Helpful ReplyMallory Lake

Author
Angelida
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2018/08/19 21:16:15 (permalink)

Mallory Lake

Anyone ever fished Mallory Lake on the Edinboro campus? Is there a good bass population there?
bassackwards
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Mallory Lake 2018/08/20 08:59:38 (permalink)
Nope, and not really. I fished it a few times, never amounted to much. I have heard stories, but never first-hand. They used to offer a fly-fishing course (not sure of they still do??), and they practice at the lake. I know it has some decent gills. 

Not sure of the regulations for the lake now, or if public access is still permissible. 

Hoaky
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Mallory Lake 2018/08/23 10:40:18 (permalink)
There's nice bass.in Edinboro lake
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Mallory Lake 2018/08/31 07:28:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2018/08/31 08:23:41
Hoaky
There's nice bass.in Edinboro lake

Sorry to steal the topic......

The main lake, Edinboro, has been hammered by the Amish this year. This was one of my go to lakes being it is local, but you can't turn a corner without running into the Amish. Last week we saw over 12 boats loaded with Amish. Some were bobber fishing, some were casting, some were bass fishing. Every cut, cove and canal was loaded. From what I saw, I bet there were 40 Amish in total fishing. 

They are killing to bluegill and crappie fishing here. I understand Edinboro needed some smaller gills weeded out, but these guys have decimated the fishery for medium gills. 40 Amish, 50 fish limit....2000+ fish per day, 7 days a week....14000 panfish weekly. This has been going on all year. 

I respect them living off the land, and living off each other, but they are the worse sportsman and conservationist I have ever seen. I used to have a ton of respect for there simplistic ways, not I can't stand to even wave to them anymore. Worse thing, they are breeding this into their next generation. 

I see them by the boat load up in Erie now....
fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 145
Re: Mallory Lake 2018/08/31 10:40:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2018/09/30 19:16:55
I couldn't agree more.  But it's far from living off the land, when you hunt deer on public land in a line of 20+ shooting anything that jumps up, or when you go out and take every single fish out of every public pond/lake you can wheel your donkey cart to.  Conservationism, is not a word that is known to the Amish.  It also infuriates me when they wheel their donkey carts through all the gamelands trails while the rest of us have to walk.  "No Motorized Vehicles Allowed"  --- Loophole!  There is taking your share, and then there is taking MORE than your share.  The blue army certainly falls into the latter category.  

We are all custodians of our public lands/waters.  Sometimes, we need to let some fish go or pass on some animals/birds to maintain quality and healthy populations for the continuation of the sports we love.  We cannot solely rely on the biologists at the PGC and the PFBC to do this for us (nor would I want to).  We all need to chip in and do our part so that we can continue to enjoy these pastimes in the future.  I just wish they would educate the Amish on this somehow.  

Sorry for the rant.  This is a sore spot for myself and those who hunt and fish with me.
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Mallory Lake 2018/08/31 11:46:52 (permalink)
I wish they would put effort into enforcing the law. I have no doubt that the Amish aren't following all the laws like they should. They ended up at Edinboro because they got pushed out of somewhere else. When you see them dropping off guys/gals before they get back to the boat launch, something is going on. 

They have become a religion of greed. Bad enough they don't get taxed fairly and they can underbid contractors to get jobs, let alone have a free for all when it comes to animals and fish. 
RLeBoeuf
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Mallory Lake 2018/09/30 16:18:29 (permalink)
The lake on campus has a very good bluegill population and a decent of pop of smaller largemouth.  I'm not sure if I'd eat anything from there though.  Mallory Run has had a lot of WQ problems over the years, some of them involving solvents and volatile hydrocarbons.

The other thing about the lake is that it is ringed with goose dung that all but covers the surrounding lawn in some places. 

There are fish there  but I think I'll take a pass.. 
PAJAY
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Mallory Lake 2018/09/30 17:17:44 (permalink)
Keystone power dam . I noticed today on the horse parking trail into the woods  there is a sign anyone ever read it ? 
I hope it does not say anything about touching horses but my $ 45,000 dollar truck is ok to lean on ? 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Mallory Lake 2018/09/30 19:38:40 (permalink)
I'm sure not all Amish are law breakers, and I've heard many do abuse the hunting and fishing privileges. Personally I've never witnessed them breaking laws, but land owners I know don't care for most. My beef is they don't or have never served to defend our country and our freedoms ! They share and enjoy all our freedoms and rights, but they have never done their fair share to protect or earn them. They use the religious excuse not believing in killing people, but lookout come deer season ....men, women, and children all out killing wild animals as fast as they can squeeze that trigger.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Mallory Lake 2018/09/30 22:33:02 (permalink)
Anybody know where the next Amish "benefit" fish fry will be held? I hear the slaw and potatoe salad is to die for. 😝

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Jump to: