Steelhead Tournaments?

Author
loaftech
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 269
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/13 19:10:39 (permalink)

Steelhead Tournaments?

Hey guys, are there any steelhead tourneys that take place through out the year in erie?  I think it would be alot of fun.  

Thanks guys    just wonderin

17 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/13 19:28:19 (permalink)
    The PSA will be having one for it's members (good cause and good time) in March.  Check out the website.  There are tickets on sale for a raffle to be drawn that day as well.  The tourney is free, but you have to be a member.  There's the One Fly in the Fall put together by a couple members of this site, and it too is free.  There's at least one ProAm in the Summer out on the big pond.  Those are the only ones I know of.  I'm sure there's more.  
    loaftech
    Expert Angler
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/13 19:29:39 (permalink)
    if somebody was to put one together do you think it would be popular? say a 20 dollar entry fee?
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/13 20:00:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: loaftech

if somebody was to put one together do you think it would be popular? say a 20 dollar entry fee?

Elk Creek Sport (bait & tackle shop near Elk Access) used to have one in the spring.
    Proceeds went to the Shriners(?)
    Dan (ECS owner) took a bloody beating on the Fisherie board over it.

I'm not sure if much of the cries of foul were just because Dan put it on or not.
    (Many here had/have a "strong dislike" for Dan)
    I'm sure that was part of the reason for some, but others had problems with it being a kill tourny for money and also bringing increased pressure to the creeks.

...L.T.A.
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/13 20:13:37 (permalink)
    I do believe that a permit is required for money tournamnets.  You might want to check with the PFBC.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/13 20:22:59 (permalink)
    Tourneys are a touchy issue.  Non-kill just for fun and not for money tourneys seem to be more popular than big money kill tourneys.  There are many different opinions about fishing competitions.  Personally, I enjoy fishing and fishing for me is not a competition.

pax vobiscum +
    loaftech
    Expert Angler
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/13 20:43:17 (permalink)
    I used to fish alot of bass tournaments and couuldent help but notice that with the popularity of the steelhead fishing that there wasnt a big tournament.  Maybe it is better that way there was a good point raised about less pressure on the fish
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/13 22:13:38 (permalink)
    loaftech,
         With big money and money prizes comes greed.  And greed makes people do some funny things.  For the last 4 years I have put on the One Fly Contest with the amazing help of some good friends and I can honestly say that as long as I am "sponsoring" the thing there will never be an entrance fee (so anybody can participate) and catch & release will be encouraged.  It helps keep the event a fun time, encourages adults to bring out their children,  (who by the way won two of our top prizes last year) and makes the event more of a get together and test of personal skill as opposed to a drive to make money. 
          This is just my opinion but I feel the One Fly promotes responsibility, and encourages good stewardship of the resource.  As a side note I have seen steel that weren't big enough just dumped in garbage cans after some tourneys. 

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 07:54:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

The PSA will be having one for it's members (good cause and good time) in March.  Check out the website.  There are tickets on sale for a raffle to be drawn that day as well.  The tourney is free, but you have to be a member.  There's the One Fly in the Fall put together by a couple members of this site, and it too is free.  There's at least one ProAm in the Summer out on the big pond.  Those are the only ones I know of.  I'm sure there's more.  

March 29th is the date. Must be and fish with a member of the Pennsylvania Steelhead Association. It is a Catch and release tournament Need the PSA member to be witness to length and time of catch. The tournament is free to the members. Banquet to fallow at the American Legion on West 12th street at 7pm Food and beverages provided. More info coming on the web site or drop an email.
    http://pasteelhead.org/
    Hope to see you there.
    post edited by chrisrowboat - 2008/02/14 19:01:51
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 10:37:54 (permalink)
    loaftech,

One of the major issues that differentiate steelhead fishing in NWPA and other types of tournaments is the streams vs open water fishing.  The streams are small and run through private property for the most part.  A big money tournament designed to encourage a large number of people to compete on a specific day or series of days is the last thing that this fishery needs, IMO.  As mentioned earlier by Indsquiz, when money is involved people tend to change their whole view of the sport.  While I would believe most folks are honest, the temptation of money or expensive prizes may be too much for some.  I am afraid there will be people who will bend the rules if you know what I mean and may even decide to break the law if necessary, - trespass, snag fish, etc...

There is also an issue of fairness.  With portions of the streams that are not accessible to the average person, those who have access to private areas may have an unfair advantage.  If a tournament was established for the general public and I would believe it should be held only on public access waters and have strict supervision by judges who will be in charge of verifying the catches at the site the fish was caught. 

One idea that I believe might be a good one would to hold a tournament where only a limited number of people would actually fish and the area where they were to fish was clearly established before the tournament began.  The idea would be that those chosen to fish would come from a random drawing of names the day of the tournament.  You could register in advance and pay a small fee for the opportunity to be in the pool of potential competitors.  The day of the tournament the names of the competitors would be chosen and the sections of stream they will fish be determined.  The competitors would then head out to the stream with a judge and fish for the designated period of time and their catches recorded by the judges.  At the end of the designated time everyone would meet back for the final results and the winner announced.

I could even see a contest where a wider number of things would be included.  For the fly fisherman you could have the same basic selection process, but give the fisherman say 30 minutes to tie the flies they will be using and limit them to say 5 flies.  That way not only do they have to catch the fish, but they have to tie the flies they will be using, which means they will have to know the water conditions, pick appropriate patterns and tie them on the spot....  No pressure there....

For the bait fisherman allow them to choose one or two baits to use; say one or two live or egg baits and one or two non-live bait like a jig or fly.  Again, it would be up to them to pick the most appropriate bait for the stream conditions.

Some might say, why would anyone want to participate in such a contest?  One, the entrance fee, which would be minimal, say 5 bucks would go to charity.  Even if you did not get a chance to compete you made a donation.  Another thing is the competition would be more likely to be fair.  All of the water fished would be public, judges would be overseeing the competition, and all contestants would be using a limited number of flies or bait.  Basically, there is a level playing field.  The differences would be in the skill of the fisherman.  Of course, there is also the fish.... We all know how they can behave .

One other idea might be that all those who registered would be eligible for a drawing of prizes, so again if you did not fish, you still could win something. 

These are just a few ramblings of possibilities, but in the long run the idea is that if a tournament is held, it should encourage good sportsmanship, have a level playing field, allow people the opportunity to win prizes and positively promote the fishery. 

pax vobiscum +
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 10:38:53 (permalink)
    Fish for fun, not for cash. When money gets involved, idiots tempers seem to rise. I prefer to fight fish, not fishermen.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 16:29:39 (permalink)
    Tournaments? This whole season felt like a tournament.

I have felt a huge amount of competition in finding a spot to fish.........

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    hivue05
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 16:47:34 (permalink)
    Money spells TROUBLE
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 17:58:07 (permalink)
    "I have felt a huge amount of competition in finding a spot to fish......... "

Really? I've made numerous trips, and had little such difficulty.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    lazyboatingdaze
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 17:59:29 (permalink)
    rather than money everyone can put up a dozen or so of there favort flies and the winner takes all..............But how would you judge the winner with out some one on the shores keeping track.  Maybe a photo with a tape measure next to the fish. 
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 17:59:34 (permalink)
    Twas just a joke.....Spoon!   lol

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    loaftech
    Expert Angler
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 19:15:29 (permalink)
    yea that would be awesome to have one for goods instead of money, if we could get some manufacturers or shops to throw in some small door prizes, fire up the grill that would be a great time!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Steelhead Tournaments? 2008/02/14 22:52:37 (permalink)
    loaftech,
         That's exactly what the "One Fly" is.  All the prizes are either made by individuals (flies)  donated by individuals, or purchased by me and a few others.  It's prizes only.  Come see on Columbus Day weekend 2008.  We have people donate food, prizes, cooking skills, ect.  Two man teams chosen by random luck each keeps the others' score.  Seems to work out well.   The PSA Contest seems to be a good one too.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: