Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6906
  • Reward points: 0
2019/08/09 20:45:42 (permalink)

Stillers 2019 N’at

James Washington is looking like the #2 receiver they need this year. Devin Bush seems to be everywhere. Hard to really tell much against 2nd and 3rd string guys. But some positives so far. Some negatives for sure too.

89 Replies Related Threads

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1868
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/08/10 09:50:56 (permalink)
    only preseason but I enjoy watching the games. I thought both Dobbs and Rudolph played well. Dobbs more with his feet and Mason with his arm. That being said the run game left a lot to be desired. Bush looks like he is going to be a very good addition to the team. He stood out among the defensive players. # 54 linebacker also showed some moves to get to the quarterback. The receiving corps overall shows promise. Gentry is a big target and made a nice catch in the end zone for a TD. I'm not sure how the Stellers are going to do in the division. The Ravens made some nice moves in the off season, and the Browne's no longer look the perennial cellar dwellers. Of course injuries play a big part in regard to how the season will play out. Time will tell . Go Steelers!

Strength comes not from innate ability, but from an indomitable will.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 12:41:16 (permalink)
    Who are the Stillers looking to target in the draft?
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4210
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 13:04:01 (permalink)
    A coach😀

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2412
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 13:10:33 (permalink)
    I'm not a Stiller fan but Ben was/is a great player.  I wouldn't be surprised if he hung it up with this news.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 14:11:05 (permalink)
    LDD
    I'm not a Stiller fan but Ben was/is a great player.  I wouldn't be surprised if he hung it up with this news.  

I wouldn't either.  He likely had 2-3 years left without this.  Out an entire season to rehab, then trying to get back into NFL starter QB form, would be tough at any age.  Not sure if he wants to chance looking like Peyton Manning or other greats that tried to fight back from injury late in their career.  To basically just add to the pain they will likely be in later in life.  They are extremely competitive people, so I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to come back too.

Rudolph looked pretty good, but they were already questioning this team's offense minus Brown and Bell.  Not looking good for him.  But could be in much worse of a situation on many other teams.  The defense is a year or two from being where it needs to be.  They made some good moves, but young and need to get some NFL experience.

Tomlin will definitely be monitored for how he handles things.  The higher ups know things are stacked against him.  If he is able to get them to .500 or close to, he's safe for a while.  If they implode, he is gone.  Then figuring out who is next in line.  The guy has the highest winning percentage in Stillers history.  Maybe they should just pick up Bill Belichik, since he has owned the Stillers for so long?
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2412
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 14:27:45 (permalink)
    I heard Rudolph looked pretty good.   We'll see how he looks once teams game plan for him.  
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2755
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 14:44:01 (permalink)
    crappiefisher
    https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/09/16/pittsburgh-steelers-colin-kaepernick-ben-roethlisberger/

Ha, ha!  Any time a QB goes down, his name is brought up.  He has been offered multiple backup positions and turned them all down.  I could not see the Stillers offer him a starting spot over Rudolph.  They may try him out for a backup spot and test out fan reaction.  The Stillers just traded arguably the best WR in the NFL for a bag of chips to eliminate the drama that surrounded him.  I would be surprised if they would invite drama back in for a guy that most experts say, is a back up level QB.  If he were Tom Brady talent, I could see them putting up with the drama again. 
    ICE NUT
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 17:14:47 (permalink)
    Heres an idea they could make big ben the coach after all he really has been running the team for years now just ask haley!! He couldn't possibly do any worse than what we have now!!!Hes gona be a sideline cheerleader for a good while and his salary is guaranteed 30 some million.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 17:28:20 (permalink)
    My memory ain’t what it used to be but didn’t Terry Bradshaw’s career end over an injury to his elbow? As far as Colin is concerned don’t forget they once signed Mike Vick with the baggage surrounding him.

ICE NUT
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 17:45:00 (permalink)
    Bens career started in 2004 b/c of injury to tommy Maddox ,peytons ended by injury lets give mason a chance and see what he has I think were going to be surprised so now if they can only get coaches with a brain we may be ok
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9435
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 18:05:20 (permalink)
    DarDys
    A coach😀

🙄 🙁 😣 🤔 😁 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣

😳Dang... forgot, I ain't talkin to you, 😡you got me in trouble.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 20:46:26 (permalink)
    bigfoot
    don’t forget they once signed Mike Vick with the baggage surrounding him.

They weren’t coming off of 2 years of on and off drama with the Bell holdout then Brown being a clown. Vick had played a few years and other team or two, before they signed him as a clear backup.
    rsquared
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2152
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/16 21:10:56 (permalink)
    Kaepernick's 32 years old and hasn't played since 2016.  And when he did play, other than one magical season, he was below average.  I don't doubt that many teams stay away from him because of the drama, but let's face it - if you're gonna help a team win, you have a job.  2019's Exhibit A: Brown, Antonio

As for Ben, he's had a great career.  For the past 3 or 4 years, I feel like he's been good to very good, but no longer great.  His ego's as big as any QB who has been as good as he has, so I wasn't surprised to see him release a statement today that he'll be back.  A few players mentioned today that his elbow has been hurting since last week.  I think there have definitely been times he's tried to play through injuries where he's hurt the team - yesterday being one of them - but during his career there hasn't been a No. 2 QB on the roster with the pedigree of Rudolph or who was drafted or signed and viewed as a POSSIBLE QB of the future.  

Looking forward to seeing what Rudolph can do.  He surely doesn't seem to lack for confidence.  If he sucks and Ben returns next year, the Steelers know they need to draft another QB to get ready for when Ben's career really does end.  If he plays well or very well and leads them to the playoffs, it'll create a lot of fun drama next season if Ben returns.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/17 07:42:02 (permalink)
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2019/09/17/minkah-fitzpatrick-trade-underscores-steelers-faith-in-ben-roethlisberger/amp/

This is a bold move. My thought is that they are going all out on defense in anticipation that they won’t have Ben. Sure, you can have that early pick for the next franchise QB. But that QB isn’t worth much without a good defense. Stillers had an explosive offense the past few years and still couldn’t get things done with the defense. With an explosive defense and solid O line, you are always in it, even with a questionable or young developing QB. I.e. Stillers of Cowher era.

This move could definitely backfire, but I was never a fan of them putting the defense on the rear burner.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3002
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/17 09:24:00 (permalink)
    Colbert said when they picked Mason in 3rd round, they had a 1st round grade on him...so we will see if the other 31 teams are justified in passing over him or not. I like Mason, I think he can be serviceable, much higher ceiling than Landry Jones and Josh Dobbs had.

If they somehow dig out of this 0-2 hole and get to 10-6...they might sneak into playoffs with wildcard.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/17 09:45:52 (permalink)
    psu_fish

If they somehow dig out of this 0-2 hole and get to 10-6...they might sneak into playoffs with wildcard.

Seems to me that's been the trend all along.

Have my reason's for that phenomenon but with Ben out of the mix, I'm thinkin DarDys still has the best suggestion for first round draft pick.

P.S. Football is a defensive game.

Gotta go for now, basket weaving begins at the top of the hour.👋

P.S.S. HOW 'BOUT THEM BROWNS??😁
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/09/17 09:56:58

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/17 10:53:54 (permalink)
    Defense wins championships, no matter how much they try to change the rules in favor of offense. 

Patriots have been good for so long, largely to do with their defense and solid O line (and bending rules where ever possible, although rarely need to).  A solid O line will make an average QB look good.  It makes a great QB, the best of all time in Brady.  The guy rarely has multiple big names to get the ball to.  Usually more a cast of average targets that can catch balls when wide open.

Since 2003, they have been in top 10 of points allowed every year besides twice (where they were 11 & 12th).  If you put a defense out there for Brady, that will hold them under 20 points most games, he will win most games.

No other QB in the league has what Brady has.  A dominate O-line, great defense, and the ability to put his team and winning above himself.  Much of his great O-line has to do with him putting the team above himself, taking less than his market value, to constantly have a dominate O-line.  Stillers have a really good O-line and was a great defense before the unfortunate Shazier incident.  Look to be on the right track to be great again.  They have never had a QB that puts his team and winning above himself.  Hopefully Mason is that guy.  Their only shot at long term success. 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/17 13:56:55 (permalink)
    First round depth on the practice squad.  Not bad.  I'm sure there is a reason he wasn't on a roster...  Maybe the right fit here?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-add-quarterback-and-former-first-round-draft-pick-paxton-lynch-to-practice-squad/
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/18 17:13:33 (permalink)
    Porktown
    First round depth on the practice squad.  Not bad.  I'm sure there is a reason he wasn't on a roster...  Maybe the right fit here?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-add-quarterback-and-former-first-round-draft-pick-paxton-lynch-to-practice-squad/
    [/quote
    Well if he doesn’t work out throwing the ball, maybe he would work out catching it. He’s a little on the light side but pack a few pounds on him and try him at tight end. Gotta be able to block though. Six feet seven is a nice target.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/18 19:27:46 (permalink)
    Rumor has it Eli Manning could be available. 🙄

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/22 20:02:03 (permalink)
    5 turnovers and still can’t win... You couldn’t ask for much more from the defense. Besides a stop on the last drive, of course. Without the turnovers, they were giving up yards. But that will happen when you are trying to force turnovers. Not a bad trade off if you can get the turnovers. The O line needs to step things up. Connor earned about every yard he got. Mason was getting harassed constantly. He and receivers need to do much better. But they are all young and making their way. The O line is supposed to be on of the best. Horrible showing by them when needed. Granted, SF defense is pretty good too. Luckily for them, the AFC North is still wide open. Win all of your division games and you are just fine. I doubt that happening, but the season is still young.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/09/30 23:20:42 (permalink)
    Enjoyed watching the game tonight but since Gruden & McDonough no longer broadcast, I don't know if I can ever watch another Monday night game on ESPN.

Good grief😫

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/10/07 10:16:16 (permalink)
    Stillers may be forced to sign Kapernick...  They have 11 games left, which might injure every other free agent QB in that time.

That game was pretty bad for the Stillers, but entertaining.  Some very questionable calls on both sides.  Horrible officiating seemed to even out.  It really looked like they were going to pull it off, after what seemed to be a bad decision to defer the OT kickoff, that actually worked for them.  That Ju Ju fumble just took a bad bounce at the last second and barely missed the finger tip of the defender to rule it out of bounds.  They put a lot of trust in their defense by deferring and honestly, they deserve it.  They are looking to be a real force for the next few years.  

The next few weeks will be interesting.  Hopefully Mason is fine.  That was a pretty nasty KO.  Looked like some sort of UFC hay maker to the chin and lights out.  Hopefully doesn't make him tentative.

They can pretty much write off the playoffs at this point.  But encouraging that they went toe to toe with the top team in the AFC North, with their 2nd & 3rd string QB.  They only went down early, trying to be conservative with Mason.  Once they let him loose, as they would have started the game with Ben, they were able to move the ball.  If Mason comes back without long term effects, both physically and mentally, they should keep most games entertaining and further his development for the long term.  At this point, that is really all you can ask for. 

They definitely have a chance to implode too.

Of course, we'll hear Yinzernation talk about how they should have kept their first round pick for a QB.  Obviously now, after Mason going down, changes everything.  But, how are those first round, can't lose QB picks doing?  The picks from the past two years are hard to really assess, as many aren't playing enough or not really fair to them to say they are struggling on bad teams.  There are a bunch that are doing great.  But I really feel, you need to look at 4-5 years to 10 years for a real trend of a franchise QB.  Many of those guys came out strong in their 2-3 year, then DCs figured them out and basically gone.  There aren't many in the first round, that stand the test of time.  Even less in the other rounds.  But honestly, if you want to stay competitive, you need a good defense and good offensive line. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3002
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/10/07 15:15:52 (permalink)
    Kaep is not coming back. Dude burned bridges, and was not that effective. Only the liberal media keeps pushing that narrative.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/10/07 19:00:45 (permalink)
    PSU I would agree with you 100% with one exception. We're talking the Rooney's here.

EMitch
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 505
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/10/07 19:13:13 (permalink)
    The Steelers re-signed a non-drafted quarterback to be backup to the backup who's backing up Ben. Other news in the NFL is that the Redskins are interested in Tomlin for a head coach. Great! Pay da money, buy out his contract, and sign him!

Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its stated intent.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/10/07 19:42:57 (permalink)
    So does Gruden come to the Steelers? We are talking the Rooney's here.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Stillers 2019 N’at 2019/10/07 23:03:13 (permalink)
    The Browns are still the Browns. Sorry Cleveland, they looked promising.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: