Help With New Rod and Reel

Author
fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 145
  • Reward points: 0
2018/07/23 19:53:32 (permalink)

Help With New Rod and Reel

I've always been a spin rod man.  I want to try a bait caster set up.  My requirements wound be a fairly long rod (8'?), and quality reel that cast very well and are strong enough to handle musky lures, but also largemouth, pike, striper and catfish fishing.  I know nothing of bait casters.  Help me find something that is reasonably priced (I realize I will buy the rod and reel separate), but also meets my requirements.  Thanks for any opinions and suggestions.

19 Replies Related Threads

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/23 22:58:19 (permalink)
    Musky and Largemouth are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum. For one you need a stout, heavy power rod with plenty of backbone to pull hooks through a bony mouth, and the other is better suited to light or medium power tackle (if you want to enjoy the fight). If you’re looking for something for Musky and large Pike though, I love my St. Croix Triumph Musky. 7’6” heavy-power, fast-action, 2-6oz cast weight. Have it paired with a Daiwa Lexa 300, 7.1:1, spooled with 80# power pro. Couldn’t ask for a more comfortable setup for big jerkbaits and swimbaits. Works great for deepwater jigging 2oz+ baits on Erie and Ontario, too. The whole setup ran me somewhere between $300-350 if I’m recalling correctly.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 08:16:39 (permalink)
    Additionally, for catfish, your probably want something with a clicker. Most baitcasters with clickers I've seen are the round type. Like Abu Garcia ambassadors. There's loads of different models of them with various features.
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 08:36:15 (permalink)
    Thanks guys...

I mostly fish cats and stripers in the spring, so this would predominantly be a muskie/pike rod.  I was just trying to think of how I could get more use out of one.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 10:43:14 (permalink)
    Fomoco, Mopar, or Bowtie . 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 4x4 or more.

The reel needs to be sized for the line you wish to use. Lb test + yards as is the rod for line weight and weight of the lure. Light action vs heavy action depends on how you drive the vehicle and is entirely up to you.

If you are one who enjoys the fight, as mentioned above, than a "lighter action" rod is to be considered. However, a heavy action rod should be thought if lifting snagged sunken boat motors or rip-n-lips is your cup of tea.

For a multipurpose reel, by all means one with a "clicker". As well said above, great for fishing the big-uns that will be running with bait but in addition, a handy device when trolling. But a no no, in my book, if the reel is being used for chucking and chunking lures. Watching that lure whipped out across the water with the clicker engaged is a barrel of chyts and giggles, when someone else does it, not so much if it's you driving.

The reel question (😏 get it, reel?) is how much if any, do you have using a bait casting or level wind fishing reel?

Good times and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 11:17:04 (permalink)
    BTDT,

The only bait caster I ever owned was a small Quantum rod/reel combo I tried out for a bit.  After a week of mastering bird's nests, I returned to my trusty spinning reels.  

Also, I would more than likely fall into the 'chucking and chucking' camp, so I'm thinking the bait clicker is maybe not the way to go for myself.  
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 12:48:08 (permalink)
    Still may want to have a look at Abu ambassadors. Probably allot cheaper than a tranx or Revo Toro winch
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 14:26:40 (permalink)
    fallschirmjaeger
    BTDT,

The only bait caster I ever owned was a small Quantum rod/reel combo I tried out for a bit.  After a week of mastering bird's nests, I returned to my trusty spinning reels.  

Also, I would more than likely fall into the 'chucking and chucking' camp, so I'm thinking the bait clicker is maybe not the way to go for myself.  

Gotcha.......  Here's my two cents.  Bait caster with adjustable magnetic braking system.  However bait casters, while not hard to master usually end up being tossed out, laid aside, if not smashed or deep sixed.   Sooooooo I recommend "NOT" going out and spending a bunch of money for a reel unless of course, you have more money than you know what to do with and in that case, I have a few acres of land with a 'private lake' for sale.   Onnnnnnn the other hand, buying a cheaper-than-dirt bait caster will likely have you filmed and appearing on YouTube as you demonstrate your hate and discontent upon the reel by, smashing, deep sixing or, a combination of both. 

Also the less expensive reels, of course,  are not the best quality and will not last regarding hours of chunking and chucking especially, the larger musky lures that have your bait caster, whining like a siren on a fire truck.

Also, stay away from those combos, unless of course you are a gluten for punishment.  Spend the money on a quality rod built for your intended use and pair it with a reel then practice (patients is a virtue) and that practice is learning how to "first set the reel up" before firing a 6oz lure 10 feet out on the water followed by, stomping your feet, digging at your reel while being filmed for a YouTube presentation.

Longer fishing rods do not necessarily mean longer cast but do aid with hook setting and there is no need to spend additional money for a rod made of high strength "Premium quality SCII graphite" for throwing lures.  Unless of course you have more money than you know what to do with and in that case, don't forget I have some land for sale.  Longer rods are also a burden when casting from shore or close to other objects which need only touch your lure, creating a magnificent "birds nest", as you bring the rod tip forward.

Making a long story short, in addition to the bait casting reel of your choice, I might recommend the option of purchasing a "pick" to assist with knot removal from the reel spool.  This item is inexpensive and  comes in "reel" handy.

Should you choose to continue with your plans, please feel free to let me know as I have a few "tricks of the trade" of which I can't guarantee will even work.

Tight lines and good times.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 16:50:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the great responses.  Would I be stupid to be considering:

8' heavy Bulldawg rod (I have to be able to fit the thing in the bed of my truck)
    Daiwa Lexa 400 6.3:1 reel

That would put the whole set up between $250 - $280.  I hate to spend the coin on a cheaper rig only to feel the need to upgrade later.  Then again as BTDT wisely remarked, there is the chance I may not like the baitcaster rig and end up having to resell the set up later.  It's a catch 22 I suppose and I understand both arguments. 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 17:09:39 (permalink)
    Make that a 6 1/2 to 7 foot heavy action rod coupled to a "bait" caster capable of holding your preferred pound test line.  Caution: there are bait casting reels and casting reels and (in my book) they do not cast the same.   Anyway, here is an article that discusses your very question.  http://www.in-fisherman.c...pike-and-muskie-reels/

PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 19:02:44 (permalink)
    I bought a 600.00 bait caster I had no choice but to master it cause I will never find anyone I know to buy it if I didn't like it . it's my full time bass reel now . also caught salmon on it .
    Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/24 19:06:06 (permalink)
    Calcutta 400b is a tank and can serve as musky and catfish reel. The Okuma Komodo line is decent, but not a Shimano.

Don't use the musky rod for catfish. Buy an ugly stick of something similar for catfish. Check out Tackle Industries for an affordable casting rod. I've several of his rods and have never been disappointed.
    looch325
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/27 11:13:21 (permalink)
    I personally learned on a quantum, now I prefer the abu-garcia Revo series mainly because of how low profile they are, reel fits well in my hand and its not a chore to cast it for long periods of time. Easy to get parts. I do usually change out the crank for a larger one. I have 4 and have the new revo ike pre-ordered and should get it late September. The cheaper abu max series(black and silver max) looks like plastic junk but basically the same reel as revo but made with cheaper parts. I would avoid those and try to find an older generation Revo for around $100 instead of buying a max. 

But everyone is different, you may prefer shimano curado or something else.

They have some plastic parts but Lews and KastKing make some cheap combos with high ratio reels that would be good for topwater. One is called a speed spool, the other Speed Demon. I've casted the Lews version and liked the big crank on it. These are probably good choices to learn with.

I was in D'sSG with my wife and youngest kid the other day getting school shoes and naturally spent most of my time in outdoors section, I saw an "okuna stratus" that looked well made for 50% off($30), there still may be some left. I probably would of bought one if I didn't fear the wife's side eye. I'm a fishing gear and especially lure junkie, I got an addiction

That new company "13" makes some good-looking stuff, "concept" series. No idea if it works well though

Some advice for learning a baitcaster, if you are right-handed get a reel with crank on left side. Wish I could go back in time and do that(not sure quantum even offered it back then). Also, learn with good mono(trilene red box, "smooth casting"), not braid or powerpro. Backlashes are a b!tch with braids and small spectra. Get 14-20lb test, something big and easy to grab when you are picking out backlashes. Mono wont fray like pp if you have to use needlenose or a hook to pick out a backlash. Once you do learn, I definitely recommend power pro but with about 50 cranks of some mono on the reel first as backing, the PP will lay on reel better with the mono backing, increasing cast distance. Oh and make sure you don't overfill the reel with line.
    post edited by looch325 - 2018/07/27 11:21:38
    looch325
    Novice Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/27 11:27:09 (permalink)
    As for budget casting(not baitcasting) reels, the ole abu ambassadeur is great. I have one that is at least 30 years old. Again, getting parts from abu-garcia in Sweden is really easy even if it takes awhile..

If you do trolling, I'd bite the bullet and just get a Shimano Tekota LC, best trolling reel available imho

fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/27 11:33:42 (permalink)
    Looch, 

I'm glad you mentioned about the left handed crank.  Thats how my spin rods are set up and thats how I intended to set up this rod.  I see most people have the right side crank and I wondered if my thinking was bass-ackwards.  I appreciate the tip...
    looch325
    Novice Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/27 11:45:00 (permalink)
    people that learned back when baitcasters were new mainly learned with them on right side, I got my first baitcaster out of a zebco/quantum catalog 25+ years ago and don't even remember seeing a left-hand option. but now I think more and more people are getting them on the left. I read somewhere the reel companies expect left-sided crank reels to sell more than right in near future.

It's just a split second more time switching hands after the cast but I imagine I've lost a few fish over the years because of the crank being on the right
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/27 11:46:26 (permalink)
    Makes absolute sense to me...
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/27 12:59:35 (permalink)
    Bravo on the mentioning of a left handed bait casting reel for a right hander or vice-a-versa. Also the line management, well done.

Trick of the trade for beginners practicing with bait casters. This is a "trade secrete" but I know telling you about it will be safe on this board.

Pull a few yards, say fifty, of line from your reel. Now place a wrap of "painters tape" over the line remaining on the spool and rewind the line you pulled off. This absolutely works.

Also learn how to adjust the bearing tension for the weight of lure you are casting. This is done by turning the bearing cap and not the brake system.

Remember after casting with the wind (if any of course) do not turn and cast directly into the wind without adjustments.

Lastly, allowing your lure to contact an object like a weed behind you, while zinging your rod tip forward, is gonna make for a really really bad day. But will make, for some great chyts and giggles, later in life.

Good times and tight lines.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/07/27 13:01:33

looch325
    Novice Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/07/28 11:49:46 (permalink)
    yeah the tape trick is a must. that should keep any backlashes minor or you may not get any at all if you always cast out all the line down to the tape. 

When I was learning I would take the trebles off a heavy hard lure or just tie on a 1oz bank sinker and cast at buckets and empty paint cans in the backyard.

Stick with it, you will get frustrated but I think it's well worth knowing how to use one. You can be pretty accurate at hitting a general spot with a spin setup but you can really pinpoint with a baitcaster. Both are extremely useful and I always carry both. I use spin setup for follow-up finesse when bass fishing(ned, neko, dropshot, weightless worms after a fish "shows itself" on topwater lure for example, usually works too) or live bait for other species while I cast lures with the baitcaster.
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: Help With New Rod and Reel 2018/08/16 08:13:32 (permalink)
    I would just like to say thank you for all the help.  This set up has been running very well for me thus far.  I haven't had a serious backlash yet with the Daiwa Lexa 300 HD.  I've been using 50 lb mono on the reel, but now that my braid has been delivered, I'll be cutting some of that mono back and tying braid to half the reel.  We'll see how the casting goes with the braid, but I have still been terribly impressed with this reel.  No muskies yet, but I've only had it on the water once.  I was up in Tionesta last week and did well on smallies in the river, but as I said, no Esox takers on the big rod so far.  I'm headed to Woodcock this weekend so we'll see how it goes.   Thanks again...
    Jump to: