Pop Up Camper canvas repair

Author
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
  • Reward points: 0
2019/09/04 11:27:05 (permalink)

Pop Up Camper canvas repair

I have a pop up camper and need to patch a tear in the canvas.  I have tried tape that was supposed to be good but it did not hold.  Anyway,  does any one know of a good tape or something to repair the canvas on my camper?  I googled it and someone said try "tear aid tape".   Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Replacing all the canvas is not an option.  Would cost more than the camper is worth.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.

10 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8755
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/04 11:41:50 (permalink)
    Panfisher I would look into "iron on patches" made for boat cover repairs.

Also, I have used "iron on" patches I bought at Walmart. The only problem I had was the darned color bleached out from the sun.

Pale gray does not look good on Forest Green. lol

Some food for thought when patching be it inner tubes or boat covers. Cut the corners round before applying the patch. This will help prevent any patch from lifting at the corner.

🤔 I guess because cutting it round it's no longer a corner..... I dunno🙄

Also, if you can, search Youtube for "Canvas Repair" bunches of how to's can be found there.

If ya can't access Youtube, give a holler and I'll post a link.

Good luck.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/09/04 12:12:57

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/04 13:23:45 (permalink)
    Found this stuff at Walmart. Says it's for canvas repair. $12.97. This stuff is in the camping isle

Iron on patches available in fabrics too.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2000
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/04 19:42:37 (permalink)
    There are a few Amish in my area that do boat covers. We went to them once to get a bimini top rip repaired. I would do it again.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/04 21:25:58 (permalink)
    Ripn I did the same. Figured it would look better to have the faded iron on patches removed from my boat cover (stupid mice) and replaced with color matching sewn patches plus the plastc vent had succumbed to sitting in sunlight and heat over the years so I had repairs by an Amish canvas shop.

I didn't go in blind, I asked to see other work by the shop before giving the go ahead.

Good GRIEF😵 wish I had the old vent and iron on patches back.

Pictures upon request cause it did happen... stupid me.😞
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/09/04 21:27:38

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/05 10:13:17 (permalink)
    Is awning same as canvas on camper?  I guess.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6768
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/05 10:35:18 (permalink)
    I don't have a good idea of what to use, but one to probably stay away from, at least for this.  I bought Gear Aid "Tenacious Tape" for my boat cover, but didn't work at all for me.  It might be good for other applications or temporary fix.  Maybe if you are able to get your canvas completely clean.  My cover was pretty old and unable to clean it enough for it to work.

Aquaseal seems to be a favorite for waders.  Not sure if it would work for canvas?  You can use Flex Seal, then your pop up can double as a fishing boat! 

I just looked it up, Aquaseal says that it works on canvas.  Just to note, the FD is clear.  The Aquaseal neoprene is black.  So, imagine you'd want the FD to look neater.  Good to have if you have waders.  From years of reading wader repair discussion on here and other, that product seems to work well.  If it works for submerging waders and the rubbing of hiking, I'd imagine it would handle a pop up.  BTW - Gear Aid that makes the tape that I noted, is the same that makes Aquaseal.  So, it may work for what you are doing, if you are able to clean the canvas really well?  The reviews on it were good.
    post edited by Porktown - 2019/09/05 14:40:56
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2000
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/05 11:23:10 (permalink)
    haha! Flex Seal. I used it on a minnow bucket and it worked.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/05 13:05:25 (permalink)
    Pan I do believe the info on the back of the awning tape package list canvas.

Myself, I'd put my money on an iron-on patch made for boat cover repairs. If you can not remove the canvas from the pop-up, place a hand towel (or similar) on a piece of plywood and have a helper hold the backerboard in place as you iron the patch in place. If the tear is on a curved area of canvas use a larger towel folded or rolled to fit the shape and follow the contour slowly with an iron, assuring the patch adheres as you go.

For iron-on patches made for clothing you can cover the first patch with a larger patch then treat the area with water proofing silicone.

If the situation permits put a patch on the inside too. Just remember the inside patch could be affected when installing the outside patch so watch the heat application.

It is important to clean the area first and I've had good results using Fantastic then letting it throughly dry.

Applying patches with rounded corners is recommended.

For what it's worth here is an ad taken from Menards.

"The Camco RV Awning Repair Tape is a permanent repair for rips and punctures on your RV awning. Use it for RV, boat sails, canvas, tents, rain wear, backpacks, popup campers and more. It has an aggressive adhesive and resists tearing in any direction. The roll is 3" wide by 15' long.~ Menards

Yep.... sez boat sails and pop-ups too😁
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/09/05 19:50:01

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/08 22:28:37 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pan I do believe the info on the back of the awning tape package list canvas.

"The Camco RV Awning Repair Tape is a permanent repair for rips and punctures on your RV awning. Use it for RV, boat sails, canvas, tents, rain wear, backpacks, popup campers and more. It has an aggressive adhesive and resists tearing in any direction. The roll is 3" wide by 15' long.~ Menards

Yep.... sez boat sails and pop-ups too😁

I ordered this tape.  Did not get it yet.  Can't clean canvas.  It would tear more.  Will see how it works.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Pop Up Camper canvas repair 2019/09/08 23:07:01 (permalink)
    Good luck, I hope it works for you.

Jump to: