Question for the lake guys....

Author
bassackwards
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points: 0
2018/09/04 08:53:02 (permalink)

Question for the lake guys....

I am taking some good family out later this week (the family I actually like and don't think about drowning) and was hoping to hit the deep haunts for something a bit larger than the walleye. I am hoping someone might be able to give me a handout of some info on how the bite has been. I don't need any secrets, but just in general how the laker fishing is this time of year and if working the mountain is the way to go.....or just go deep and forget about transition areas. I have has fair success in the spring working 40-60 FOW off the mountain, but can only assume I use the same tactics just a lot deeper ?? 

I will be leaving NE marina at 0530 on Friday. 

I plan on a normal set-up of cowbells,large spoons and big sticks, run fast, 2.3-3.5 MPH. This is for my 2 riggers. 

I plan on also running dipsys up higher in the column in hopes of some walleye or "other". Probably run a 5 color and maybe a 10 color as well, off off-shore boards as well.  

I am more than happy to take a PM......if someone isn't cozy about giving info to the world (I can understand). 

Again, not looking for specifics, just if anyone has had a decent bite in late summer, and if they are in traditional areas but move deeper. I can sort the rest out. 

2 riggers bouncing the bottom. Big/Huge spoons and probably a cowbell. 
2 dipsys in the mid column range. Probably tickle the lower to mid column. #1 dipsy, both set on 3, 120 to 150 back (using braid).
One 5 color down the chute with deep divers (mid-depth range, maybe 40 foot down total), and possibly 1 ten color off a board with large spoon. 
One "other" rod off a small off-shore board, using snap weights, 50/50 method. 

At least, that is the plan in my head right now. 

9 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Question for the lake guys.... 2018/09/04 11:45:18 (permalink)
    Can't give you much advice about the Mountain. Fished Barcelona Ny and could keep them off the line,a lot of small 3-5 pound fish,1 mile out and your over 100 ' of water. Only kept one in my life and know why I never kept anymore. Caught tons off Niagara and Olcott. Slow and deep,spoons and you'll catch all the grease balls you want. I guess if your catching 20 pounders that would be something else but I rather perch fish lol. I guess I really never caught a monster, I caught a few over 30" in NY never weighed them but guessing 10-12 lbs. 
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    Re: Question for the lake guys.... 2018/09/04 12:20:40 (permalink)
    Tuna - First off, Thank you ! 

We get some mid-teens on the PA/NY line in the spring, but hear of some over 20#'s. We don't eat them....just enjoy a different catch now and again. I have had enough of the walleye for a while. I only keep enough Walleye to eat without freezing, so it isn't like i always walleye fish to keep them. If family is up they keep what they want, but they live in an area of the USA where you can't hardly find walleye in the stores. It is a nice treat for them ! 

Thanks for your reply though, at least tells me they are still deep and not in any sort of transition. Barcelona isn't that far from the PA line, so at least gives me some directions. 

When you say slow......how slow have you been ? I always troll fast for them in the spring.....might be why I don't do very good in the fall. 
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Question for the lake guys.... 2018/09/04 14:14:51 (permalink)
    We did pretty well out of North East the second weekend in August. Went 8/11 in 3.5 hours, including 2 doubles. That said, PA waters are unpredictable this time of year, and the Laker bite is dependent on there being enough cold water around. NY waters are great all summer though, we absolutely destroyed them out of Dunkirk a month ago. Might be going out of Dunkirk this Saturday, too, depending on the wind.

All that said, I like 100-120 FOW during the summer. Sometimes deeper, rarely shallower. I run cowbells, dodgers, flashers, and mag spoons. Dipsies work in the spring but unless you’re pounding sand with Mag divers, you’ll find all of your success with riggers this time of year. Fish within 1-10’ of the bottom, I rarely find them higher than 15’ off the mud once the thermocline is set up. If I’m pulling cowbells, I like 1.3-1.7mph, no faster than 1.8. For everything else, I like 2.3-3.0mph

If you can find the cold water, you can have some real fun out there! I’ve put 8 fish over 20 pounds in the boat this year, 6 of them were on a weekend Dunkirk trip last month including a 26 pounder. Average size is around 8-12 pounds in my experience.

Feel free to PM me for any additional info, I love helping guys get into my favorite species of fish!
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    Re: Question for the lake guys.... 2018/09/05 06:32:55 (permalink)
    Thank you Divemaster !! Good info....

Thanks for the speed info. I am used to fishing Ontario where we typically run a much faster speed for flashers and flies. However, I don't pull cowbells at 3+ MPH (won't stay in the releases).  

Dumb question, when you say you might be up in Dunkirk depending on the weather......is it better up there when we get a NE wind ? Supposed to be around 15 knots on Friday (Erie shore). I don't mind making a drive if needed, but also don't want to drive that distance and still be blown off ! 

It is looking like this week might be a game of strategy with the wind and lake conditions. My 19 footer isn't too comfortable in 4+ foot swells.  

I have a fish-hawk, so I can at least figure out where the cooler water is, but sometimes it can be tough with the ever changing winds and currents day to day. 
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Question for the lake guys.... 2018/09/05 17:48:33 (permalink)
    bassackwards
    Thank you Divemaster !! Good info....

Thanks for the speed info. I am used to fishing Ontario where we typically run a much faster speed for flashers and flies. However, I don't pull cowbells at 3+ MPH (won't stay in the releases).  

Dumb question, when you say you might be up in Dunkirk depending on the weather......is it better up there when we get a NE wind ? Supposed to be around 15 knots on Friday (Erie shore). I don't mind making a drive if needed, but also don't want to drive that distance and still be blown off ! 

It is looking like this week might be a game of strategy with the wind and lake conditions. My 19 footer isn't too comfortable in 4+ foot swells.  

I have a fish-hawk, so I can at least figure out where the cooler water is, but sometimes it can be tough with the ever changing winds and currents day to day. 

No problem! Dunkirk and Barcelona are generally good Laker ports all summer, for some reason. They’re about the same depth as North East but there’s oddly much more cold water up that way.

Not sure if I’ll be getting out after all though, 3-9’ waves predicted all weekend for the eastern basin. I don’t care how big the boat is, I don’t want to be out in that haha.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Question for the lake guys.... 2018/09/07 02:28:45 (permalink)
    FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE:

OVERNIGHT  Northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Waves 1 to  3 feet.  FRIDAY  Northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Waves 1 to 3 feet.  FRIDAY NIGHT  Northeast winds 10 to 15 knots increasing to  15 to 20 knots. Waves 1 to 3 feet building to 3 to 5 feet.  SATURDAY  Northeast winds 15 to 25 knots. Waves 3 to 6 feet  building to 4 to 7 feet, then subsiding to 3 to 6 feet. Waves  occasionally around 9 feet.  SATURDAY NIGHT  Northeast winds 15 to 25 knots becoming east to  30 knots. A chance of showers. Waves 5 to 8 feet. Waves  occasionally around 10 feet.  SUNDAY  East winds to 30 knots becoming southeast. Showers.  Waves 5 to 9 feet. Waves occasionally around 11 feet.  MONDAY  South gales to 40 knots becoming southwest and  diminishing to 15 to 20 knots. Showers likely during the day,  then a chance of showers Monday night. Waves 6 to 9 feet  subsiding to 3 to 5 feet. Waves occasionally around 11 feet.  TUESDAY  West winds 5 to 15 knots becoming east. Waves 1 to  3 feet subsiding to 1 foot or less.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Question for the lake guys.... 2018/09/07 10:27:48 (permalink)
    Sounds like a pleasant Walleye chop.
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    Re: Question for the lake guys.... 2018/09/10 07:12:03 (permalink)
    Friday ended up being a great day to be on the water. An early AM storm to the north gave us rough waters right at 6:00am, but was heading out to 60 FOW by 7:00am. Started out as an east wind, maybe 10 knots, and shifted ENE in the mid-morning. Water went from rough back to decent, then back to rough with whitecaps, then to big rollers.....then back to chop. It wasn't a very predictable day. 

Ended up with 15 walleye, and a bunch of sheepshead. One sheepshead was at least 12-15 pounds. 

Lost 1 pellethead at the boat, maybe a 5 pound pellethead.  

Launched out of East Ave, headed to 60 FOW. Only picked up some sheep's on the troll out. Headed back into 50-55 FOW slightly north of the dumping grounds, found the walleye. Lead was hot...hot...hot. Dipys were cold...cold....cold. Could have left the riggers at home ! Most walleye were in the 52-53 foot range, down about 40. 
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    Re: Question for the lake guys.... 2018/09/10 07:13:08 (permalink)
    I planned on going out for Northeast, but the weather made it a tough decision to drive another 40 minutes. 

Jump to: