Fish Carcass Disposal

Author
350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 439
  • Reward points: 0
2019/06/24 17:18:58 (permalink)

Fish Carcass Disposal

Came to visit last weekend to work on camp and fished for walleye on Sunday. While there I noticed that you are no longer allowed to throw fish cleaning trash in the dumpster at Walnut.

Anyone know another place public is allowed to dump guts and carcass?

BTW, 3 limits in 4 hours. Water and weather was as perfect as anyone could ask for.

(Please forgive me for posting this in 2 sections. The other should be deleted)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

6 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1786
    Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/11 10:55:55 (permalink)
    In NYS it has been illegal to dump fish or fish parts within 100 feet of the water's edge for quite some time.  You put the fillets in a bag and keep them on ice, right?  Collect the "fish waste" and put it in its own bag in the same cooler, then put it in your trash when you get home.  Or bury it in the garden, Native American fertilizer.  Have not had any problems with the ECO's with this technique, and I don't pay 5 bux a fish to have someone else clean it either.   Of course, I am rarely dealing with 3 limits in 4 hours!
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/11 11:10:31 (permalink)
    Lucky,
    Years back when we went to NY there were official "mulch" locations that would accept the trash.  Not sure if they still exist.

In Erie PA it was very convenient to have dumpster for public use.  Now taking trash home is extra work...that's all.

In a couple weeks we will be dong a bigger trip, 2 boats and probably 8 fishermen for 3 days.  Potential for a lot as trash to haul home. :)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/16 10:01:00 (permalink)
    We came up from a spot on the Salmon River back in the days of "mulch piles " (I live here in NY and never saw one), to find 2 PA anglers cleaning their salmon to go in the 150 + gallon cooler they had on a shelf on the front of their camper.  We had both become ill on arrival at 4:30 am because the stench of decaying fish was so thick.  When these guys finished with a fillet pair, the rest of the remains were thrown in the bushes.  When we said something to them about the neighbors and the stench and they by then swarming yellow jackets, they replied that they didn't care, they were headed back to PA that day. I commented that they had better find another place to access the river, because that spot would for sure be posted after the mess and stench created.  Sure enough, the following year, the spot was rocked off, no parking no trespassing, and a year or so after that Douglaston, and pay tp play fish cleaning stations.  I worked with people from the NYS Conservation Council to get the fish littering bill passed, lots of non fishers were up in arms about discarded salmon guts, or in the spring, whole suckers thrown around with no consideration for those who live nearby, and lots of possible access loss issues.  Since that time most all municipal parks have adopted a "you carry in you carry out" policy, and no trash cans are provided.  Once in a while a mess gets created by a real pig, but for the most part upstate New Yorkers are realizing that they are responsible for their own trash, fish related or otherwise. 
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2019/07/16 10:02:33
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/16 10:03:35 (permalink)
    350Z&Steelheads
    Lucky
    In a couple weeks we will be dong a bigger trip, 2 boats and probably 8 fishermen for 3 days.  Potential for a lot as trash to haul home. :)

Buy a bigger cooler!
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/16 11:03:34 (permalink)
    yup...bigger cooler and more trash bags.

I do find that bagging the remains and then putting into a cooler works out to be a lot cleaner.  At least holds down the smell longer.

bubbaman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re: Fish Carcass Disposal 2019/07/17 16:16:23 (permalink)
    I fully believe in taking your trash home with you if there is no safe place to place it . but in order to difuse landowner hassles why cant the fish commission have a dumpster at walnut ?
    Jump to: