dozen or so patterns. I have my favorites that I continue to go back to. Sometimes they work, mostly they don't!! Ha ha, guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching.

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: I wonder/ 2020/04/15 12:45:17 (permalink)
I carry way too many flies, but I am getting better at limiting myself.

This is for trout mind you;

I carry a general nymph box that has three of almost every pattern and size for the waters I normally fish, 6-12 of the generic stand-bys like PT, HE, etc,

I carry a general dry fly box arranged somewhat the same, but more generic in make up as in light, dark, big, small.

I carry a general doesn’t fall into baby clean category box, eggs, small streamers, and weird stuff.

I then add or subtract specific boxes for caddis, sulphurs, midges, and terrestrials ( the main bugs I get on the waters I fish) depending on what is happening at the time. These specific boxes have various sizes that include the whole life cycle from nymph to emerger to pupua, to adult, to egglayer/spinner.

Then I have the “this happens sometimes” boxes that go along if there are green drakes, locusts, steelhead, etc.

I can probably count on one hand over the last four decades that this system let me needing something I didn’t have on hand.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Jump to: