Author
Mick8535
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2018/09/11 19:19:17 (permalink)

Presque Isle Bay newbie. Seeking tips.

Hey everybody,

Wife and I are coming upto Erie from Pgh, to check out Presque Isle and hang for a few days, Wed, Thurs, & Fri, we're gonna be in a good motel. Originally we had planned a week of tent camping on Assateaque Island  but due to the nasty hurricane screwing up the coastal weather --- that was 100% not a good idea!

So we are making it work and gonna experience Erie PA and the lake. I want to get out and do some fishing from shore. As far as my fishing orientation, I am not really a bait guy, more the arificial type, when it is feasable. I have spoons, all kinds of spinners, crank baits, jerk baits, many rubber worms and rubber jigs with twisters...lots of plastic.

Sorry, I know there is a ton of information in threads on this board, but I was hoping I could just get a few words of wisdom to get me started in a good direction or place. I have a few days and don't know the area at all.

Any spots I should try? Wharfs, piers? Landings or docks that are good? I would do big perch, any bass would be awesome, I am open to catching trout, or walleyes? --- or am I dreaming thinking I can get anything after all this rain?
I could wear waders if it would help. But I'm confined to shoreline-ish. I am assumming any creeks are probably blown out for a few days?
(PS If someone told me I really should use shiners or lave bait, I would consider giving up my resistance.)

Thanks any help guys!

Mick \0/

3 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Presque Isle Bay newbie. Seeking tips. 2018/09/12 09:25:10 (permalink)
    Hey Mick -

I'm not much of a Presque Isle guy, having only fished there a handful of times.  I'm more of a steelhead in the tribs guy, but this was in the weekly fishing report last Friday in the Erie Times:

Presque Isle Bay fishing has been pretty good, especially at the ends of the North Pier and South Pier where an unusually good number of walleye have been caught recently. Try casting an Erie Dearie, or some other weight-forward spinner, tipped with a nightcrawler. Fish early and late. This is a great opportunity for shore anglers to catch Lake Erie walleye. Anglers at various locations along the city side of the bay have been catching perch and crappie.

If you go here - https://www.fisherie.com/Maps - you'll find a pretty useful map by clicking on Presque Isle.  

Some local bait shops in the area also post frequent reports on Facebook.  Presque Isle Angler and East End Angler often mention fishing in the bay on their reports.  

If you chuck some spoons early in the morning and evening at the mouths of the tributaries, I would imagine you'd get into some staging steelhead too.  
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Presque Isle Bay newbie. Seeking tips. 2018/09/12 10:06:21 (permalink)
    I never checked into it very well since I have my own boat, but I think there are some small boat rental places around the Bay area. Not sure if they are still open after Labor Day. Might be worth checking with all the weed growth around this time of year. If you can find some open shore areas to cast out around the Bay or launches in the Bay you should have some fishing action. The Piers are higher up above the water and somewhat crowded I'd stick to the Bay shorelines but weeds are heavy now.  Like RS said the trib mouths are a good choice too. 
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Presque Isle Bay newbie. Seeking tips. 2018/09/12 12:20:01 (permalink)
    Without giving too much away......if you were to like 15 to 20 pound catfish......creek mouths are on fire. 

For bass, rent a canoe or kayak from the place by misery bay and hit the lagoons.

Perch, hit a pier. 

Walleye, "possibility" off the pier. 

Pelletheads......not much of a chance without getting too specific. 

Bluegills/crappie.....by the monument, or again, rent a canoe and throw small plastics. Marina bay has decent shoreline spots as well. 

Or, like other have said, rent a boat from the place on Chestnut Street boat ramp.......not a bad price and decent boats. 
    Jump to: