Rod for light lures

Author
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
  • Reward points: 0
2019/07/22 23:05:51 (permalink)

Rod for light lures

My go-to “Panfish” (Sunfish, Crappie, Chubs, pretty much anything 12” or less) rod for the past several years has been a 7’ UL Uglystik GX2. While I love the action of this rod for fighting fish, and it does just fine with live/natural bait presentations, the one thing it struggles with is making accurate casts and getting good hook sets with artificials. So, I’m looking for a nice rod to use for those same species that specializes more in throwing small jigs/plastics (mainly 1/64 and 1/32 oz) as well as small to extra small plugs and spinners. Needs to have enough backbone for a good hook set with said lures, but still have enough flex that even a half decent Bluegill or Creek Chub could put a decent bend in it. I should also mention, I’m mainly fishing small creeks and from shore on small-medium lakes and ponds, so I’d prioritize accuracy over distance when it comes to casting (though both would be nice if possible). Any recommendations? The main rod I’m considering right now is a St. Croix Panfish series; 6’9”, UL power, fast action, 2-6#, 1/32-3/16 oz. Seems like exactly what I’m looking for with great reviews, but $120 would be about the most I’d ever want to spend on a rod for fish of this size.

9 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Rod for light lures 2019/07/22 23:51:33 (permalink)
    You ain't gonna go wrong with a Croix but a word of caution. Croix's aint nothing like Ughlystiks (buggywhip🤗) as the Croix tips are exceptionally sensative and will break. Fishing lines such as "SpiderWire" and hard hook set not a good match especially if you snag a sunken ship or sumthin.

That being said, I've used the same Croix UL 6.6 fast action since the 80's and just recently replaced it with a 7' UL Croix.

Not only will you feel the subtle bite (on a tightline) but feel the weight of a fish when verticle jigging/dead sticking.

Also, Croix's are very light and well balanced in construction so match the new rod with a reel that maintains the balance.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Rod for light lures 2019/07/23 00:16:57 (permalink)
    I appreciate the input, BTDT.

And oh, I know. I’ve got a couple St. Croixs for different applications as well as a few Loomis rods, quality graphite is infinitely better than glass in pretty much every category other than durability. As for line, I’ll probably run my standard 6 pound Trilene XL, the only time I prefer braid is for vertical jigging and trolling on the big pond up north. And, as far as a reel goes, I’m still trying to figure out what would balance well with a rod that size. I’ll double check, but I think that model is 2.8 ounces. Pflueger Presidents are my go-to spinning reels, so maybe I’ll grab one of them in a size 30 or 35.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: Rod for light lures 2019/07/23 09:24:32 (permalink)
    Perhaps move up from UL to a Light action rod with fast action tip...slightly more backbone will give better casting. As far as brands, I am big proponent of touching, holding and trying out in the store before buying....same with guns.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Rod for light lures 2019/07/23 10:33:14 (permalink)
    Might I recomend a Shimano in their UL class with quick fire feature spooled with 4lb test. Time tested, time proven. 👍

Being a Croix owner I'm sure you would agree, not only is the rod great for feeling the bite and hook sets but handles the retrieve of your catch, allowing for the use of lighter line.

As you know, (with any fishing rod) matching line weight with lure weight is very important in detecting that subtle bite as well as, casting distance.

Wanna have some real fun catching gills, specks, perch & fish bait like chubs, try 2 lb test.

Good times & tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Rod for light lures 2019/07/23 17:46:39 (permalink)
    Oooops..... silly me I most forgot, FishUSA has a wide selection of UL rods and reels. Fishin line too and great prices to boot and I know this from expirience.

PS. This has been a non-paid endorsement. Heck, I can't even win a contest.... stupid contest. 😭

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    Re: Rod for light lures 2019/07/23 17:53:50 (permalink)
    Check out TFO rods. Word on the street is Gary Loomis designed them.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Rod for light lures 2019/07/24 18:21:59 (permalink)
    I use a 9ft dawia spinmatic only $40 but is the best UL I ever owned

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Rod for light lures 2019/07/31 15:49:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I’ll probably head to my local shop sometime soon and see if they have anything along the lines of what I’m looking for that feels right in my hands. I’m also considering bumping up to light power now. Might be more difficult to cast 1/64th ounce jigs, but I’d also be able to use it for creek Sauger/Walleye fishing around home, and Pickerel up north.
    spoonminnow
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Rod for light lures 2019/08/13 20:14:04 (permalink)
    https://www.bnmpoles.com/collections/fishing-poles/products/dc-spin?variant=1581471006731

One of the best light action rods I've ever used. Gander Mt. used to sell them before the went belly up. $20 for a 6' is well worth it!
    Jump to: