Helpful ReplyWhere are all the Erie Perch ?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2018/08/30 08:14:49 (permalink)

Where are all the Erie Perch ?

Great year for Walleye numbers by all the reports, but where have all the schools of Perch disappeared to ? We all hear how Steelhead numbers have decreased past 5 years or more also with many pointing the finger at Walleye populations being up. Now what are the culprits against the Yellow Perch numbers being way lower ? Seems the Perch Pirate will have to change it's name ! Your thoughts .................
bassackwards
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/30 09:07:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Pie 2018/08/30 10:02:04
CAPTAIN HOOK
Great year for Walleye numbers by all the reports, but where have all the schools of Perch disappeared to ? We all hear how Steelhead numbers have decreased past 5 years or more also with many pointing the finger at Walleye populations being up. Now what are the culprits against the Yellow Perch numbers being way lower ? Seems the Perch Pirate will have to change it's name ! Your thoughts .................

I don't blame the walleye, but more "wonder" if they have something to do with the cycle we are seeing. I don't necessarily think the perch population is low, but I think they are acting different. The days of seeing the big schools and the old "perch pack" have faded the last 2 years in particular. 

However, there are guys catching them, and catching loads of them (perch). I see it at the docks. I had a guy about a month ago give me 30 perch because he didn't want to clean them. Those guys are keeping quiet. 

I think the lack of schooling fish relate to the lack of schooling bait. Everything seems scattered. Guys are so used to the "old-days" of perch locations......I personally think they have just moved. I relate it to this : If I lived in Chicago, inner city, and always had the present danger around me, I would relocate somewhere more safe. It doesn't mean I would abandon Illinois, but certainly would steer clear of the dangers. The walleye have infiltrated the 40 to 80 FOW, they are thick and hungry. 

But, these things go in cycles. I don't worry too much about the steelhead because they are a put and take species. The normal habits of sea-run steelhead have been documented and studied for a long time. We are just starting to understand the habits of the stocked steelhead in Erie, and we may find the habits don't match the traditional habits of the native species (nope....the one in Erie aren't native. Putting a sea run species in a lake with no sea access is going to alter their habits). I for one have enjoyed having the steelhead as a resource, even though I degrade them to some by saying "pellet-heads".   
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3098
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/30 12:51:21 (permalink)
I do wish the PFBC would figure out where the Brown Trout are going. Being in a 16 footer, set-up for places like Pymy and Wilhelm and Arthur, a near shore trout fishery on Lake Erie is perfect for me.

One would tend to think the BT smolts, just like the Steelies are walleye food. Also, I would bet fair amount of Browns are running to NYS waters
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/30 14:07:49 (permalink)
psu_fish
I do wish the PFBC would figure out where the Brown Trout are going. Being in a 16 footer, set-up for places like Pymy and Wilhelm and Arthur, a near shore trout fishery on Lake Erie is perfect for me.

One would tend to think the BT smolts, just like the Steelies are walleye food. Also, I would bet fair amount of Browns are running to NYS waters

Browns are funny critters. I haven't heard of many this year, but seems like the guys who get them are all by accident. From my experience on Lake Ontario, springs move shallow in early spring. Problem with Erie, not many guys troll/cast the main lake in late March and April. 

Now I am specifically talking trolling and casting in the main lake. I don't see how any fish would want to run up a shallow shale creek with 250 guys chucking lures/flies at them. But, I guess they are programmed to do so. Or, are they ? 

My thought......agree or not, these fish are not following normal trout habits. Maybe it is the warmer water in erie as compared to a place like Ontario. Maybe it is the lack of hard currents. Maybe it is the basic clay/mud bottom with little suitable habitat. Maybe the lack of deep points and drop offs ? 

It reminds me of when they started the walleye stocking program in Lake Michigan......it just never took off (talking lake, not bays). A few here and there, but no real population. However, after a lull in thinking the population would not take off......now it is finally starting to take off. This was a 20+ year process, and it still isn't a great walleye fishery for numbers. However, I conclude it will never be par with anything close to lake Erie. 

psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/30 15:14:04 (permalink)
This is a dated article, but interesting to see how PFBC thought the BT program would turn out. Clearly hasn't met the goal.

30 Sep 2010 4:51 PM
Meadville, PA – The PFBC is stocking brown trout into the tributaries of Lake Erie and Presque Isle Bay again this year. The first stocking took place on September 28, 2010 at Trout Run. These seven inch long trout are fin clipped for identification purposes before being stocked.

Additional stocking locations are Presque Isle Bay, Crooked Creek, Godfrey Run, and Orchard Beach Creek. All tributary stockings will be done as close to the mouths of each stream as possible as long as there is adequate water flow. If stream flow is low, the fish will be stocked directly into the lake near the stream mouth.

Lake Erie Fisheries Biologist Chuck Murray reported that, “The goal of this program is to emulate the brown trout program on Lake Ontario, but on a smaller scale. The intention of this effort is to add some diversity to the tributary fishery, create a near shore springtime fishery, and enhance the offshore summer boat fishery.

These brown trout stockings will supplant the surplus steelhead stocked since the elimination of the Coho program in 2003. The brown trout stocking program was started in 2008 through the gracious donation of 100,000 certified disease free eggs provided by the New York Department of Environmental Conservation.

New York has provided the same number of eggs to the PFBC each year. Murray also added that, “This will be a cooperative venture between the PFBC and local cooperative sportsman’s nurseries. In addition to the thousands of brown trout to be stocked by the PFBC, approximately 35,000 additional brown trout were already stocked earlier this year by 3-CU and the Wesleyville Conservation Club with the assistance of the PFBC Cooperative Nursery Unit.

The success of the program will be monitored through creel surveys and existing assessment programs over the next several years. Brown trout stocking will be about 50,000-100,000 annually, representing about 5-10% of the steelhead stocking levels.”
CONTACT Keith Edwards 814-336-2426 kedwards@state.pa.us
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/30 23:23:12 (permalink)
Remember a 10% return of stocked fish is about all that is expected with a 3-4 year cycle. NY's Brown Trout program has been going strong for over 40 years with large stockings . Erie will never compare or compete with Ontario without additional funding. Still it's nice to see a mix of Trout in Erie. I remember catching and seeing Palomino Trout years ago and that was always a nice surprise....no more. I wish one of our tri states would experiment with Triploid Trout just for kicks , imagine hooking into 30 lb. Rainbows !  
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/31 08:16:36 (permalink)
Hey Captain I agree with bassackwards post I think they are around but not grouped up as much...as soon as walleye moved out to 70ish ft I heard of perch grouping up in 55 ft of water but then we got all these big blows not sure currently where they are hiding...WCW
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/31 09:20:50 (permalink)
 We will find some this weekend.....the trolling channels will be loaded up with boats trolling anyways, will be nice to drift and drag by myself in hopes to find some hogs. I am heading west towards the trenches......into Ohio. Plan on hitting the outskirts. 

I hope I can steer clear of those pesky walleye.....

Also, what is up with the white bass and sheep-head this year.....we ain't getting a "sheep-ton" of them like years prior. I wonder if a guy ran across and school of white bass if he "might" find the perch. 

With that, just to drag this out......where did the goby's go ?? A lot of fuss a few years about them, but seems like the chatter died off. Could the perch be chasing them for food ? 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/31 09:30:01 (permalink)
Goby-yond where no angler has Goby-fore and there you shall find, the beloved Perch and those dam pesky Walleye feeding on them.

C'mon yinz liked it and, yinz know it.

Good times and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/31 10:12:59 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Goby-yond where no angler has Goby-fore and there you shall find, the beloved Perch and those dam pesky Walleye feeding on them.

C'mon yinz liked it and, yinz know it.

I am speechless.....and need a drink after reading that...!!!!!!!! Well played BTDT....well played. 
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/31 15:01:54 (permalink)
bassackwards

Also, what is up with the white bass and sheep-head this year.....we ain't getting a "sheep-ton" of them like years prior. I wonder if a guy ran across and school of white bass if he "might" find the perch. 

With that, just to drag this out......where did the goby's go ?? A lot of fuss a few years about them, but seems like the chatter died off. Could the perch be chasing them for food ? 

I’ve had the opposite experience. This has been my best Summer for Drum fishing ever. Picking up 10-40 of them most days with jigs, live bait, and trolling. There’s also tons of Gobies where I go for Drum, can’t even fish crawlers on the bottom since Gobies tear them up instantly. That said, I’m not usually fishing deeper than 35’, so most of the Percid water is further out.

White Bass on the other hand have been almost nonexistent this year. I think I’ve caught 2 White Bass and 3 White Perch all summer, fishing everywhere from 8-150 FOW. Nothing like it used to be four or five years ago, those were the days for “silver bass” fishing.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/31 18:07:54 (permalink)
The perch are all in my freezer. I only target spawning perch when there easy.  lol We caught plenty of jumbo's all winter in the bay through the ice. Believe me there still plenty of perch in the pond.
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/31 18:52:37 (permalink)
They are up to route 5

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/08/31 21:57:18 (permalink)
Look at PCQueens perch numbers since 2013 and this will show you that the numbers are way down,as far as walleye being the culprit I don't think so remember the mid 80s early 90s the walleye population was way more than now and we didn't have any problems with finding perch .They were thick schools of fish.   
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/01 17:51:04 (permalink)
I do blame the walleye population for the perch not schooling up, and as for waiting for the walleye to move out to 70 fow, my neighbor and I are killing the eyes in 45-60 ft, haven't had to go any deeper, and that includes in the August heat (we limited yesterday, 8/31, all came in under 55 fow).   Looking like through the ice and spring ice out is the time to get them in the bay.
post edited by pikepredator2 - 2018/09/01 17:53:52
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/01 23:12:30 (permalink)
YEP

I have become comfortably numb
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/02 23:16:33 (permalink)
its a cycle   just like the alleged global warming thing ok

I have become comfortably numb
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/03 08:35:03 (permalink)
Kokanee Killer
its a cycle   just like the alleged global warming thing ok

So you are saying, it's a "natural phenomenon"?     The Perch thingy I mean () and of course fish have to eat too so it's also possible, the Perch decline could be, a result of those pesky stupid Walleye.

Hope everyone's weekend has been a good as mine.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/03 15:19:45 (permalink)
Struck gold !...lol
Nice gold color on this drum.

bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/04 06:16:48 (permalink)
Dang Captain, that is a beauty ! We have got a few this year, and mostly larger fish, but just not the big numbers out deep. Love the gold fins. Looks like a nice day on the water. 

On a different subject - I like the mid-sized ones, take the fillets off, cut out the blood line, cooked over an open fire. They are a good eating fish......meat is really firm like a swordfish. I never understood why people in Erie don't eat them much ? When I lived in western Ohio, lots of people targeted them, and ate them. 

I was on a Charter boat a few years back and the captain wanted us to kill them before throwing them back in.....wasn't happening. He seemed disgusted when we put a few in the cooler to take home. Same with the head boats.....I even had a Dutchman look at us funny when we threw a few in the bucket. Dang, and those guys will eat anything !! 
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/04 06:24:37 (permalink)
Divemaster
bassackwards

I’ve had the opposite experience. This has been my best Summer for Drum fishing ever. Picking up 10-40 of them most days with jigs, live bait, and trolling. There’s also tons of Gobies where I go for Drum, can’t even fish crawlers on the bottom since Gobies tear them up instantly. That said, I’m not usually fishing deeper than 35’, so most of the Percid water is further out.

White Bass on the other hand have been almost nonexistent this year. I think I’ve caught 2 White Bass and 3 White Perch all summer, fishing everywhere from 8-150 FOW. Nothing like it used to be four or five years ago, those were the days for “silver bass” fishing.

Divemaster,

Funny thing with the white bass......we took a ton of big guys when ice fishing off of the Perry plant in Ohio. First year I ever recall the huge schools and numbers through the ice. 

We have got a few this year in the deeper haunts while trolling. Funny thing is, I remember a few years ago if you found the schools of perch, you found the schools of white bass. Many eh day we would hurry to keep bait down so the school would stay put. Always a mixed bag of drum, perch and white bass. 

Glad you are having a great year for the drum, man those guys fight ! It is awesome to hear some publicly say they target them. It is a great resource, and glad to see someone passionate about them. We always enjoy hooking up with one, especially a 10+ pounder on lead-core 350 feet back ! That will wear a guy out !

You are the first guy to mention gobys this year.....I was hoping they were declining. 
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/04 06:27:10 (permalink)
We will be out Thursday, Friday and Saturday working the deep parts of the mountain for Lakers (weather dependent). I might try some smaller baits on a rigger just to see what can be found down there. 

Anyone seeing the steelhead in shallower water yet ?? 

psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/04 15:45:51 (permalink)
bassackwards
We will be out Thursday, Friday and Saturday working the deep parts of the mountain for Lakers (weather dependent). I might try some smaller baits on a rigger just to see what can be found down there. 

Anyone seeing the steelhead in shallower water yet ?? 

Poor Richard's Facebook post on Labor Day claims there are some steelhead coming into the mouth of walnut during the middle of the night, but running back out before first light.

I am very skeptical.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/04 17:52:06 (permalink)
We're talking Sheephead now anybody can catch Steelhead !.....lol

Double before release ( my daughter ) the fisherwomen ! I've heard those Drum can be good eating when par boiled then chilled.....have a Lobster / Crab taste ..... never tried them. Like others I toss them back don't believe in killing them because I heard they eat Zebra mussels. I guess In Fisherman had an article about eating them a few years ago . Salt water Drum are the rave now, can't see these being too far off. They do provide a good fight when hooked drifting...... will try one someday.

Erie Dearie Walleye drifting near Presque Isle .

bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/05 06:47:47 (permalink)
Awesome Captain ! Nice pics, and glad the drifting game is working this year for guys/gals.

I only kill it if I am going to eat it.  And if I accidentally kill it, I am going to eat it (or at least try it). That is how I got to try bowfin. It was like eating a bowl of blubber....not good at all. Gar, on the other hand.....100 times better than I expected (pain to fillet). 

You out of East ave or Lampe......from the looks of the last picture you were heading in that direction. That is one of my favorite places to get a nice sunset picture. Love the lighthouse !
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/05 18:06:11 (permalink)
bassackwards
Divemaster
bassackwards

Divemaster,

Funny thing with the white bass......we took a ton of big guys when ice fishing off of the Perry plant in Ohio. First year I ever recall the huge schools and numbers through the ice. 

We have got a few this year in the deeper haunts while trolling. Funny thing is, I remember a few years ago if you found the schools of perch, you found the schools of white bass. Many eh day we would hurry to keep bait down so the school would stay put. Always a mixed bag of drum, perch and white bass. 

Glad you are having a great year for the drum, man those guys fight ! It is awesome to hear some publicly say they target them. It is a great resource, and glad to see someone passionate about them. We always enjoy hooking up with one, especially a 10+ pounder on lead-core 350 feet back ! That will wear a guy out !

You are the first guy to mention gobys this year.....I was hoping they were declining. 

4-8 years ago that’s how it was for me too, I’d just drift out in 25-40’ with worms and emeralds, it was all-day action with White Bass, Drum, and Yellow Perch. Then the occasional Smallie or White Perch thrown in the mix. Good times.

And yeah Drum are such an underappreciated sportfish! I’d definitely put them in my top 5 game species, no doubt. I had a 10# fish go on a 200+’ nonstop run back in June, and all of the 8-14# fish I’ve caught this summer have gone on multiple 30-100’ runs. Not to mention the way they dive like an anchor.

I’m in the mood for a good Walleye meal about once a month, but other than that I just want to catch fish that wear my arms out! Anymore, 90% of the time I’m fishing open water it’s for either Lakers or Drum.

And as for the Gobies, they seem to be pretty abundant still. I’m not complaining though, since they’re one of the healthiest forage species that our sportfish can be eating. Lean, white meat with plenty of Thiamine makes them an ideal baitfish. They might be invasive, but since they aren’t going anywhere, we might as well embrace them. Can’t argue with how much they’ve boosted the Smallmouth and Drum populations, too.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/05 18:11:09 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
...Like others I toss them back don't believe in killing them because I heard they eat Zebra mussels. I guess In Fisherman had an article about eating them a few years ago . Salt water Drum are the rave now, can't see these being too far off. They do provide a good fight when hooked drifting...... will try one someday.

It’s not just Zebra Mussels, Drum consume large quantities of Round Gobies and Rusty Crayfish, too. They’re pretty much the epitome of an anti-invasive sportfish that are only outranked by Lake Sturgeon, which eat the same things but in higher numbers.
Erie Mako
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 443
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/05 21:10:34 (permalink)

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/06 00:17:42 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Where are all the Erie Perch ? 2018/09/06 09:19:16 (permalink)
That morning we headed out from Chestnut launch. With limited parking there I found Lampe a better overall choice. Faster getting out into the lake also. 
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: