Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 45
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7403
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/15 12:44:53 (permalink)
2 cases in Allegheny County and 1 in Washington County, tested positive. Needs confirmed by CDC. Right now, Eastern PA, both North and South. Central PA and Western PA, South have positive test results. Most are considered community spread.

Per OH governor, his scientists estimate they have up to 100k infected at this point in OH and can double every 6 days. Cleveland Clinic has developed 8 hour rapid test and they are setting up drive through testing. FDA has approved 3-4 hour test from Switzerland, although not sure how many or when available.

We will know within 2-3 weeks if this is overhyped. Unless they staged what is happening all around the world (deep state), then things don’t look very good for the not so distant future for many. Hopefully this virus has mutated in a good way and less severe. That is about the only good thing that I have heard, besides it mostly sparing the young and healthy. The Spanish Flu of 1918, it is not.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11094
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/15 15:16:35 (permalink)
Pork am I hearing I should remain in the warm humid conditions for at least another two weeks then avoid the Buckeye upon my return?

Covid-19 itself is not hype but the presentation of information certainly is.

I should like to point to the interview between past Gov. John Kasich and Don "stink finger" Le'Mon.

Kasich was calm and presenting the facts on Covid-19. Lemon on the other hand became belligerent, when Kasich refused to play the game.

Anybody remember 1976 and the dreaded "LEGIONNAIRES DESEASE" 😰

Guess what......

Health departments reported nearly 10,000 cases of Legionnaires’ disease in the United States in 2018. However, because Legionnaires’ disease is likely underdiagnosed, this number may underestimate the true incidence. More illness is usually found in the summer and early fall, but it can happen any time of year.

Persons 50 yrs of age or older and those having underlying health issues are at greater risk.

Hype back then.... Super Gonorrhea, rats annnnnd terrorist related😳

Sound familiar???

BTW Legionnaires disease is a bacteria and found to be similar to the dreaded "Pontiac Disease" from the mid 60's

Super Gonorrhea.... a "mutated" form of gonorrhea. 😩

Thankfully, Legionnaires Disease was quickly identified & brought under control with the use of available Erythromycin.

Viruses however, do not respond to antibiotics.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/15 15:35:24

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/15 22:24:08 (permalink)
Not sure if warm and humid matter. It might. Florida has a bunch of cases. Australia is in summer and Forrest Gump even has... Iran is getting hammered and not really cold there. Dry though. Getting home has the advantages of hunkering down for a few weeks if needed. Got your son to shop and other help if things really get out of hand in the Pymie area. Social isolation on the lake doesn’t sound too bad either (neither does the beach). Less transients there than the beach too. Although the beach doesn’t have as much transient population as it normally would. It is nuts regardless. Not sure if either place is a bad choice. One thing you have going for you, if one area gets really bad, you can pull the 5th wheel somewhere a bit more safe. Right now WV is the only state without, at least reported. If you decide to take a detour there and hear banjos, run!
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4466
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 09:16:49 (permalink)
Our local Wally World has signs up yesterday that they will now be open from 6:00 AM until 11:00 PM due to Coronavirus (isn’t that actually creating crowds and reducing social distancing by concentrating the same, or more people, into a compressed time frame). This essentially reduces their staffing by about 20% (third shift isn’t staffed as heavily). How long will it take businesses, particularly large ones, to start running risk/benefit analysis on reduced hours and if the numbers are favorable (diminishing returns in the 24 hour opening), they start to keep reduced hours of operation?

We have become trained that everything is open all the time and have some level of expectation of that. But with reduced hours, we will adjust our lifestyles to conform to what is currently available. At what point do we become “trained” that 24/7 is no longer an option because businesses stick with the reduced schedule and reap the reduced labor costs?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 09:55:44 (permalink)
Dardy the local Walmart here, in the deep south, operate under those store hours on a regular bases.

I rather enjoy things like the Gov. from the Country of California shutting down certain establishments then asking restaurants to limit customers to fifty at a time.🤔

As said, I can't blame career shy folks for trying something to make it appear they give a chyt about your health. Better to BS the public, then have the press knawing on ones political asz.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 10:07:28 (permalink)
Pork it was first said, spreading a virus through the air, becomes less likely due to the heavy moist air stopping the travel of water droplets, expelled when one coughs or sneezes.

Also, warmer climate causes folks to be out and about instead of populating close quarters.

Warmer temps were said (or maybe hoped) to shorten the life expectancy of Covid-19

Regardless... I see the forecast for NW PA is calling for rolling temperatures which I believe is prime time for flu season.

Be well, stay safe, tight lines are coming.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3302
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 10:25:39 (permalink)
Close to 70 deg. here in western PA later this week.  Hopefully sunshine will accompany it.  UV kills viruses! 

Allegheny Co. ordered to shut down all bars and restaurants (take out or delivery only, I think). 

As far as 24/7 stores cutting hours, as long as they use it to deep clean and fully re-stock, I am ok with it.  Constant foot traffic hampers both of those critical activities.   Hopefully the stores actually do what they say and aren't just putting out statements in the press saying they will do it.  

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4466
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 10:30:37 (permalink)
To add a little levity to this situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjy7ptWE0N8

Of course, this was before Cosby was a lecher.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1868
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 11:08:35 (permalink)
Read bout a store having 'senior only' hours in the AM before everyone else comes in and spreads germs- Good thinking
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 11:54:40 (permalink)
r3g3
Read bout a store having 'senior only' hours in the AM before everyone else comes in and spreads germs- Good thinking

I saw that on Facebook.  I hope some stores decided to adopt.  

Seems like everyone is sending a COVID-19 update.  Our local Sam's Club sent one highlighting what Eyes said in their new hours.  Giving them more time to sanitize and re-stock.  Those employees are getting slammed like non-stop black Friday and putting their health at risk as much as Doctors making 10 times as much.  By no means am I suggesting Sam's Club/Walmart employees deserve even close to Doctors, but they are getting a pretty bad deal with this virus.  I have no issues with them cutting back hours.

Another thing that I had read on the mortality rate.  Many health care workers that are in good health are showing higher mortality rates than others the same age/health.  Mostly due to long hours and the stress they are under.  

I heard all of that stuff about climate and flu/common cold virus.  We all know what it means to assume the unknown.  Lets hope it does, but would better prepare for it not to.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 12:11:25 (permalink)
Pork speaking of employees of Walmart. With Walmarts income/profit, those employees should be paid well above minimal wage. If I recall wasn't that the same situation for the automotive industry before those folks unionized?

Heck... even if Walmart just gave it's employees more hours but thanks to Obamacare.... the employees got less & less hours.🙊

🙈Be nice, I'm just an old guy soon turning 70 which by the way, just hold my BB gift til I get back.😁
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/16 12:14:16

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 12:52:47 (permalink)
In other news.....

I'm gonna try out the Walmart App where ya can get on line, order your stuff, wait for email for pick-up then just go get it.

Not because such a service will keep me from entering a usually busy store and putting me in close quarters with maybe infected people but because, I won't have to wait in line for a stupid roll of toilet paper.😠

I gotta go....... err, I mean git, warm & sunny so gotta go hang some TP. .

Heyyyy, it's good for recycling and ohhhhh that fresh gulf breeze .🙉
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/16 12:59:48

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 13:20:56 (permalink)

My son in upper Vermont went to what he calls Wal Mart Lite because of its size the other day and called to say shelves were empty with the hoarding buyers.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2002
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 13:39:29 (permalink)
Some advice from a doctor I know suggests at the first sigh of a cold to use Zicam.   I'm going to get some when I get out and about again. If I can find any. Too late for this bout of whatever I have but it would be nice to have on hand.

"The cause of freedom is not the cause of race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity."Quote by Anna Julia Cooper.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2376
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 13:51:22 (permalink)
A lot of colds are simple nasal viruses ....not much works to rid it ...but for coughs I use Coricidin HP  for use with high blood pressure ..actually worked well and not expensive 7 bucks a bottle ...and actually tasted good ...maybe too good for some !

Get ready for the national curfew coming soon....with lots more daily restrictions and shutdowns.

This virus is a tsunami on the way ....too all the skeptics ...put your National Enquires away !    
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 23:04:52 (permalink)
I think it's time for a head count.

All those over the age of 60 raise your 🤚

Seriously, does your age alone, increase your concern over this virus?

Folks under 60, but having other health issues, what are your feelings?

Folks with no health issues living with folks having health issues???

Are you concerned more with no vaccine, or lack of testing facilities/kits?

🤚 I am concerned with the lack of vaccine plus the fact it may be next year before any treatment is available.

🤚 My age does not concern me even though I've had my fair share of cold, flu, and a nasty bought with bronchitis in my younger years.

In 1985 I was smoking two packs of "Pall Mall" and chewing a can of snuff per day. Have not touched tobacco since.

I do not, will not, have not, ever taken a flu inoculation. Nor would, even if a vaccination were available for Covid-19.

I believe "shooting up" vaccines for every threat of flu that comes down the line weakens ones own immunity system... but that's just me being me.

Whos next 🤚
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/16 23:10:56

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/16 23:24:12 (permalink)
BTW breaking news.....

I downloaded the Walmart App onto my phone, followed all the "need to do before can use" hooey and eagerly began to order my TP for pickup when I learned pickup cannot be scheduled for the next 7 days. 😠WTH.... am I suppose to do, if I have to poop in the next 7 days??

thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 08:07:57 (permalink)
I'll toss my 2% in here, I'm 30 I'd say good health no respiratory illness or anything....first I'll say I'm not one for big government I don't trust them at all. I'm not to big on conspiracy theories but I believe there is something going on. Is it something that they arnt telling us or a big ploy? Population control? Look at it just like the the world shut down the all mighty government put everything on lock??? Good time to be a gun owner ......i don't like the looks of things, what happens after you get over it? Can it be contracted twice? Your not gonna stop it you have to let it run it's coarse. Maby we should shut down the presidential election, then we will see this scary thing vanish? I'm betting so .......... are people dying yup they do every day , but I have a better chance of dying walking across the street to check my mail. This has been blown way out of proportion imo

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 789
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 10:57:11 (permalink)
Well you wont feel like its blown out of proportion when and if god forbid someone in your family dies from this.Say your wife or worse your child or grandchildren maybe you parents! Guys this stuff is happinging all over the world.Yes people die every day But why shold they if we take some precautions to try to prevent it. Its a new day we are all gona take big hits from income to work and the like .It is what it is and instead of doubting and criticizing  people who are doing there best maybe a new word should be used PRAYER Im not religious or an alarmist but we need to take this seriously it may not matter one way or another but we must try.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 11:47:09 (permalink)
I'll just keep doing my everyday life , I won't be fear mongered by the media. Do you believe everything you hear ? I sure as hell don't. Lymes disease now that's scary

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 12:03:28 (permalink)
ICE NUT
Well you wont feel like its blown out of proportion when and if god forbid someone in your family dies from this.Say your wife or worse your child or grandchildren maybe you parents! Guys this stuff is happinging all over the world.Yes people die every day But why shold they if we take some precautions to try to prevent it. Its a new day we are all gona take big hits from income to work and the like .It is what it is and instead of doubting and criticizing  people who are doing there best maybe a new word should be used PRAYER Im not religious or an alarmist but we need to take this seriously it may not matter one way or another but we must try.

100% Ice.

We have to take note of what we are seeing around the world.  If this is a conspiracy, it doesn't seem to be a well controlled one.  China took a huge hit.  Russia has cases, we have cases, only Antarctica doesn't.  We have to see what has worked and what has failed in other countries and press forward with what we can.  Italy tried the "business as usual" approach until things were getting bad.  They started isolation way too late.  Luckily our largest sports organizations shut things down before there was any talk of it.  They have saved a lot of lives from their move and put the rest of our country on notice.  Immediately after that, we should have had our national leaders say exactly what Ice Nut said above.  They are yet to state this but at least coming close yesterday.  Likely a few weeks too late.

It is definitely going to "feel" like things are overblown for a week or two here.  Per the infectious disease experts, if it weren't, then we didn't do it soon enough.  If you were paying attention to the main stream media since January, you shouldn't be shocked at all by this.  I have been avoiding crowds and am ready to spend two weeks in my house if need be.  Even the past few weeks, I have only went into stores at off hours and stocked up a bit, PRIOR to the toilet paper and disinfectant shortage!  I didn't hoard any, but have enough to last about 2 weeks.  They have been saying "be prepared, but don't panic" for at least a month.  Some felt that was hysteria, others called it common sense.  I wish that I would have followed my gut and pulled all of my investments then too...  Which in hindsight makes perfect sense and why I am not a financial adviser!  I have no doubt, whoever is President next, the market and economy will recover.  Although, it will be hard, without room for tax cuts or lower interest rates.  But that is a conversation for after.

Let's have faith that this will take a warm climate pause through the summer.  Hopefully have a good bit of the population's immunity built up.  Even if you were to catch it twice, your body has a way of building anti-bodies.  i.e. Why some get the flu after a flu shot, but not as bad as it would be.

For those not getting a flu vaccine, you may want to consider doing more research.  You could be congesting the line for COVID-19 testing or using up needed supplies that could have been avoided.  Once this vaccine is out for this and approved to be safe, we all need to be getting it.  If vaccine is available, this virus starts spreading again and killing mostly those that didn't vaccinate, our economy will not stop again to react.  At that point, yes, it is like influenza.  Many of those that influenza takes every year, are avoidable deaths.  
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 14:57:29 (permalink)
I don't believe in Bigfoot, Lochness monster, aliens from other planets, Oak Island treasures, people that communicate to the dead, and cult religions ! I do believe what scientists and medical professionals say on every news channel and newspaper of our nation !

If your going hunting or fishing I bet 99% of people look up what the weather will be that day on the media....why trust the media if it's always false ?  

And if something isn't in the media like a major warning or recall everybody cries get a lawyer...they didn't advertise that in the media  !    

This virus has no political intentions ...it's bad news for all of us .

Every hear the old adage ..."better safe than sorry "   I'll go with that . 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 15:00:10 (permalink)
I have just as much of a chance of losing family members from "any" flu virus.

The problem with Covid-19 is the lack of any vaccine which would do the same in any flu epedimic.... aid in stopping the spread. HELLO???

I might also mention of recent times where flu vaccines (seemingly always pre-available from China) did not work for the targeted virus because mysteriously, the virus mutated.

Conspiracy..... 🤔 remains to be seen but awfully suspicious, when a leading doctor (none other from China) familiar with Covid-19 suddenly dies??? Not that any formula for the needed vaccine could have gone with him.

Definitely over hyped by the news media.... The Media-BS virus is spreading faster than Covid-19.

Every Governor in the US is running around on their elbows (closely chased by their bureaucrat leeches) with high fears of political chaos.

annnnnnd now BTDTs babyboomer thought for a day.

Does the "wash your hands" recommendation sound anything like the school house Russian bomb shelter of the 50s & 60s??

It'll work for a minute.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/17 17:47:00

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 15:17:03 (permalink)
Capt I agree but why, with this virus all the hype?

Scientist and other health officials have stated the affects are no different than other flu like viruses?

The only difference being, no vaccine available and arriving ahead of the virus..... both of which come from China.

That, and all the television plus the social media arriving from China showing people dressed in "painters garb" spraying some kind of liquid or using fog machines. BTW... the people walking past those dressed in "painters garb" certainly didn't look panic stricken but rather "what the hell"???

Also, the word from China (which we do not hear nearly as much about) is the virus is on the decline.

Enter..... stage left, ITALY.

Welp... matters not to me, folks can panic if they wish. As for me, I'm following the same precautions as with any "flu season". I'm hiding under my desk.

FTR.... For me, stuff like this creates less respect and distrust with journalist and scientist alike.

Just moi being moi.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/17 17:44:35

ICE NUT
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 789
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 15:31:04 (permalink)
John the difference is this virus has not shown itself before like the other flu viruses have ove the years we have built up immunity to the regular strains But not this one.There is noone who has an immunity to this virus its also more contagious than the others.Yes there will be a vaccine down the pike in 12 to 18 months.Can you fanthom the deaths in that time span.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2002
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 15:42:45 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
I think it's time for a head count.

All those over the age of 60 raise your 🤚

Seriously, does your age alone, increase your concern over this virus?

Folks under 60, but having other health issues, what are your feelings?

Folks with no health issues living with folks having health issues???

Are you concerned more with no vaccine, or lack of testing facilities/kits?

🤚 I am concerned with the lack of vaccine plus the fact it may be next year before any treatment is available.

🤚 My age does not concern me even though I've had my fair share of cold, flu, and a nasty bought with bronchitis in my younger years.

In 1985 I was smoking two packs of "Pall Mall" and chewing a can of snuff per day. Have not touched tobacco since.

I do not, will not, have not, ever taken a flu inoculation. Nor would, even if a vaccination were available for Covid-19.

I believe "shooting up" vaccines for every threat of flu that comes down the line weakens ones own immunity system... but that's just me being me.

Whos next 🤚

I'm over 70 so I guess I should raise two hands 
To be exact 77years, 38 days, plus a few hours.
 I wonder if I'm the senior poster here????

"The cause of freedom is not the cause of race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity."Quote by Anna Julia Cooper.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 16:06:37 (permalink)
If this was as common as the normal China flues then why in the hell are we shutting down half of America ? Why is the CDC so concerned ? Over Hype ?

I guess seeing over 2,000 people die in Italy in a few week window brings on a serious concern for all of us in America .

I'm opposite ...I trust more in medical and scientists reports...they aren't elected or campaigning and basically have nothing to gain !

I'm not in the panic mood but I am taking it serious ...as should all .   

I seen where the girl on TV with Covid-19 was recovering ....she said her's started with a runny nose !
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2020/03/17 16:12:37
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 16:14:45 (permalink)
Ice Nut I agree with the fact that this is a different virus. I also accept that this virus is fast spreading, though I do wonder, how that is, as compared to any flu virus.

What I'm thinking is the virus has been here and spreading much longer then first suspected because it was merely thought to be just another flu.

Then when China started with their "public information" campaign welllllp the rest is history.

Also, there is no real "one flu vaccine" that covers all. Each season brings about a new virus and like years gone by, flu vaccines are and have been available.... except for Covid-19.

Our scientist and doctors highly recommend precautions to prevent contracting or spreading Covid-19. Precautions that are no different than that of those for past flu epedemics.

Flu epedemics of the past always seem to occur at around the same time of the year, giving health officials a general idea of when to expect and, how best to prepare.

Could not it be possible this strain of "Coronavirus" simply arrived much much earlier and caught everybody off guard?

Regardless of the needed response, education, treatment, etc. The news media is a virus that thrives on hype and panic.

I'll guarantee you, had the media not hyped this virus(and is not yet finished) NBA would be playing basketball right now.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/17 16:19:42

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 16:17:30 (permalink)
72 with  respiratory issues- just got over a real great bout of bronchitis that lasted a few weeks- am taking this new thing VERY seriously.
Not one to generally get all hyped about things and took a lot of whats happening with our closures and restrictions here in CT with a big grain of salt - till today.'
Went out with wifey and stocked up on a months worth of groceries.
Am predicting a real serious lockdown here  shortly  that will last for weeks, they say its about the only way to inhibit person to person transmission in this populated area and with issues and age am in the danger zone.
Lots of venison in the freezer and trout opens soon -along with store bought will be fine --KEEP AWAY--lol.
Seeing a  difference with the opinions of the 'younger' and older crowd here- can almost predict the age by the posts.

post edited by r3g3 - 2020/03/17 16:18:58
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2020/03/17 16:22:40 (permalink)
Lates recommendation due to the virus.....

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 45
Jump to: