advice input on cabela's SLA fly reel and or UK Vision Kamma reel

Author
synister370
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/16 08:31:17 (permalink)

advice input on cabela's SLA fly reel and or UK Vision Kamma reel

Been looking to get myself a new fly reel, been looking at Cabela's new SLA im hearing alot of good reviews on it (supposed to be designed after one of the Loops reels)

anyone useing one? you like hate it

anyone got one for sale?

price seems about right and the the differnt types of fishing i do it would pretty much handel it all

also these vision reels made in the uk

seen websites that list them and seem good but wondering if anyone used one
post edited by synister370 - 2007/04/16 08:55:28

7 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: advice input on cabela's SLA fly reel and or UK Vision Kamma reel 2007/04/23 09:00:58 (permalink)
    Last spring/early summer I purchased a combo from cabelas, 9'9'' 5wt LST rod coupled with the SLA reel and Mastery GPX line.  I would have to say that bot the rod and reel far exceeded any of my expectations.  Like you said the share a very similar design with some of the older LOOP reels.  I own several reels including a Ross Rythm, Ross evo, Fenwick Nighthawk, Battenkill, and the SLA ranks right up at the top of the list.  They are extremely smooth(they dont have a clicker) and the drag fuctions pretty well, although it does have a bit more start-up inertia compared the Ross reels.  The reel is what says SUPER Large Arbor so choose your size accordingly, I believe mine was for 5-6wt line however I would have liked to get the next smaller size, just my own preference.  All in all great reel for the money in my opinion.

Chris 
    synister370
    New Angler
    RE: advice input on cabela's SLA fly reel and or UK Vision Kamma reel 2007/04/23 10:35:24 (permalink)
    Chris

sell me your reel and go get your self the smaller one!!!

thanks for the input

but if your intrested in selling it let me know.. i need a new reel bad.. and the bigger size is what im looking for

contact me at

aaron.spangler@pittsburgh.af.mil
    post edited by synister370 - 2007/04/23 10:39:06
    MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: advice input on cabela's SLA fly reel and or UK Vision Kamma reel 2007/04/23 12:28:40 (permalink)
    I own the SLA and I dont recomend it. Its made in Korea and the clicker broke on mine before I caught any fish.
    Crapellas said they would replace it but I elimanated the clicker from it and kept on fishing. DO NOT! buy this reel.
    It looks pretty but the drag sucks and you would be WAY better off with a Tioga or an Orvis BBS. Heres a pic of mine. Dont let the bass fool you the reel realy does suck and I wish I bought something other than the SLA. It is very pretty though.

synister370
    New Angler
    RE: advice input on cabela's SLA fly reel and or UK Vision Kamma reel 2007/04/23 14:55:51 (permalink)
    JUST SENT YOU A PM
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: advice input on cabela's SLA fly reel and or UK Vision Kamma reel 2007/04/24 12:09:19 (permalink)
    Synister, sorry not for sale gonna hang onto it for a while here. 

I really can't justify any of what Dan says of the reel. 
    All I can tell you is that in a year of service it hasnt let me down once, drag is always smooth and plenty powerful (Ive used it for steelhead), the reel is tremendously smooth, and light.
    Like I said before I would recomend it to anyone who asks.

Dan, I think you may be confused about something there is not a clicker on those reels they are free-spinning, I dont know how your broke something that isnt there.  As far as being Korean there really arent too many viable options to purchase a reel here in the U.S. unless your willing to spend a small fortune. 
    synister370
    New Angler
    RE: advice input on cabela's SLA fly reel and or UK Vision Kamma reel 2007/04/24 13:11:06 (permalink)
    thanks

man im gonna save up and get that or the orvis battenkill large arbor one...

just spending that amount of money i know some of you have 500 dollar reels....

just wish i could find one used..
    MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: advice input on cabela's SLA fly reel and or UK Vision Kamma reel 2007/05/06 22:09:18 (permalink)
    Mine had a clicker, and Id be willing to bet that if you took yours apart you'd see where they used to be. I Think they removed them due to problems. Other than the drag and the clicker problem that I had and the sweat shop labor that built it. I like it. Would I buy another?....NO WAY!

The orvis reel is a good one The Tioga is also great and its made in the US by Teton.  The tioga will set you back about 150.
    Jump to: