Helpful ReplyHot!Coronavirus opinions

Page: << < ..101102103104105.. > >> Showing page 102 of 112
Author
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 386
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/08 14:33:36 (permalink)
iceland has 93% of its adult population vaccinated and is in the midst of an outbreak that would be the equivalent of 100K new cases per day for the u.s.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

their chief epidemiologist said today that natural infection is the only way through this to herd immunity while doing their best to protect the most vulnerable.

Attachment(s)

DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 433
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/08 15:17:23 (permalink)
snagr
r3g3
Those are the Rep places they tell you about in the lib press- the inner cities have been found to be very vaccine negative.
Its a much bigger picture than the Rep States that DC likes to trash for political reasons.
This is why so much of the info we get is such BS.

as a whole, black and latino people in the u.s. have around a 30% adult vaccination rate. cdc compiles demographic data on vaccination on their website.

many of the southern red states where vax rates are low have that we keep hearing about have significant portions of their populations that are black and latino. i’m sure there are some white republicans that account for lower vax rates as well.

one of biden’s covid advisors michael osterholm was on anderson cooper last week saying once again that masks offer almost no protection to anybody. my guess is that it was a move to encourage those who aren’t vaxxed but believe masks work to get vaxxed instead.

Do you have a link to him saying this information on Anderson Cooper? 
I can't seem to find this information online, but have been able to find him saying that Cloth Masks are ineffective in preventing and spreading covid infection, but N95 respirators are:
https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1422233651689967627

This wasn't Anderson Cooper though, don't know this guys name but it's not him. 
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/08 15:59:19 (permalink)
DeadGator401
snagr
r3g3
Those are the Rep places they tell you about in the lib press- the inner cities have been found to be very vaccine negative.
Its a much bigger picture than the Rep States that DC likes to trash for political reasons.
This is why so much of the info we get is such BS.

as a whole, black and latino people in the u.s. have around a 30% adult vaccination rate. cdc compiles demographic data on vaccination on their website.

many of the southern red states where vax rates are low have that we keep hearing about have significant portions of their populations that are black and latino. i’m sure there are some white republicans that account for lower vax rates as well.

one of biden’s covid advisors michael osterholm was on anderson cooper last week saying once again that masks offer almost no protection to anybody. my guess is that it was a move to encourage those who aren’t vaxxed but believe masks work to get vaxxed instead.

Do you have a link to him saying this information on Anderson Cooper? 
I can't seem to find this information online, but have been able to find him saying that Cloth Masks are ineffective in preventing and spreading covid infection, but N95 respirators are:
https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1422233651689967627

This wasn't Anderson Cooper though, don't know this guys name but it's not him. 

that’s the one.

there were two states in germany (forget which ones at the moment) that mandated n95’s in public. guess how that went.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8453
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/08 16:18:28 (permalink)
Dick Farrel
drawde
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/08 16:38:49 (permalink)
You can search every medical journal in the world and will not find one Randomized Controlled Study that says masks stop the flu, let alone covid.  And these studies are with N95 Mask.  Believe what you want, I believe the "actural" science, not some government "expert".  
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1260
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/08 20:16:45 (permalink)
snagr
iceland has 93% of its adult population vaccinated and is in the midst of an outbreak that would be the equivalent of 100K new cases per day for the u.s.

their chief epidemiologist said today that natural infection is the only way through this to herd immunity while doing their best to protect the most vulnerable.

This is a gross mis characterization of what’s happening in Iceland.

Iceland has a population of 350,000 and they have a rolling day average of 125 cases per day.

The US has a population of 328 million and has a rolling average of 108,000 per day.

You can’t make any meaningful extrapolation from a sample size as small as Iceland and compare it to a country as large and diverse as the US. A localized cluster of just 20 or 30 cases in a sample size that small will change the calculation drastically. In a week, Iceland’s average could be half of what it is today, but that would only be a difference of 60 actual cases.

I can’t find any source for their chief epidemiologist say anything about natural infection. So if you can’t cite a source for that, I’m going to assume it’s straight BS.

However, plenty of folks are making false and deliberately misleading claims about the vaccine and what’s happening Iceland. Some of them are debunked here:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N2P918F
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/08 21:17:34 (permalink)
I tried looking that up too. Every article that I found had Iceland praising the vaccine for 1 death this year and barely any severe cases… I guess my Google is on the mass media payroll and keeping the info from me?
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/08 22:57:06 (permalink)
drawde
You can search every medical journal in the world and will not find one Randomized Controlled Study that says masks stop the flu, let alone covid.  And these studies are with N95 Mask.  Believe what you want, I believe the "actural" science, not some government "expert".  

If this is intentional - well done. I believe it's not, which makes it that much funnier.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3729
drawde
New Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/09 08:06:48 (permalink)
DeadGator401
drawde

If this is intentional - well done. I believe it's not, which makes it that much funnier.

Prove me wrong.  I've have been searching for a year and all studies only show a statistical meaningless difference.  Look up the Foot Hood Ranger story on masks.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/09 08:44:52 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
https://www.icelandreview.com/society/covid-19-in-iceland-vaccination-has-not-led-to-herd-immunity-says-chief-epidemiologist/

Seems to be the same info that I have found too.  Except this article he is advocating for vaccinating children as well as adults in Iceland.  Which is the first that I have read.  In a country that has one of the highest vaccination rates and rather few people unvaccinated, they are still 2.4 times more likely to be hospitalized if unvaccinated according to this article.  Just imagine if there were more unvaccinated hosts in Iceland for this virus to infect.  I imagine that 2.4 number would be much higher.

The ability of this virus to mutate into different strains is definitely worrisome and can see why epidemiologists were sounding the alarm months ago about delta and the likelihood of other strains down the road.  Whether natural or vaccination immunity, it still seems to be able to survive in a host for a while giving it time to mutate.  Eventually, it very well could mutate to avoid the current antibodies that both natural and vaccination immunity are calling on to at least slow/stop severe infection.  I tend to agree with rg3g that there will be an annual shot that is targeted at whatever strain they think will be prevalent.  Unfortunately, there is going to be a region in the world that is going to be hit like Italy, Spain, NYC, India, etc. before scientists are able to pinpoint what antibody is fighting it the best and how to trick the body into releasing it.

I rarely hear anyone talking this point, possibly since it is insensitive?  Mother Nature (God) has always had ways to thin the population when things are imbalanced.  We are definitely close if not beyond the point of overpopulation on this rock.  This virus or other will eventually balance things, regardless of how much we fight it.  Fortunately for us, we live in one of the most advanced countries in the world and able to provide some sort of defense.  Many countries without our scientific resources are likely going to have their populations thinned pretty well by the time this is over.  If it ever ends.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/09 10:00:28 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
https://www.icelandreview.com/society/covid-19-in-iceland-vaccination-has-not-led-to-herd-immunity-says-chief-epidemiologist/

He said that Iceland has not reached herd immunity because there are too many breakthrough delta variant infections of vaccinated individuals. To interpret that as “natural infection is the only way to herd immunity” is straight up BS.

He also said:
-Infections are likely a result of group events like clubbing in Reykjavik
-there is evidence the vaccine is preventing serious illness; just over 1% are currently hospitalized from this wave, in previous waves it was 4-5%, and the current rate for unvaccinated individuals is 2.4%, the 2 current ICU cases are unvaccinated.
-he expressed concerns about the impact on healthcare workers and said that they should be trying to reduce infection rates in order to reduce the strain on the healthcare system.

So if you are trying to twist his words around and use them as some kind of justification for not getting a vaccine, or not wearing a mask, or not take precautions to reduce the spread, then it is a gross distortion of what he said. His position is clearly the opposite.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/09 11:15:20 (permalink)
drawde

Why do you need a randomized controlled study? Randomized controlled studies aren’t the only kind of acceptable proof of sound science. Do you know of any randomized controlled studies that prove the existence of gravity?
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/09 11:26:01 (permalink)
drawde
DeadGator401
drawde

Prove me wrong.  I've have been searching for a year and all studies only show a statistical meaningless difference.  Look up the Foot Hood Ranger story on masks.

If all you have is one single study that suggests that masks are ineffective, you are gonna have to do a little better.

This article links to 49 different studies (many of which are peer reviewed) that show effectiveness of masking:

https://www.kxan.com/news...t-explain-why-they-do/

So if you want to go through all 49 of those studies and explain the flaws in their methodology, be my guest.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/09 11:39:22 (permalink)
drawde
DeadGator401
drawde

To clarify, I was specifically laughing at how you misspelled "Actual" when you took the time to put it in quotations. That's comedic gold Jerry!

I'm also not going to google "Foot Hood Ranger" as that may bring up some weird things. 
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/09 11:44:02 (permalink)
MyWar
eyesandgillz

He said that Iceland has not reached herd immunity because there are too many breakthrough delta variant infections of vaccinated individuals. To interpret that as “natural infection is the only way to herd immunity” is straight up BS.

He also said:
-there is evidence the vaccine is preventing serious illness; just over 1% are currently hospitalized from this wave, in previous waves it was 4-5%, and the current rate for unvaccinated individuals is 2.4%, the 2 current ICU cases are unvaccinated.
-he expressed concerns about the impact on healthcare workers and said that they should be trying to reduce infection rates in order to reduce the strain on the healthcare system.

So if you are trying to twist his words around and use them as some kind of justification for not getting a vaccine, or not wearing a mask, or not take precautions to reduce the spread, then it is a gross distortion of what he said. His position is clearly the opposite.

Aren't you the cutesy liberal hack, trying to type words for me... 
it was just a link to an article, nothing less, nothing more....but of course the liberal pansy thought police are out in full force.....

Anyways, here's to hoping Muller's Ratchet dials down the virus significantly and turns it into an endemic common cold.....biggest wildcard with that is with its man made nature, who knows where these mutations really are going.  

The beach was grand!

MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/09 11:48:35 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
MyWar
eyesandgillz

He also said:

it was just a link to an article, nothing less, nothing more....but of course the liberal pansy thought police are out in full force.....

Lol. Bet you didn’t even bother to read that link before you posted it. Amiright?
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/09 11:54:44 (permalink)
eyesandgillz

Anyways, here's to hoping Muller's Ratchet dials down the virus significantly and turns it into an endemic common cold.....biggest wildcard with that is with its man made nature, who knows where these mutations really are going.  

The beach was grand!

That was the talk when they first mentioned mutations last year.  Usually viruses will mutate to survive and not kill the host.  Not sure about the man made nature comment.  It is a virus, I don't think man is capable of making viruses.  Modifying them and replicating them, sure.  We will end up figuring out if this is one that escaped a lab or came from the completely unsanitary ways of Chinese agriculture.  Both are as equally concerning of the next pandemic and both should be investigated and dealt with on a global response.

Did you take your fishing gear?  It looked like a lot of rain last week along the NC coast, hopefully it was sporadic enough to still enjoy.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/10 09:32:51 (permalink)
MyWar
eyesandgillz
MyWar
eyesandgillz

He also said:

Lol. Bet you didn’t even bother to read that link before you posted it. Amiright?

Read the entire article, dip$hit.....again, you are nothing more, nothing less than an ****hat....

Pork...I took a couple small rods for inshore, creek fishing.  Plans were to rent a kayak for the week and try all the backwaters.  The weather forecast was horrible so that plan got nixed as I didn't want to spend $150 for the rental and not be able to use it much.  As it turns out, as usual, the weather was better than expected and we got out on the beach every day...not full days on some of the days, but enough...and I could have rented it and made use of it.  Pier fishing was dead...we walked out there a couple times and only a few whiting/sea mullet and pinfish (bait), hitting the deck.  Water sure was pretty there though.  
I did cast around some artificials in the backwater by the house near some activity (small shrimp and mullet getting chased) but had no takers and after 45 min. standing in much up to my ankles, I gave up.  Think I could have gotten into some reds if I had the kayak though.  We could see some tailing and them busting bait from the 3rd story balcony in a the creek out back on high tide.  Had an osprey nest right out back and 3-4 of them flying around all day...nice to wake up to that sipping coffee every morning.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/10 10:37:18 (permalink)
eyesandgillz

Pork...I took a couple small rods for inshore, creek fishing.  Plans were to rent a kayak for the week and try all the backwaters.  The weather forecast was horrible so that plan got nixed as I didn't want to spend $150 for the rental and not be able to use it much.  As it turns out, as usual, the weather was better than expected and we got out on the beach every day...not full days on some of the days, but enough...and I could have rented it and made use of it.  Pier fishing was dead...we walked out there a couple times and only a few whiting/sea mullet and pinfish (bait), hitting the deck.  Water sure was pretty there though.  
I did cast around some artificials in the backwater by the house near some activity (small shrimp and mullet getting chased) but had no takers and after 45 min. standing in much up to my ankles, I gave up.  Think I could have gotten into some reds if I had the kayak though.  We could see some tailing and them busting bait from the 3rd story balcony in a the creek out back on high tide.  Had an osprey nest right out back and 3-4 of them flying around all day...nice to wake up to that sipping coffee every morning.

Good to hear that you were able to get ample beach and other time in.  I was watching the radar a few times after reading some reports of Avon being under water for a day or two.  It seemed to kind of stall.  Some towns got drenched, while others 20-30 miles away had a few passing showers.  Luck of the draw.  About 1/3 of the vacations that I go on have some sort of weather issues for 1/2 of the time there.  High winds are just as bad as storms, IMO.  Especially if windy enough to kick up the sand.  No fun sitting on a beach getting sand blasted.

Renting a kayak is such a tricky proposition at the beach.  $150 for a week, for a kayak that you can buy similar or just as usable for $200 and own really gets me.  For me, it has to be just about perfect conditions for kayaking to get over that mental hurdle!  I was debating to take my inflatable this past year, but didn't.  I won't put my hard yak on my car for a 20+ hour round trip.  Already a PIA, without having a sail on the top.  Having a condo this year, there was no place to store it while not using and a pain to access the back side for us.  A few days the surf would have allowed to use for just paddling, but I'm not fishing the front side from an inflatable.  Back side, I'd plan more for it to get me to islands to wade and fish from, rather than fishing from the kayak.  So, renting is the best way, but if the conditions only allow for 2-3 days, is it really worth $150?

Did they mention anything about the early morning or evenings on the pier?  If water was pretty, I imagine some blues and macks around for the dusk and dawn windows.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2836
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/10 11:58:43 (permalink)
Glad someone is fishing---------
drawde
New Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/11 08:28:07 (permalink)
MyWar
drawde

Why do you need a randomized controlled study? Randomized controlled studies aren’t the only kind of acceptable proof of sound science. Do you know of any randomized controlled studies that prove the existence of gravity?

It is how the covid vaccines were tested and how all drugs are tested. This 
"proves" they are safe and effective.  

'

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/11 09:31:08 (permalink)
Here is one from 2008.  Ironic that they note their effectiveness is tied to compliance...  Did they know in 2008 that we would wear them as chin diapers?  

https://www.ijidonline.co...12(08)01008-4/fulltext
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/16 14:15:00 (permalink)
japan has 97% mask compliance and this is what's happening there with covid and rsv.  

Attachment(s)

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/18 22:18:09 (permalink)
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/19 08:36:18 (permalink)
Sounds promising.  Hopefully this is the one!
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/19 15:20:56 (permalink)
The name of that drug is hilarious
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/19 16:55:01 (permalink)
I am not even sure why we have a COVID topic anymore.  The cure was found last year, no?  Pandemic was officially over in November, no?

Glad this guy is advocating for a drug with a proven track record.  Granted, it isn't the cheap generic we are all hoping for.  But it is proven to be effective.  Only side effect is losing...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/regeneron-regn-antibody-cocktail-covid-155503953.html

DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/23 23:18:08 (permalink)
Pfizer Vaccine full approved by FDA. Fantastic news! 16 years old and up.

Hopefully Moderna, JnJ and others will follow suit soon. It's great news for employers and vaccines mandates, and I bet we start to see some announce it this week, followed by the floodgates opening shortly after. More Colleges and other Secondary schools will also likely be empowered to announce mandates as well. 

snagr
Expert Angler
Re: Coronavirus opinions 2021/08/24 00:11:45 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Pfizer Vaccine full approved by FDA. Fantastic news! 16 years old and up.

Hopefully Moderna, JnJ and others will follow suit soon. It's great news for employers and vaccines mandates, and I bet we start to see some announce it this week, followed by the floodgates opening shortly after. More Colleges and other Secondary schools will also likely be empowered to announce mandates as well. 

Why do you think a vaccine that makes little to no difference in getting and transmitting Covid should be mandatory?

CDC director Rachel Walensky admitted as much last week. “Even though our vaccines are currently working well to prevent hospitalizations, we are seeing concerning evidence of waning vaccine effectiveness over time and against the delta variant.”

New study from CDC also confirms. It’s why masks are recommended for the vaxxed now and Biden admin recommended boosters at 8 months his week. Transparent data from other countries confirm.

Secondary schools? Every million doses in teens will kill 3 and save 1. CDC data confirms. Would you believe it if I shared it again or will you just keep pretending it doesn’t exist? Kids still at lesser risk from Rona than other viral respiratory diseases.

Phase 3 of clinical trial doesn’t end till May 2023 and the control arm of the study was shot to hell when vax was given to them.

But yippee I guess because science!
post edited by snagr - 2021/08/24 00:46:29
Page: << < ..101102103104105.. > >> Showing page 102 of 112
Jump to: