Helpful ReplySunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee...

Author
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
  • Reward points: 0
2019/10/22 07:19:42 (permalink)

Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee...

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/2019/10/21/Pennsylvania-Sunday-hunting-Game-Commission-Farm-Bureau/stories/201910210123

BS though that they tacked on an ammendment that says you need to carry written permission to hunt specifically on those 3 Sundays from the landowner.  Heck, I followed up to ask the one landowner I got permission to hunt from last year, early this fall, to get permission again for this year and he was irritated I bothered him again.  Said "I already said yes, just hunt." 

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 08:23:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BeenThereDoneThat. 2019/10/22 11:15:33
From the same article:

"It also would create a new crime, trespassing while hunting, which could be enforced by Game Commission personnel as well as police. Maximum second offense penalties could include prison time and revocation of hunting privileges."

This is a good step, but I am pretty sure the PGC is still way understaffed with Wardens...and I doubt PSP is going to allocate enough troopers during rifle season, when most trespassing takes place.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 08:27:40 (permalink)
I oppose this bill. While I fully support Sunday hunting, I support a full transfer of regulatory control of Sunday hunting to the PGC. This bill is just more legislative meddling where elected officials are dictating to a game agency when hunters should hunt and for what species. 

The Sunday hunting movement would have been much better off if supporters of a full transfer and the sporting orgs opposed this bill and demanded a clean bill that transfers full authority. I suspect that if this bill passes, it will be a long time before the discussion resumes. 

Agreed on the bogus written permission amendment. If written permission was required in this state for all hunting, that would be fine. Adding it just for these potential Sundays is just more politically meddling and caving to the Farm Bureau to suppress participation. 

My rifle is a black rifle
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 11:01:25 (permalink)
That written permission is bs like said entire season ok but for 3 days, I hunt dozens of people's property deer waterfowl rabbits squirrels Turkey's chances are idk where I'm hunting untill that day , ok lemme just pull out my binder with 50 permission slips in it o they must of gotten wet idk it's in there 👎

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 11:29:18 (permalink)
dpms
I oppose this bill. While I fully support Sunday hunting, I support a full transfer of regulatory control of Sunday hunting to the PGC. This bill is just more legislative meddling where elected officials are dictating to a game agency when hunters should hunt and for what species. 

The Sunday hunting movement would have been much better off if supporters of a full transfer and the sporting orgs opposed this bill and demanded a clean bill that transfers full authority. I suspect that if this bill passes, it will be a long time before the discussion resumes. 

Agreed on the bogus written permission amendment. If written permission was required in this state for all hunting, that would be fine. Adding it just for these potential Sundays is just more politically meddling and caving to the Farm Bureau to suppress participation. 

There in lays the problem.  

We supporters of the very bureau you appear to dislike, know giving some people an inch and they will demand a mile.

Younz just need be happy younz are getting younz foot in the door for Sunday hunting.

Ever think of paying the land owner?  I think it's called a 'hunting lease' (legal last I knew) then younz could sign permission slips for everyone to hunt that land.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 12:02:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bingsbaits 2019/11/19 16:48:51
Hoping every member of the PFB that continues to support a ban on Sunday hunting continues to see significant crop losses due to wildlife.  They should NOT get to dictate what happens on PA public ground or private ground they do not own.  

Post every tree on your entire border if you so choose and lock it down for any/all access but other landowners should have the choice to open it up if they want and ALL hunters should have access to ALL public land on Sundays.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 12:14:40 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat. 
We supporters of the very bureau you appear to dislike, know giving some people an inch and they will demand a mile.

I oppose the inch gained. I support game agencies regulating hunting in this country, not politicians as you do. In Pa, even if this bill passes, we still have politicians regulating Sunday hunting which is why I oppose it. 

Younz just need be happy younz are getting younz foot in the door for Sunday hunting.

Nope. I will not be happy with politicians telling game agencies what can be hunted and when it can be hunted. Sorry. 

This bill is a win for the anti Sunday hunters. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 12:16:51 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Hoping every member of the PFB that continues to support a ban on Sunday hunting continues to see significant crop losses due to wildlife.  They should NOT get to dictate what happens on PA public ground or private ground they do not own.  

Post every tree on your entire border if you so choose and lock it down for any/all access but other landowners should have the choice to open it up if they want and ALL hunters should have access to ALL public land on Sundays.

Personally, the PGC should quit working with them. Every time the PFB whines to the PGC about crop losses, the PGC provides more tools for them to utilize. Its time to put them on the "ignore" list. Especially when the PFB has trashed hunters in the press as unsafe and ignorant of hunting laws and regs. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 13:55:15 (permalink)
dpms
BeenThereDoneThat. 

I oppose the inch gained. I support game agencies regulating hunting in this country, not politicians as you do. In Pa, even if this bill passes, we still have politicians regulating Sunday hunting which is why I oppose it. 

Nope. I will not be happy with politicians telling game agencies what can be hunted and when it can be hunted. Sorry. 

This bill is a win for the anti Sunday hunters. 

Thank goodness there is control over the PGC and must remain so for future "hunters" if nothing else.

For the past decade and a half, the PGC has exhibited more often then not, they are about themselves and only about themselves.

Do you think the present day PGC gives a hoot about the future of "hunting" in PA?

From what I'm seeing and reading of your post, you care only about Gene and making PA into..... "they do it in other states".

Easy enough fix Gene, you don't like the way hunting is controlled in PA because it"s not done the same as in other states..... welllll younz get my driftb I think.

As for me, I know it's a losing battle but what I can do to keep what little remains of "hunting" in PA. I'm gonna do.

So instead of buying anything hunting related (I get my combo/license free but never applied for it) I'm joining or paying dues to memberships in land management bureaus plus campaigning for the politicians I want to control the PGC.

As for crop damage, if that were a big deal, the PGC should be pushing "racoon hunting". Geez, I see corn laying in the woods all along fields. Do deer carry their food off and eat it sitting in trees?

You guys truely think the PGC does what they do because of "crop damage"?

If crop damage was such a big issue the farm bureau would have laws mandated in favor of farmers killing off any animal found to be eating/destroying their crops.

I'll mention again, the grain farmers once located in the Carlton Area.

............................... END RANT ..........................

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 14:33:19 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thank goodness there is control over the PGC and must remain so for future "hunters" if nothing else.

They already have an always will have control of every state agency, including the PGC. Its called political oversight. Problem is you want to take that established oversight a step further by wanting politicians setting seasons, bag limits, and regulations. Who in their right mind wants politicians doing that in the hunting world? BeenThere does...........

Did you see where California legislature banned trapping and the sale of fur? If they had direct political control like you want our legislature to have they wouldn't have even needed to pass legislation to make it happen. 

From what I'm seeing and reading of your post, you care only about Gene and making PA into..... "they do it in other states".

Nope. I care about the future of the sport. Much of what I support and work to help make happen are things that I would participate little in. 

Easy enough fix Gene, you don't like the way hunting is controlled in PA because it"s not done the same as in other states..... welllll younz get my driftb I think.

You keep erroneously bringing up other states. I bring up other states if their data supports a certain position I support. Some other states do things better and some worse than Pa. I have never said, nor I have implied, that other states do everything better than Pa or that our laws and regulations should mirror them. 

As for crop damage, if that were a big deal, the PGC should be pushing "racoon hunting". Geez, I see corn laying in the woods all along fields. Do deer carry their food off and eat it sitting in trees?

They do. Our furbearer hunting and trapping regs are rather liberal. 

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/22 14:53:34 (permalink)
If you want to see legislative overreach with regard to hunting, look no further than the Cecil Act which just made its way out of committee heading for a full house vote.

It is politicians, many of who have never hunted in their life, putting forth legislation on the import of trophies into the US which will circumvent and more than likely ruin the decades long conservation efforts in Africa because those in DC via NYC, LA, and Chicago know better.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/23 07:57:24 (permalink)
DarDys
If you want to see legislative overreach with regard to hunting, look no further than the Cecil Act which just made its way out of committee heading for a full house vote.

It is politicians, many of who have never hunted in their life, putting forth legislation on the import of trophies into the US which will circumvent and more than likely ruin the decades long conservation efforts in Africa because those in DC via NYC, LA, and Chicago know better.

Yep. 

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/23 09:11:58 (permalink)
When I went to import my red Lechwe mount, I found out it required CITES permit — which I had never heard about before.

It turns out that Lechwe are considered endangered species, somewhere in the world, but not where I was hunting in South Africa (heck, I saw more Lechwe in the first two days of hunting there than I saw deer here in PA during archery and gun season combined).

Because if this designation, permits were required from the government of the exporting country and from US fish and wildlife.

Because if the number of record book entry animals we took on that trip, we joined SCI because they were offering one free record book entry for each year of paid membership. I had never looked at SCI before, but am thrilled that I did.

The main reason is that they send out a monthly newsletter that outlines many things, but has a primary focus on what governments are doing, what anti hunters are doing, and the cooperation between the two.

At the last CITES conference, there were more anti hunting NGO’s represented than any other group. As a result, they convinced the CITES board to move giraffes into the CITES permit requirement appendix.

Giraffe are in no way endangered, but made the news because of the black giraffe featured in recent news. The anti hunting NGO’s were able to convince enough CITES member countries (one county, one vote), most of which do not have giraffe hunting at all, to vote yes on the move. (Full disclosure, I have never hunted giraffe nor will I, but that is a personal choice.)

But this action goes to show how anti hunting groups can emotionally influence non hunting government officials to vote against solid, working hunting and conservation policies.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/23 12:41:42 (permalink)
Kinda like special interest groups and lobbyist getting hunting regs changed, to satisfy their addictions, as has happened in PA. the past 15 years?

Damdest excuses like, " data says, they do it that way in other states" seem to carry such weight in reinforcing the agenda of these folks too.

Yep DarDys I hear what you're saying.

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/23 13:22:02 (permalink)
Data supported arguments are quite different than emotion based arguments. One has a foundation in fact, if based on solid research methods, while the other has a foundation in the heart.

To go back to the giraffe example, the reason any of it came about was because a hunter posted a photo of herself with her trophy giraffe. Anti hunters pounced in the fact that the giraffe was black in color and stated that black giraffe were “rare,” which they are.

But they are not rare because they are black, like a black rhino vs. a white rhino, they are rare because they are old and giraffe turn darker the older they get.

As a matter of fact, this particular giraffe was 18 years old, which meant it was well past breeding age, so it no longer, from a conservation point of view, was beneficial to the health of the giraffe herd it was a part of. Further, while it was older, it was not weak, and actually killed 4 younger breeding age bulls. This was detrimental to the herd and the primary reason it was hunted and removed.

But the anti hunters didn’t care about that, just that they could pluck the emotional heartstrings if the non hunting public using the “rare” designation without context. And it worked.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/23 14:01:56 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Damdest excuses like, " data says, they do it that way in other states" seem to carry such weight in reinforcing the agenda of these folks too.

Excuses or sound research? When specific data or reference material can be presented to support an angle, that is a good thing and it usually carries more weight than anecdotal findings. As it should.
post edited by dpms - 2019/10/23 15:32:33

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/10/31 07:49:43 (permalink)
SB147 saw final passage in the House yesterday. Since amendments were made in the House, it has to go back to the Senate for a final vote. Senate is out of session for a few weeks now. 

bubbaman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 239
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/11/03 14:47:07 (permalink)
the whole 3 day sunday hunting is total BS, the game commish needs to stop caving in and give hunters something that is needed and wanted with unlimited sunday hunting, its the typical hey look at what we are doing for you aren't we great ! BUT there is a hitch we are caving to a specialty group, as usual. you can hunt  crows and cyote on sunday year round , you are supposed to have verbal permission to hunt on any private land already, there is no reason to not allow sunday hunting year round especially on public land, it would be nice to hunt waterfowl on sunday like our surrounding states.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/11/04 07:44:53 (permalink)
bubbaman
the whole 3 day sunday hunting is total BS, the game commish needs to stop caving in and give hunters something that is needed and wanted with unlimited sunday hunting, its the typical hey look at what we are doing for you aren't we great !

The PGC does not control Sunday hunting. Until control is given to them by the legislature, their hands are tied. The PGC is on record many times as saying they fully support Sunday hunting and would like the state legislature to relinquish control of it to them.

Many hunters still believe that the PGC controls it, but they don't. It remains illegal in this state by law with the few exceptions that are currently in place. 

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/11/18 19:01:22 (permalink)
Passed the Senate this evening. On towards to the Governor for his signature. 

I opposed this bill as I support a transfer of all regulatory authority to the PGC. This bill still legislatively dictates where the PGC must implement SH for the most part. 

So, if the Governor signs the bill, the PGC has to decide this spring which Sunday in rifle deer, which Sunday in archery, and which Sunday anywhere else to implement it. 

mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/11/18 21:00:18 (permalink)
I have written to several legislators opposing this bill because I don't like the idea of Game Wardens enforcing trespass laws. There are enough law enforcement people already charged to do that. I believe that we don't have enough people to enforce game laws the way it is.Although I believe that land owners have the right to post their property against hunting I don't think that hunter dollars should be used to keep hunters out.  sam
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/11/18 22:38:38 (permalink)
How long till ya think the PGC comes up with a Sunday Hunting Stamp?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/11/18 23:07:21 (permalink)
rsquared

🤔 they wouldn't.... would they.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/11/18 23:11:31

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/11/19 12:27:30 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
rsquared

🤔 they wouldn't.... would they.

They don't call it Taxylvania for nuthin!  If there's a tax or fee to be levied on something, somebody in this state will find a way to make it happen.  
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Sunday hunting passes in house game and fish committee... 2019/11/19 14:57:24 (permalink)
I wonder how many local yokels will go out on Sunday this year, LOL.

I know PGC been trying to get the message out about this new law not taking effect until 2020 license year, but there will still be a guy or two...
Jump to: