Snakes alive !

Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2018/06/05 15:50:24 (permalink)

Snakes alive !

I've heard it ,but never believed it, because I've never seen it.....snakes climbing vertical ...straight up !

Friend sent me this from down near DC....Black Snake

16 Replies Related Threads

Jorge
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/06/06 02:43:39 (permalink)
     Don't stand them!
    cdcaddis
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/26 12:18:32 (permalink)
    I had two black snakes about that size in my garage in the summer.  I was able to hook on to one with my cane and throw it out into the back yard.  But the other, slightly bigger, one disappeared.  At first my wife and I just couldn't find it and I was wondering what to do next.  She kept at it and looked in the corner of the garage above the concrete portion and lo and behold right in the corner between two 2" x 4" was the snake crawling vertically up the plywood. Flipped me out 'cause I'm squeamish around them.  She held a stick above so the snake couldn't get any higher and I used one of those grippers they give people who are wheel chair bound to get items off of higher shelves.  I grabbed the big boy a few inches below the head and carried him outside and let him go.  Now I always close the garage door as soon as I exit it.

Flyfisher for fifty-four years.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/26 13:23:28 (permalink)
    Yep, they are often good climbers.... I was climbing in the rafters of the barn a few years ago, reached my hand over my head to next beam for balance and found a snake skin tucked into the angle between beam and a brace. Intact piece was about 6ft long, figured a black snake.... saved it, coiled it up on top of a bunch of hay I had bagged for a friend to use stuffing a Halloween scarecrow. He didn't see the humor in it when he opened the bag?? 
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/26 13:51:19 (permalink)
    They like the beams....
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2018/10/26 13:56:46

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/26 14:27:24 (permalink)
    I have tow or three garden snakes with several ringneck snakes in my garden every year they love slugs!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/26 22:19:41 (permalink)
    Hi Jigs 🎃

Fisherlady, that is a hoot. 👍

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

olds-Pa
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/27 08:33:33 (permalink)
    When we had our farm, there was 3 old large black walnut tress in the front yard. We would often see a black snake climbing up one just like the picture Captain posted...
    SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/27 15:08:24 (permalink)
    One of my siblings has a pic of my dad with a GIANT black snake he caught climbing a sycamore tree in Mingo Park during a company picnic.  Once, when I was out fishing a farm pond in Wash County I was walking to a section of the pond through some mature pine trees.  Bent over making my way through, I felt a limb fall and land on my back.  When I stood up a little to make it fall off, it turned out to be about a 5 foot black snake.  I'm not afraid of snakes(unless they surprise me; it did a really good job!) and I am no part of Jesus, but I **** near walked on water that day!!  Had several fall in the boat fishing the willow bushes at the Yough, and Stonewall Jackson(WV) but they climbed up and out before I had to do anything.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/29 15:59:19 (permalink)
    Black rat snake.  She's a beauty!  They eat birds and eggs when they aren't eating their weight in mice.  Wish people would stop willing them.  I've been bitten MANY times by them as a kid (we kept them as summer pets) and it hurts less than your cat biting you.  They are as beneficial a critter as you can have on your property.  
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/29 17:43:56 (permalink)
    Larger snakes I simply carry them to the woods along the back edge of the property when found to reduce the chance of injury by lawn mower or dog. Smaller ones I dont bother with. Snakes dont bother me at all and I dont kill them just because they are there.
    Snakes have a place in the system, it just doesn't happen to need to be near my chicken coops, lol.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/29 20:53:15 (permalink)
    I've met some aggressive water snakes in my years...just won't go away sometimes. Had a big one in Hartstown swamp that insisted on trying to get in our little flat bottom boat. Mean buggy !
    Most land snakes seem to vanish ,but those water ones can get on your nerves sometimes.
    Recman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/30 12:44:17 (permalink)
    Fisherlady - thank you for the picture of the barn. It reminds me of my Grandfather's barn. Good memories. Even the day he yelled at me to get out of the barn. There was a long (at least when you are 6 or 7 every snake is long) black snake sneaking up behind me. He used the pitch fork on it. I don't ever remember him raising his voice except that day..
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/30 13:11:36 (permalink)
    @Captain Hook, totally agree on water snakes being more aggressive. Grew up visiting my Grandad's  Southern Md farm and it had swampy area in the woods loaded with cotton mouths and his cellar often had a few inches of water in it along with a few more of the nasty critters. Was honestly the only snake I can say I actively avoided.

@recman.... glad you liked the picture. I love that old barn, even with the uninvited critters that share it. We have a decent group of bats who call it home along with the occasional black snake or milk snake. The snakes like the rafters joints for aid in shedding skins. The hay storage provides plenty of mice and other critters for their food also.
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2018/10/30 13:14:43

Attachment(s)

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/30 14:16:39 (permalink)
    Fishing the Shenango River one afternoon with my daughter and we were wading and catching Smallmouths when a water snake showed up. Slapped at it with my pole and back again it came, after several tries this snake was still after us in the water, finally after a push down stream it disappeared. Once again this water snake had an aggressive attitude !
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/30 16:23:26 (permalink)
    A visitor found about 5 ft up in the oak tree in the yard. It was only about 3.5-4 ft long... and another the same size found being harassed by one of my hens.

Attachment(s)

thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Snakes alive ! 2018/10/31 09:15:59 (permalink)
    Water snakes are aggressive! Same with them water spiders snakes I dig spiders I do not like! I'll scream and run like a girl lol caught my first rattler this summer that's a rush ! The areas they live are just plane beautiful also seen some nice bull elk and a huge bear that was not afraid of us, really made us think about carrying on our snake hunting adventures

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    Jump to: